Author Topic: How open are you about your diet?  (Read 4600 times)

Offline HoneyBadger

• Deer Hunter
  • I'm breaking the mold
    • View Profile
How open are you about your diet?
« on: July 13, 2016, 08:46:10 am »
I'm curious how open all of you are about your diets? Do you eat in front of others at work or keep your nearing on the DL?

When engaged in conversation with an acquaintance, do you openly discuss your diet of the topic comes up?

For me, I tend to eat my lunch (typically a meat meal) at times when others aren't eating because I don't want to make them squimish. However, if they do happen to walk in on me with my face full of a raw meat meal, I will openly answer any and all questions they might have (trust me, I've gotten some pretty surprised reactions). I also openly talk about how this WOE has helped me heal from various digestive issues. If anything, I hope to at least be a walking example of health for what others might consider to be an "extreme" diet.
"Each of us a cell of awareness, imperfect and incomplete.  Genetic blends with uncertain ends on a fortunate hunt that's far too fleet." -Neil Peart

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: How open are you about your diet?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 08:56:44 am »
My raw fish lunch has been kicked off several jobs. I gave up and just started eating fruit at work, and waiting til evening to eat fish.

Other than that, I usually keep it to myself, until people know me fairly well. Otherwise, I just end up being known as the raw fish guy.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 09:50:31 am »
I'm open about my diet, and will eat most anywhere. The thing with me is that since I'm largely raw Zone these days, most of my meals are salad-like in appearance with all ingredients (raw root vegetables for carbs, raw meat for protein, raw suet and/or olives for fat, some raw greens for phytochemicals) chopped up and sprinkled with a little olive oil or vinegar. So someone might look at what I'm eating and not really think anything of it, because the meat isn't so obvious. I have, on occasion, eaten meals that were made up of largely raw meat or broke a few raw eggs into a glass and downed them and gotten questions, but generally once I tell people I've been eating this way since 2003 they tend not to bother me about it anymore as that seems to quell their fears of immanent illness. And I look good, so that helps too.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 10:01:42 am »
Open. If anyone asks what I'm eating, I say, "Sashimi," even when it is clearly a chunk of mammal meat.

My approach is based on not over-interpreting the question. For example, if I ask someone eating a SAD meal what they are eating, I expect a short, informative answer, such as, "Oriental Chicken Salad. I made a whole big thing of it last night." See the period? No explanation is necessary. People really don't care. They are just making small talk.

BTW, this won't work if you are making a spectacle of yourself, gnawing on great big hunks of bloody flesh with blood dripping down your jowls. Use the same table manners, including plates, bowls, utensils, and napkins, just like everyone else. Save the theatrics for your youtube video!

Also, people who know me well enough to get past the small talk - friends - know I eat raw, unprocessed foods. They know why, too. They know how great I look and feel, and they wish they had my discipline to eat well.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 01:15:26 pm »
I do not bother mentioning my RVAF diet to everybody. I sometimes have to eat cooked food in public, though I try hard to order raw steak tartare, beef carpaccio or sushi/sashimi when the opportunity arises. People who know me well  also know about the RVAF diet, but I long ago learnt that I did not need to defend my diet by explaining at length why I am doing it. I avoid eating raw animal food in public unless it is socially accepted, such as raw oysters or raw ceviche.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 01:50:55 pm »
Another thing: I'm older and positively dripping with rules of etiquette, like this one, "Never bring your own food when someone else entertains." I'd rather eat rat poison and look like I'm enjoying it rather than insult my host.

And yet another thing: among my friends, when we eat together, we always go to restaurants. We know each other's dining preferences, so the restaurants we go to have something that's agreeable to each of us.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline HoneyBadger

• Deer Hunter
  • I'm breaking the mold
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 11:07:22 pm »
Cherimoya Kid- Where do you live that you would be chastised for a raw fish meal?!  :o That doesn't sound very fair at all! I didn't even know they could do such a thing over someone's choice of food.

Eric- It's awesome that you have so many years of experience with this WOE, I'm sure it does shut down the naysayers pretty quickly once they realize that the diet must be responsible for your good health!

Eveheart- I think you make some awesome points on the topic of mutual respect. I think as RVAFers, we do have to be extra careful in how we present ourselves, especially during mealtime. I imagine that if one were to let go one's inhibitions completely and just attack a raw steak in front of one's coworkers, the entire scene would probably evoke disgust more so than a genuine curiosity in the diet and it's benefits. Being ambassadors for this way of living and eating, we have the responsibility of presenting ourselves and our diet accordingly, so as to interest others and hopefully not repel them!
"Each of us a cell of awareness, imperfect and incomplete.  Genetic blends with uncertain ends on a fortunate hunt that's far too fleet." -Neil Peart

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 11:58:07 pm »
I definitely do not advertise it in the office.
I eat at my desk.  If I'm asked to go to lunch with a group of people I eat at my desk beforehand.
Few people in the office that i closely work with know about my food preferences but that's about it.
Lately I'm working from home more and more so office inconveniences are not an issue.

Offline FRANCIS HOWARD BOND

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 12:53:14 am »
Quote:
cherimoya_kid:
My raw fish lunch has been kicked off several jobs. I gave up and just started eating fruit at work, and waiting til evening to eat fish.

Other than that, I usually keep it to myself, until people know me fairly well. Otherwise, I just end up being known as the raw fish guy.

Reply:
My "friend" Ian never hesitates to tell everyone I eat Raw Fish, when in my company.   I assume they all call me the Raw Fish Guy, and, as a deep sea fisherman, I find it hilarious!   (Perhaps it is just as well he does not know what else I eat!)
I was told not to eat my Raw Fish sandwich on a coach once by a driver, although usual cold food is permitted!!!   He said it was for the sake of the other passengers!

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 07:54:27 am »
In the beginning, my wife's family said yuck when i started on other animals besides sea food.
Raw sea food is normal in my culture.
I used to live in their compound.

I'm an entrepreneur.  I don't have a problem at "work".
In an important business meeting I will eat what the client eats to get the deal done.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 11:53:57 am »
Im completely open about my diet. I dont act any different than if i ate sad diet.

People now call me milk jar...
-----------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk