Raw Paleo Diet to Suit You > Instincto / Anopsology

Breaking : Instinctive nutrition (also) belongs to the history of catholicism !

(1/3) > >>

Ungullible:
 I must reckon : as a former altar boy, I falsely  assumed  my catholic literacy to be good enough to avoid myself the hassle of delving into catholic treatises,  in my hunt for the origin of instinctive dieting. I was wrong.

I finally found the proof that the historical development of instinctive dieting is part and parcel of the catholic tradition. This is a major discovery.

The text was written by a  french catholic  theologian before the XVIIIth century  ( before the   "Enlightenment")  and includes :

1- an elaborate   defense of our natural senses, and the importance of abiding by them. 

4 - an indictment  of  physicians and spiritual directors

2- a defense of raw meat  " if we don't find any agreable taste in raw meat , it must be due to the fact that our tongue has become insensitive to moderate flavors"    ( I'm rephrasing a bit here :  a mere translation would make the text  unreadable because of the peculiar vocabulary ). Before that paragraph, the theologian had written on the obliteration of  the discerning capacity of our senses  by the consumption of highly prepared meats and sophisticated meals.   

3- an attack on cereals  : "we wouldn't eat too much cereals if we were to grind them  with our own teeth"

The motto of this text is  " Our senses only correspond to  the natural order of things, as established by God "

As far as I'm concerned, this extraordinary text is the earliest text in french  containing  points  1-2-3  in the same "treatise". It certainly must be considered as a founding book on our topic, even though there are a few mistakes  here and there (  we are talking about a book published when le Roi Soleil was the king of France, so pardon me ! ).

The problem of this book is that it does not appear in any bibliography of the history of medicine or hygienism (nor do I remember having seen it in bibliography of the history of anti-medical thought) .  As I wrote before , this is what makes this history extremely difficult to put together : not only you have to delve into all fields of enquiry, but you also have to go back to the original texts ( and not trust secondary litterature... )

cherimoya_kid:
Oh for the love of God.

(See what I did there? I made a funny)

svrn:
Interesting, Well there's another thing the catholic church and mr. burger have in common.

Bookworm:
You mean "another thing in common with some  catholic prelates ? "  :)

This theologian  is not really what you would call a complete stranger. Even though he is not known to the average educated man/woman , his name is a "household name" in philosophical & theological  circles around the world, and not only in France. 

This prompted me to check in the abundant secondary litterature related to his works  to see  if any second-rank philosopher had ever spotted the  originality of his hygienic standpoint.  But so far I haven't found a single enlightened comment on this matter !
Not a single one. Amazing, given that the paleo idea has been around for quite a bit of time.

Of course if you are not familiar with raw paleo, you may read the whole thing as a mere bunch of desultory and  outdated  remarks. But once you read this piece with "paleo glasses", you cannot help but think that this guy is simply 500 years ahead of his time........

And you start thinking :

"What the hell have all our fucking scientists been doing in the meantime to make so little progress......? Just count the layers of crap which they  have  dumped on this hygienic tradition,   so that no one  dares to take a serious look on the matter !"

To be fair,  on second thought, it  seems  the same can be said of the various christian churches : "what the hell have they done  in the meantime to clarify this all important  matter ?"   

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind........

svrn:
No I meant exactly what I said.

It seems as though you didnt understand that I am referring to the catholic church and burgers shared interest in "child sexuality"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version