Author Topic: Making Pemmican....  (Read 3126 times)

Offline HoneyBadger

• Deer Hunter
  • I'm breaking the mold
    • View Profile
Making Pemmican....
« on: July 13, 2016, 11:49:26 pm »
Hey all!
I'm really interested in making some pemmican but I'm wondering if this can be accomplished if I don't have a dehydrator? I can't really just hang my meat to dry either because there are SO many flies here and it would probably be covered in maggots in a day :'(.  So I'm wondering if there is another way to make pemmican without a dehydrator?
"Each of us a cell of awareness, imperfect and incomplete.  Genetic blends with uncertain ends on a fortunate hunt that's far too fleet." -Neil Peart

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Making Pemmican....
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 12:05:20 am »
I paid very little for a dehydrator. I can't imagine it is a big deal to buy....
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 12:10:48 am »
Did you happen to run across Lex Rooker's pemmican conversations in this forum? His information includes a jerky dryer design made from a cardboard box with these instructions: http://www.traditionaltx.us/images/JerkyDrierInstructions.pdf. I've made and used the dryer and it works just fine. I made some raw pemmican in this manner and didn't enjoy it. I've also made pemmican made with tallow rendered in the regular way (cooked) and I didn't enjoy it, either.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline HoneyBadger

• Deer Hunter
  • I'm breaking the mold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 12:14:18 am »
Tyler- I suppose I could try to buy a dehydrator when I have the funds, problem is, I haven't the foggiest idea of where one would even find a dehydrator! l)

Eveheart- thanks so much for the link to the homemade dehydrator! Also, would you mind sharing your recipe for the pemmican with tallow because I have a bunch of that stuff! Also, I'm curious as to why you didn't like the pemmican? Too dry or not enough flavor maybe? I've never had any type of pemmican before so idk if I will care for it or not....
"Each of us a cell of awareness, imperfect and incomplete.  Genetic blends with uncertain ends on a fortunate hunt that's far too fleet." -Neil Peart

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 12:26:17 am »
Also, would you mind sharing your recipe for the pemmican with tallow because I have a bunch of that stuff!

I followed Lex's recipe. Since your tallow is heat-rendered, what will you accomplish by using it as food?

Also, I'm curious as to why you didn't like the pemmican? Too dry or not enough flavor maybe? I've never had any type of pemmican before so idk if I will care for it or not....

It's hard to explain why I don't like a food, but the quick answer is that I like other food better. I dry age meat like in the old country, by hanging big chunks of it in cool temperatures. I don't need a compact, lightweight, complete meal to take on my journeys.

Some people live on pemmican, or make it a frequent meal. Clearly, they have a different gustatory agenda than I have.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline HoneyBadger

• Deer Hunter
  • I'm breaking the mold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 12:28:07 am »
Thanks, Eve! Guess I'll just have to try it myself and see if I like it!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk