Author Topic: Raw Coconuts Vs. Coconut Oil  (Read 8218 times)

Offline HoneyBadger

• Deer Hunter
  • I'm breaking the mold
    • View Profile
Raw Coconuts Vs. Coconut Oil
« on: July 09, 2016, 11:48:18 am »
I got to thinking about this while enjoying a delicious raw coconut: Does one reap the same amount of benefits by just eating the raw coconut as opposed to coconut oil?  It seems that there are dozens of articles and research out there that glorify coconut oil and often list it's numerous health benefits. Wouldn't it be safe to assume that one could reap the same benefits just by eating raw coconut meat? I would actually think a person could reap more benefits from raw coconut verses coconut oil as coconut oil is usually still "processed" to some degree. Thoughts?
"Each of us a cell of awareness, imperfect and incomplete.  Genetic blends with uncertain ends on a fortunate hunt that's far too fleet." -Neil Peart

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Coconuts Vs. Coconut Oil
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 01:00:21 pm »
I will occasionally eat whole coconuts, though primarily consume the coconut butter, Coconut cream is also good, I dont eat the oil, (but will use it externally , or to make herbal infusions with)

The Oil is touted more so than the whole raw coconut for reasons of marketing and in a consumer culture, just as much as for reasons of health. Whole coconuts have limited shelf life, are much more difficult to ship, and take the kind of physicality and determination to open that the average consumerist simply does not possess. The oil on the other hand is a highly marketable product that fits well within the grocery store paradigm of our times. To its credit VCO is a much healthier alternative to cooking oils like Corn, canola, cotton seed or soy.

For me Coconut butter is the Goldilocks of all preparations, being happy medium between whole raw coconuts ,and the oil....Whole Raw coconut is good, especially when super fresh, though living in Kentucky is not always an option. I have noticed Whole Raw Coconut is a little too much enigmatically laxative activity, though if I eat it for a number of days in a row the laxative effects diminish as tolerance builds, but there seems to be some enzymatic overload level which limits the amount of coconut fat I can consume from whole coconuts.

Coconut oil is too striped down of all the other elements, and I dont care to use it.

I have a theory that the process of dehydrating coconut denatures some of the enzyme factors which in excess cause gastric distress and limit the amount one can comfortably consume? Even the coconut cream seems to have adverse gastric effects in high amounts, compared with the butter..... Coconut butter is essentially dried coconut which has been pureed. Ive made it myself from whole coconuts, but its a damn labor intensive process and very expensive to have bulk quantities of fresh coconuts shipped from the tropics.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doNk1gamdew

A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 06:41:25 pm »
You've not ever eaten a sprouted coconut, have you, Saber? They're amazing, especially the inner "Apple" part.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 01:07:49 am by TylerDurden »

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 01:01:23 am »
Nope never tried it, but I would be curious about where to get one?, or how to sprout my own?

Perhaps coconut can, in the same way as some nuts and seeds, become more easily digestible by sprouting?

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 02:37:42 am »
Sprouted coconut is a completely different food. I don't think the ones we can get at the supermarkets will sprout. I don't know of a way to get one except by going to where coconuts grow, like south Florida.

Offline HoneyBadger

• Deer Hunter
  • I'm breaking the mold
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 09:49:57 am »
I'm glad to hear that raw coconut probably has more benefits because I have been on a coconut binge lately! Honestly, in addition to my raw meat, I tend to average a coconut a day!!! I just crave coconut and can't seem to get enough! Are there any negatives to consider like possible weight gain from eating so much coconut in a day? I feel like I'm craving it because although my meat tends to be marbled with fat, it's still quite lean and so I think I naturally just crave more fat.

SB- I would love to try making my own coconut butter! Just out of curiosity, do you tend to make or buy yours these days? If you do buy it, can you share where you get it from/which brand you get? Thanks!
"Each of us a cell of awareness, imperfect and incomplete.  Genetic blends with uncertain ends on a fortunate hunt that's far too fleet." -Neil Peart

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 09:55:20 am »
Like I've mentioned before, coconut causes weight LOSS, not weight gain.

Offline HoneyBadger

• Deer Hunter
  • I'm breaking the mold
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 11:44:07 pm »
CK- you did mention that, I guess I thought that maybe such large quantities of it might negate the weight-loss aspect lol. At any rate, I'm so glad I have a cast-iron bowel, it never gives me the runs or even makes me have to go! If it did, I probably wouldn't eat so much lmao! ;D

Offline jibrael

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 12:16:59 am »
I will occasionally eat whole coconuts, though primarily consume the coconut butter, Coconut cream is also good, I dont eat the oil, (but will use it externally , or to make herbal infusions with)

The Oil is touted more so than the whole raw coconut for reasons of marketing and in a consumer culture, just as much as for reasons of health. Whole coconuts have limited shelf life, are much more difficult to ship, and take the kind of physicality and determination to open that the average consumerist simply does not possess. The oil on the other hand is a highly marketable product that fits well within the grocery store paradigm of our times. To its credit VCO is a much healthier alternative to cooking oils like Corn, canola, cotton seed or soy.

For me Coconut butter is the Goldilocks of all preparations, being happy medium between whole raw coconuts ,and the oil....Whole Raw coconut is good, especially when super fresh, though living in Kentucky is not always an option. I have noticed Whole Raw Coconut is a little too much enigmatically laxative activity, though if I eat it for a number of days in a row the laxative effects diminish as tolerance builds, but there seems to be some enzymatic overload level which limits the amount of coconut fat I can consume from whole coconuts.

Coconut oil is too striped down of all the other elements, and I dont care to use it.

I have a theory that the process of dehydrating coconut denatures some of the enzyme factors which in excess cause gastric distress and limit the amount one can comfortably consume? Even the coconut cream seems to have adverse gastric effects in high amounts, compared with the butter..... Coconut butter is essentially dried coconut which has been pureed. Ive made it myself from whole coconuts, but its a damn labor intensive process and very expensive to have bulk quantities of fresh coconuts shipped from the tropics.....

So, from where do you get your coconut butter? Do you buy the finished product?

What about the dried coconut flakes that we can buy in the Organic shops? Can we use them to make the coconut butter?

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 01:27:17 am »
I'm glad to hear that raw coconut probably has more benefits because I have been on a coconut binge lately! Honestly, in addition to my raw meat, I tend to average a coconut a day!!! I just crave coconut and can't seem to get enough! Are there any negatives to consider like possible weight gain from eating so much coconut in a day? I feel like I'm craving it because although my meat tends to be marbled with fat, it's still quite lean and so I think I naturally just crave more fat.

SB- I would love to try making my own coconut butter! Just out of curiosity, do you tend to make or buy yours these days? If you do buy it, can you share where you get it from/which brand you get? Thanks!

I buy Artisan brand coconut butter, You can ask for it at your local heath-food store, or order it online. It is the closest thing to home made and raw that I have found. It seems to be fresher and creamier than the other brands on the market. It really helps satisfy the fat cravings, especially when eatten along with generous portions of Raw Ruminant Fats.

I think its great if you can eat a whole coconut a day without issue, there are cultures like the sea gypsies who can live very well on a diet of fish and whole coconut.

When ever I eat whole coconut I usually limit it to about half a coconut per day. Also if you want something extremely decadent and delicious, try dipping small pieces of whole coconut into melted coconut butter...yum

https://www.amazon.com/Artisana-100%25-Organic-Coconut-Butter/dp/B012Q04O6M/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1468171104&sr=8-1&keywords=artisana+raw+coconut+butter

Offline HoneyBadger

• Deer Hunter
  • I'm breaking the mold
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 02:34:28 am »
Sabertooth- Thank you for sharing the link to the coconut butter! I'm going to have to stock up on more....my jar is almost empty l) hehe! And NOOOOO!!!! I haven't tried dipping coconut in coconut butter yet but I'm drooling just thinking about!

*scuttles away to crack open coconut*

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 10:50:46 am »
Of course real young coconuts taste better than vco.

If you lived in coconut land, you can have coconuts any time you want.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline HoneyBadger

• Deer Hunter
  • I'm breaking the mold
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 10:53:22 am »
Coconut land! I wish I lived there!!! :'(

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 11:25:43 am »
I live in coconut land.  Visit some time.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline HoneyBadger

• Deer Hunter
  • I'm breaking the mold
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 08:48:54 pm »
Where do you live, GS?  I'm a gypsy/hippie at heart and love traveling so it's not entirely out of the question! l) :D

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 08:12:08 am »
I live in Marikina City, Metro Manila, Philippines.

I will show you around the mountains and the beaches.

I will make sure you taste many variants of coconuts.

Offline jibrael

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 10:57:18 pm »
Also if you want something extremely decadent and delicious, try dipping small pieces of whole coconut into melted coconut butter...yum

Is it possible that one melts the coconut butter and it still stays raw?
Please tell us how you do it, otherwise I only know heating the butter in the pan.

PS:
Thanks Sabertooth for the advice about coconut butter. I got nothing else, but only the normal store bought coconut flakes. I just put them in the mixer and made the coconut butter.
And it has already brought health benefits for me. Especially digestive system is working better and cravings are going away when I eat coconut butter with animal fat.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 11:51:57 pm »
Is it possible that one melts the coconut butter and it still stays raw?

The fat in coconut melts at room temperature, they say 76 degrees F.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 03:06:33 pm »
most coconut oil is garbage. The exception is traditionally fermented coconut oil.

real raw coconut cream is superior to both.
-----------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk