Author Topic: Frequency of food borne illness  (Read 8854 times)

Offline cdewsa4747

• Forager
    • View Profile
Frequency of food borne illness
« on: December 14, 2015, 02:07:21 am »
I've gone through nearly every thread on this forum and there's surprisingly limited info on food borne illness; just some mentions of it here and there.

I'd like to make this as simple as possible so if you could just honestly answer these 2 questions:

1. How long have you been eating raw animal foods?

2. How many times have you gotten a food borne illness?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:41:16 am by cdewsa4747 »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Frequency of food borne illness
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 03:33:40 am »
I have been on a RVAF diet since summer 2001 and rawpalaeo since February 2002. I have never had a foodborne illness per se. I had other things, such as very nasty stomach-pains after eating raw coconut oil and I once vomited heavily soon after eating some very dodgy raw cod-roe. Basically, it seems that my body generally vomits out quickly anything that could do me harm.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 06:09:14 am »
Twice, both from raw shellfish. I've been doing this 11 years, with mostly raw vegan for 4 years before that.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 06:20:46 am »
Never, since 2009. I had food poisoning in 1978, most likely from contaminated condiments (ketchup, mustard, and the like) at a restaurant. Before RPD, I ate occasional raw animal products my whole life - raw seafood, fish, beef - and never got sick from these foods.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 07:46:33 am »
1. 6 years
2. None so far, and I eat my dog's "not for human consumption" raw meat/organ mince on occasion.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 08:57:06 am »
1 year, and I don't even know what you mean by "food borne illness".

There are detoxes you go through, but they're not caused by the food being bad, rather by the food being good, and having the nutrients your body needs to get rid of stored toxins.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 10:14:31 pm »
I've been eating raw meat regularly since 2003.

I cannot conclusively blame any illness I have had on eating raw meat. I once got sick after eating raw chicken, but the symptoms passed after about a day. Salmonella, the illness most commonly associated with eating undercooked chicken, usually lasts several days and its symptoms are generally far more severe than those I experienced. The stomach flu was also going around at the time.

Offline cdewsa4747

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 12:36:18 am »
I once vomited heavily soon after eating some very dodgy raw cod-roe.
What made it dodgy? Was it sitting out for awhile?

Offline cdewsa4747

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 12:44:26 am »
Twice, both from raw shellfish.
Was there a lot of vomiting?

Offline cdewsa4747

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 12:47:07 am »
1 year, and I don't even know what you mean by "food borne illness".

There are detoxes you go through, but they're not caused by the food being bad, rather by the food being good, and having the nutrients your body needs to get rid of stored toxins.
I don't quite understand. Can you explain it in another way?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 02:08:04 am »
What made it dodgy? Was it sitting out for awhile?
Possibly. It could also be a question of harmful chemicals being deposited by the knives. Oh, yes, I also once vomited after eating a few organic apples bought from a mainstream supermarket. The sheer swiftness of the vomiting in both cases  suggests that there might have been some chemical-intolerance etc. rather than food-poisoning as such. Either that, or my body is more acutely aware, instinctively, of raw foods that are not suitable for me. For example, I find the taste of high-meat that has been unaerated for far too long in the fridge to be extremely off-putting.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 02:24:10 am »
Was there a lot of vomiting?

None. The first time I had bad diarrhea for a month. The second I just had nausea and liver pain.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 10:15:19 pm »
I don't quite understand. Can you explain it in another way?

The only kind of "food borne illness" that exists is that which is caused by the food you eat being contaminated with chemical toxins, or having the molecular structure of it's nutrients altered in a negative way by processes such as cooking.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 10:21:39 pm »
The only kind of "food borne illness" that exists is that which is caused by the food you eat being contaminated with chemical toxins, or having the molecular structure of it's nutrients altered in a negative way by processes such as cooking.

Wild animals get parasites from their food sometimes, Dario. If you really want to argue this here, we can.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 12:02:55 am »
Wild animals get parasites from their food sometimes, Dario. If you really want to argue this here, we can.

Yes, but it's not an illness. The animal body either has use for the parasites in which case they inhabit the host, or it doesn't in which case it expels them. The very term parasite is misleading because it assumes it only detriments the host and doesn't give it any benefits. That's not true. Rather they are mutualistic symbiotes, like bacteria.

True parasites are things like lice and mosquitoes, and even then I'm not entirely sure.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 12:14:28 am by dariorpl »

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 12:31:10 am »
True parasites are things like lice and mosquitoes, and even then I'm not entirely sure.
Well, it is not the mosquito that is parasitic, but rather the malaria parasite that it caries. Malaria can efficiently be treated with plants from the Artemisia family, especially Artemisia Annua, or "Wormwood".

http://www.nature.com/scitable/blog/bio2.0/artemisia_annua_a_vital_partner

"Extracts of A. annua, long used as an ornamental and medicinal shrub in traditional Chinese culture, were found to kill the malaria parasite, Plasmodium falciparum. Artemisinin, known in China as qinghaosu (Fig. 2), was identified as the responsible compound (Enserink, 2005)."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk