Author Topic: Jeff Leach on the Hadza diet and microbiome  (Read 7425 times)

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Jeff Leach on the Hadza diet and microbiome
« on: July 13, 2015, 12:45:02 am »
Earlier this summer we hosted Jeff Leach at the Nourish Vermont Traditional Foods and Health Gathering. Jeff studies the human microbiome (gut microbes), particularly in isolated peoples. His talked focused on the Hadza, and he mentions watching them eat meat and organs raw. It's a great talk, you can watch it now on YouTube. Other talks from the gathering can be watched on YouTube also, same channel. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2KLav3ikcM

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Jeff Leach on the Hadza diet and microbiome
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 02:16:04 am »
Thanks. I'd rather read a transcription, though. Is anyone making one?

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 03:52:06 am »
I doubt it. The video's long, and a transcript wouldn't be all that meaningful without the ppt slides that go along with his talk.

Offline kalo

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 05:21:15 am »
I liked all his studies. Although he convinced me to eat enough fiber to make me  -v

did you sign up for american gut?

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 06:58:31 pm »
I haven't yet, although I will. My thought is that I'll eat a very specific diet for a week and then send in a sample to see what sort of a gut micribiome that eating pattern creates. Then change things up and send in another sample, then change things again and send in a third... I'd like to see what eating most raw food does to the gut, and also what eating mostly raw animal foods does. Jeff thinks a largely meat diet will destroy diversity (I had dinner with him after his talk, I don't think he said that in the recording). I'm not so sure.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 07:44:03 pm »
I haven't yet, although I will. My thought is that I'll eat a very specific diet for a week and then send in a sample to see what sort of a gut micribiome that eating pattern creates. Then change things up and send in another sample, then change things again and send in a third... I'd like to see what eating most raw food does to the gut, and also what eating mostly raw animal foods does. Jeff thinks a largely meat diet will destroy diversity (I had dinner with him after his talk, I don't think he said that in the recording). I'm not so sure.

let us know the results, I'm curious. I imagine he's right, but who knows?

Offline kalo

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 08:30:27 am »
Yea, he believes an all meat diet destroys diversity. But admits that saying if its good or bad is just speculation at this point.
 "Sorry low carbers, your microbiome is just not that into you"

Must have been a cool dinner

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 01:42:54 pm »
So eat tons of tubers? haha

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 07:15:12 pm »
Yea, he believes an all meat diet destroys diversity. But admits that saying if its good or bad is just speculation at this point.
 "Sorry low carbers, your microbiome is just not that into you"

Must have been a cool dinner

Was definitely a cool dinner. The chef at Shelburne Farms' Inn, who designed the menu, made it very raw food heavy. It was a delightful 7 course gourmet meal that featured raw oysters, raw salmon, raw mackeral prepared as ceviche, lamb heart tartare, and venison cooked black-and-blue, which was raw on the inside by lightly brown on the outside. There was also a really nice salad course, another raw veg course and a desert with lots of strawberries and blueberries.

Nothing wrong with eating lots of tubers, in my opinion. They feed the gut microbiome, especially when eaten raw.

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 02:39:07 am »
in the video he says he observed a man eat 400-500g in one day! Is this something we should try and build up to?

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 06:26:15 am »
I think it might be useful to do that occasionally, but another point Jeff made was that Hadza fiber intake was highly seasonal. In some seasons they relied heavily on plant foods, so their fiber intake increased. In other seasons they relied more heavily on animal foods and honey, so their fiber intake plummeted. I don't think anyone should attempt to eat 400-500g of fiber every day for any length of time. I can't even imagine how that could happen. I don't think I could do it even if I tried.

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 02:27:15 pm »
haha i know! seems like an excessive amount. But maybe its something worth working towards.

I think he actually said even when they gorge on meat, they will still consume lots and lots of fiber. Ill have to re-listen to make sure. 

Offline kalo

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 09:47:32 am »
Awesome video. I want to study this. I wonder what the next move is for me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk