Author Topic: Fats comparison questions ...  (Read 2609 times)

Offline peacethesky

• Forager
    • View Profile
Fats comparison questions ...
« on: April 13, 2009, 12:33:53 pm »
Keep in mind, in case it's relevant, all my pork products are wild-caught, and my beef is all grass fed. All comes frozen. I've been eating all my fats raw.

I love the strip of fat that I trim off the outside edge of pork chops (I give the muscle meat to my friend), particularly the parts which I have to chew and chew and fat comes out when I do so, which has a melts-in-your-mouth bacony taste. It smells kind of gamey.

Today I got four pounds of hog back fat and three pounds beef short ribs. I tried first the former (and then a teeny taste of the latter, which seemed basically the same). Waxy and like candy. No gamey smell or bacon-like qualities. It reminded me of something ... old ice cream ... dense white chocolate .... But I didn't really like it and lost my appetite after only a small amount. Then my stomach felt like "yuck, I wish I hadn't eaten that." And seemed to result in symptoms that I get when my body has difficulty with animal products.

So first of all ...

Why do these external fats seem like how I've heard suet described and not like other external fat I've had raw? Nourishing Traditions says pork fat is 40% saturated, that beef fat is 50-55% saturated and that suet is 70-80% saturated, and I assumed that the texture, etc, reflects saturation level, isn't that right? How can I make sense of all this?

Also, why doesn't my body like them as much as the other kind? How can I make them more digestible/become more able to handle them? Why is it that I'd enjoy eating large amounts of the ribs barbecued or of fatback made into cracklings? Does fat contain any anti-nutrients or bioaccumulated plant toxins that are destroyed by heat? Or does cooking break down tissue or somehow make it easier to digest?

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Fats comparison questions ...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 12:43:00 am »
Very good question. One time I had some pork fat and it tasted better than suet but I did notice it made me feel a little different than suet does after eating. I can eat suet and not have any reaction at all, and the pork fat made me feel something, I can't quite remember, but I felt like if I kept eating it I might not feel too good, whereas with suet it never gives me any reaction.

Offline peacethesky

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 08:26:54 am »
When I said I loved the pork fat I had in the past I meant not only the taste, I felt great from eating it. Whereas when I ate this beef fat, along with this new beeffat-like pork fat, that's when I didn't like how it made me feel. So sounds like your experience was the opposite of mine.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 08:39:16 am »
If you can clearly see one thing making you feel better and tastes better than the other than go with it. Keep in mind that if you're new to the diet things will make you feel different for a while as time goes on. I don't keep track of my carbs and what I'm eating very well, but anecdotally I can tell that the same foods make me feel different depending on what I've been eating recently like amount of carbs and cooked foods.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk