Author Topic: Resources for getting into exercise  (Read 9025 times)

Offline Tim

• Forager
    • View Profile
Resources for getting into exercise
« on: April 03, 2009, 01:54:55 am »
I want to get into better shape but have no idea where to start with an exercise program. In the past i have never really needed one to feel i was in great shape because i have played sports and/or had a job that kept me in great shape.

Can anybody please list any resources or good plans to get back into shape. I have access to a gym but am not interested in very long workouts, or using a lot of machines. I am also not interested in bulking up or becoming very large. My main focus is core strength and endurance. i have had trouble in the past with herniated discs and sciatica so i really want to focus on my core.

I have started doing cardio and simple dumbell exercises such as squats, curls, bench press on a ball, and weighted crunches on a ball. But really i lack motivation sometimes because i feel kind of lost as to having a plan. Such as the most efficient exercises for me to do, and how often so forth.

if anyone could provide some advice, starting points, or online resources i would really appreciate it!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Resources for getting into exercise
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 02:19:39 am »
Motivation is a real problem unless you're in a job which leaves plenty of free time to do exercise(eg:- olympic rower etc.)

I have personally found that weight-training in the short-term produces large gains but I get such aches and pains from it that it's not worth it and the extra strength is not really functional. A more effective strategy is bodyweight training(ie pressups/situps etc., slightly modified). Again, the trouble is that one needs to do such exercises every single day in order to make it last(though gains seem to take longer to disappear by comparison to weight-training, in my own case).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 05:51:54 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 03:24:07 am »
I use kettlebells. There's tons of kettlebell sites out there.

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 06:43:57 am »
If you want to get in good physical condition with little time on your hands, then INTENSITY is the key - it would be difficult to overstate just how important this is.  In fact, you can get in great shape with just 20 mins a day, of killer, intense workouts.

Tyler has the right idea - bodyweight exercises - pushups, pullups, sprints, lunges, etc.  These can all be done with your own body weight, though I would recommend a little bit of weighted stuff too - dumbells and kettleballs are great.

If you're looking for a day to day training regimine and some good info on creative exercises that engage the whole body in natural movements, then go to crossfit.org.  They even recommend a paleo diet.  Good luck. 
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline Raw Rob

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 07:21:51 am »
For focusing on your core:

I love to hula hoop. I do it for twenty minutes before I lift weights. It warms you up and actually puts you in a good mood. (I like to do it while listening to some heavy metal.) Anyway, you can make a hoop if you can get your hands on some of that underground irrigation tubing and a joint connector. You can also buy them for about twenty bucks on ebay or some other sites. I've been using mine for like two years now. I never get tired of doing it.

Another thing I do for my core is the ab wheel. (A small wheel with two handles on the sides.) This is intense. Only do about ten reps the first time you do it, because it will hurt to laugh, cough, sit up, etc. for the next two days. I was in the Marines, and I did tons of sit ups, but I didn't know what sore abs felt like till I started using an ab wheel.

For my sides, I just hold a heavy medicine ball on top of my head and crunch to each side. I do one side at a time for each set, the slower the better.

William

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 11:39:26 pm »
Lie down and close your eyes, think calm thoughts until the urge to exercise goes away.

Anything else just gives big muscles that you have to carry around and wears out your body.

Offline Tim

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 09:35:46 pm »
thanks for all the tips, im looking at exercises on crossfit. definitely awesome that they recommend paleo foods! seems like a really great and intense workout! also looking at kettleball exercises. im trying to find a daily plan that works best. I guess i made my self sound unmotivated, which isnt really the case, i just get discouraged if i go into the gym and dont really have a plan. im finding good routines though now, thanks all!

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 02:25:00 am »
For focusing on your core:

I love to hula hoop. I do it for twenty minutes before I lift weights.

Another thing I do for my core is the ab wheel. (A small wheel with two handles on the sides.)

What diameter do you make the Hula hoop? Or how long a piece of PVC?
Also can you explain how you use the ab wheel?
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 02:29:45 am »

If you're looking for a day to day training regimine and some good info on creative exercises that engage the whole body in natural movements, then go to crossfit.org.  They even recommend a paleo diet.  Good luck. 
That site was all ads for other providers. Is there something I missed?

al
Cheers
Al

Offline Yume

• Forager
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 05:01:04 am »
I recommend parkour as exercise http://www.americanparkour.com/. I just got started yesterday so I can't really vouch for how well it works. Just look at some of those videos though, I've never seen anyone with so much functional strength. Plus it's very paleo, they look just like monkeys! I'm also starting crossfit today, so we'll see how that goes.

Offline benja123

• Forager
    • View Profile
Hi Guys
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 11:04:07 am »
I do agree with all you guys. But I would like to add more thoughts of mine. The gym exercises will bring you in to a good shape. It is 100% true. But you can also try Swimming. I recommend you this by my personal experience. Also it is not like gym exercises. You don't need to lift heavy weight and also you will definitely have fun while swimming. You can continue this as a hobby also. Hope you will try this.

ALL THE BEST

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 06:52:52 am »
Swimming pool water is horrible, all the chlorine... not that it would be nice without the chlorine either, unless it's a private pool. =/
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline tnlcrossfitter

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 11:28:52 pm »
Tim,
I see someone already mentioned CrossFit but you need to go to the .com site to find the full explanation, history, demos, and affiliates.  Although I would suggest finding a CrossFit facility and not trying to do it on your own. I have been going to a CrossFit facility for about 9 months now and am amazed by how much my overall conditioning and physique has improved. Especially since I have been training at conventional gyms since I was 17 and never was able to get to the point where I am now. Don't wait until your my age to find out that you have been selling yourself short by not participating in a program that produces obvious results.

Regards,
Steve

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk