Author Topic: Avocados  (Read 3273 times)

Offline A_Tribe_Called_Paleo

• Elder
    • View Profile
Avocados
« on: January 26, 2015, 01:20:32 am »
I never thought that sun/vine ripening fruit could play such an important role in digestion. This could help explain why many people have problems digesting avocados, and other store bought "fresh produce."

"The water content of avocado by weight averages 74%. Because avocado is a ripe, watery, enzymatically-alive fruit, it ranks as the most easily digested rich source of fats and proteins in whole food form. The ripening action of the sun “predigests” complex proteins into simple, easily digested amino acids. The fat content (by weight) varies from 7 to 26 % according to the variety, averaging 15%. Approximately 63% of the fat in avocados is monounsaturated, 20% is polyunsaturated and 17% is saturated. Avocados are the perfect source of dietary fat--appetizing in their raw state, digestible, and pure. Another plus is that avocados have no cholesterol."

Another good read

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Dov_Prusky/publication/251927481_Direct_Sunlight_Influences_Postharvest_Temperature_Responses_and_Ripening_of_Five_Avocado_Cultivars/links/0deec52a8809c9a30e000000.pdf

Offline NuclearKnight

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Re: Avocados
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 10:02:12 pm »
I wonder if the avocado fibers become digestible when fully ripe. I imagine the fibers will interfere with protein and fat absorption if not.

I have some guacamole fermenting; fermentation should further improve digestion and absorption.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 12:05:25 pm »
Why are avocados a hot topic?  Can we move this to omnivorous?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 11:25:56 am »
there are some people like Ray Peat who think they are a very unhealthy food.  I find them to weaken me, if I consistently eat them.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 02:41:45 pm »
I find them to be a useful source of raw fat, about the only plant fat that I can easily get hold of, other than nuts.Topic moved to general discusssions.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk