Author Topic: neuroscientist and skincare expert claims water makes skin dry  (Read 9914 times)

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
https://www.quora.com/Does-exposure-to-water-cause-skin-to-dry-out-If-so-why

Claudia Aguirre, neuroscientist, skin care expert
4.8k Views
Yes, after some time. Your skin has a natural moisturizing factor (NMF), composed of water soluble compounds like hyaluronic acid. These are hygroscopic, meaning they absorb and retain moisture. The surface lipids (natural oils) keep this moisture locked in the skin. Long exposure to water removes the surface lipids, allowing the moisture to leak out of your skin, causing dryness. So although initially it can moisturize, when the lipids are gone, water can actually dry skin even more. To lock in moisture after a bath, moisturize immediately after patting skin dry.

It says that initially it moisturizes but then causes dryness. Perhaps thats why it causes immediate satisfaction but you become thirsty again shortly after unlike when getting water in a nutrient bound utilizable state through raw foods?

The question is, if it causes the skin to be dry, why do people think that it doesnt cause the inside of the body to become dry as well?
-----------

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: neuroscientist and skincare expert claims water makes skin dry
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 08:32:43 pm »
In my own personal experience, excessive plain water intake definitely causes dehydration, whereas a primal diet promotes good hydration due to the intake of water that is organically bound to live foods and because of the abundance of fats, which are what is needed to contain hydration where it is needed, in the skin as well as in the rest of the body. That said, a standard diet promotes water retention, which is not the same as good hydration, as you can retain lots of water and still be dehydrated.

Something I've been thinking about, but having next to zero knowledge of chemistry, maybe someone else could give their thoughts on:

We always hear about the importance of anti-oxidants and the dangers of oxidation in the body. Rust is what happens to metals when they oxidize, and that's caused primarily by prolongued exposure to water, whereas if you cover the surface of metals with fats, that prevents rusting by keeping water out. I wonder if something similar may happen to organic tissues in the human body and could potentially be the source of all this oxidation we hear about.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 08:49:26 pm »
yes on the water retention thing. Standard diet peoples fat is watery, with a belly that hangs over their belt.

I have a belly but it is solid, doesnt jiggle like sad dieter fat. Raw fats become solid dense fat in the body, SAD fat is the jiggly disgusting kind we usually see.

btw I have a belly on purpose, i work hard to be as fat as possible to protect myself from toxicity. And believe me, it is very hard to get fat on a raw diet, nearly impossible for me without dairy. It is unnatural to be fat but should be forced for health in this unnatural toxic world.
-----------

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 11:20:15 pm »
Im a fan of lanolin...and mix my own moisturizing oils with coconut oil, cacao butter, and lanolin, which I apply after showering off.

Often if I am just sweaty or am only lightly soiled with natural garden dirt, I will apply the oil first then rinse off in the shower. The oils actually bind to dirt and remove it from the skin without the dehydrating effects of soap. I think the Romans would clean themselves by oiling up and squeegeeing off with a curved blade.

I also use the lanolin mix before sun bathing and it protects from sunburn and skin pealing, and I have this theory that the lanolin helps convert and retain vitamin D.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 12:21:47 am »
Do you drink a lot of water when your blood supply is running low sabertooth? And when your meats are slightly dehydrated from hanging in the fridge for a few weeks. And have you noticed any difference in your general state of health if that's the case?
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 12:37:28 am »
I drink a lot of water generally so dry aged meat or blood dripping fresh does not affect my intake much. In the summer about a gallon, and try to make sure most of it is spring water with a good mineral balance. My brother found a spring about an hours drive away that the locals have tapped and is free which is very good. When he cant drive out there I pay about 15 dollars to buy a 5 gallon glass jug of Mountain Spring water per week.

I notice having to drink large quantities of water has a lot to do with the demands modern life and how I have to work so much out in the midday heat to earn a living, instead of laying back and chilling out the local water hole like God designed us for. Still I dont see it as an issue as long as I have enough blood to drink to replenish my mineral balance....Now on the occasions when I am out of blood for longer than a few days, and am drinking exclusively water, then I do have symptoms of mineral depletion such as cramps, fatigue, and excessive thirst.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 12:53:42 am »
Have you tried having vegetable juice? AV recommended mainly celery and cucumber juice, and a much smaller proportion of carrot and beet and others. I find that as long as I'm having enough vegetable juice and milk, I barely need any water except on very hot days.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 05:38:50 am »
There is a huge difference between what people do who follow AV and what I do. Being low carb and dairy free gives me a much higher water intake need than for people who drink a half gallon of milk, with fruits and vegetable juice each day.

I have tried vegetable juices, but dont tolerate them very well. Celery juice and most other greens and vegetable juices make me feel bad if I drink more than a small amount. Cucumber juice is mild and refreshing, but typically it more trouble than its worth to make. I think green juices in general throw off my carnivorous gut micro flora balance

Also because of the extremely high protein and intake I think very low carbers need to drink more fluids  in order to flush out all the excess uric acid from protein metabolism.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 06:00:58 am »
Vegetable juice's purpose is detox, it is meant to make you feel bad once in a while.

Drinking small amounts can lessen the symptoms. If I drink too much I get diarreah. Unfortunately there is no easy way to make vegetable juice to be drank fresh 3 times a day. To make small amounts of fresh juice 3 times a day is insane. The method for that is to put it in airtght individual serving sized jars with no room for air and keep it in the fridge.

Different amounts of juice are right for different people. Aajonus says there is no reason to drink any juice or eat any fruuit once the body is clean enough.

I rarely drink juice these days due to financial issues. My liquid comes from milk and tomatoes. Juice isnt necessary at all to keep me hydrated but it gives me lots of energy when I drink it in the proper amounts for my body. Eating a piece of unsalted cheese 10 minutes before juicing mitigates symptoms dramatically and mixing with raw fat like heavy cream helps as well.

also juice being made with a masticating juicer is very important. cenrifugal juice is complete garbage, it shoots through the little holes at high speed and is completely oxidized.
-----------

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 09:11:58 pm »
I disagree that unpleasant symptoms are always a case of detox....the gut flora of a carnivore may not necessarily benefit from a vegi juice detox, in the same way you wouldn't give a tiger vegetable juice instead of water to drink.

You are failing to recognize that my protein intake is much higher than the average primal dieter, and so my water intake must be higher to flush out the uric acid. Just as the Inuit and many other meat based dieters across the world are reported to drink copious amounts of water.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 09:28:22 pm »
Id like to see the reports of inuit drinking copious amounts of water. From my research they place intense importance on drinking copious amounts of blood and even have a specific word just for a condition of weakness they say comes from not drinking enough blood and that they only melted ice to drink water in desperate times. I dont see how they could get copious amounts of water as eating snow will quickly cause hypothermia and the crude methods of producing heat in that time would make it very difficult to melt copious amounts of snow. The fact that the vast majority of the ice there is saltwater they would have to work very hard to find areas that were not salt water. I would be very interested in seeing where you read about the copious amounts of water though as I havent come across that yet and love new information.

I dont believe vegetable juice to be a good part of a diet for a healthy individual. The purpose of veggie juice in my opinion is for detox. Yes it has a slightly negative impact on gut flora but its a trade off for the detox.

I dont believe that the best diet for a healthy animal is the best diet for a sick animal. One example is i dont think that it is necessary for a healthy animal in a clean world to have lots of fat on its body. But for an animal living in a toxic world that has a body with generations of stored toxins I believe it to be necessary.

I dont believe it is necessary for healthy person in a healthy world to eat a 100% percent raw diet either, many tribes have proven that. Yet for people like us it is necessary in my opinion because our bodies are not the same as those of our ancestors.

For example we have all eaten a ton of hydrogenated oils throughout our lifetime. This clogs the lymph system terribly and while primitve people may have easily detoxed their cooked food toxins through their skin, we do not have that ability unless we becoem healthy first and to get to that point takes decades at least in my opinion, maybe even generations at the level wev fallen to.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 09:41:12 pm by svrn »
-----------

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 12:23:34 am »
Stefansson lived among the Inuit for an extended period, and confirmed that they drink a great deal of water. Have you looked into Stefansson's work?

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 01:27:55 am »
I watched some clip on the Siberian reindeer herders and it showed that they drank large amounts of water made from melted snow, throughout the day(cant find it right now, but I know what i seen)

I wish svrn would at least acknowledge the reality that people how consume a higher percentage of protein than the majority other humans on this earth, and eat very little hydrating fruits or vegetables, may need more water than what people on an AV style diet.

I feel terrible if I do not drink enough water....are you somehow suggesting that I would be healthier if I drank less water? What is the rational?

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 05:54:58 am »
How many pounds do you eat per days of meat do you eat per day?

Would just like some footage of primitive people on a raw diet drinking lots of water as i havnt found it yet. Iv yet to see an eskimo drink water, but seen them drink blood plenty.
-----------

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 06:21:27 am »
I cant say whether or not you would be healthier for sure as I haven't tried your diet. It is currently impossible for me to get access to raw blood.

I would love to try it one day.
-----------

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 07:22:06 am »
I eat 2.5 pounds or so per day...

I would suspect that water drinking wouldn't be considered interesting documentary footage, and would be largely edited out.

I suspect that blood is nearly essential for the success of long term ZC, I have to have it. And I bet nearly those who claim that ZC wont work are those who dont drink blood and eat all the glands and organs. 

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 07:33:40 am »
Yes I agree. The eskimos put an incredibly high value on blood in their zc diet and I think it cant work without it.

I agree that water drinking wouldnt be considered interesting documentary footage which is why it makes it hard to say whether or not the lack of footage means they dont drink a lot of water. I am still looking for evidence however.

I eat about 1 to 1.5 pounds per day now. WHen I have money I eat about 2.5 as well.
-----------

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 09:31:37 am »
Yes I agree. The eskimos put an incredibly high value on blood in their zc diet and I think it cant work without it.

I agree that water drinking wouldnt be considered interesting documentary footage which is why it makes it hard to say whether or not the lack of footage means they dont drink a lot of water. I am still looking for evidence however.

I eat about 1 to 1.5 pounds per day now. WHen I have money I eat about 2.5 as well.

I would suggest reading Stefansson's book before commenting on the Inuit diet. It's the foundational work on the subject, and you don't even seem to have a basic grasp of its larger points.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 09:52:18 am »
I wonder why the intake of blood or no blood, or dry versus fresh meats makes no difference as to your water intake sabertooth, since blood is 92% water and fresh meat is probably around 85% water and the dry aged meat is probably 45% water or even lower.

I also wonder if there is truth to the idea that if one needs to clease the body of a substance that is normally eliminated through urine, that one needs more water to increase urine volume. It could also be that our body could just increase the concentration in the urine of whatever wasteproduct or toxin is being eliminated, without a need for increased volume.

Is anyone aware of carnivores such as lions consuming water in vast amounts? I know lions will gather at the watering hole during the summer, but I was under the impression that they were there mainly if they haven't caught any prey recently, to replenish their fluids, and because they are waiting for prey who eat dry grass and thus are forced to drink large amounts of water.

Most mammal carnivores, such as felines and canines, don't even have the ability to suck in water with their lips. Instead they must wet their tongue on the water and bring a small amount back up. This to me suggests that drinking water in vast amounts is probably not something they would normally do, but I could be mistaken.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 09:58:45 am by dariorpl »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 10:10:29 am »
I wonder why the intake of blood or no blood, or dry versus fresh meats makes no difference as to your water intake sabertooth, since blood is 92% water and fresh meat is probably around 85% water and the dry aged meat is probably 45% water or even lower.

I also wonder if there is truth to the idea that if one needs to clease the body of a substance that is normally eliminated through urine, that one needs more water to increase urine volume. It could also be that our body could just increase the concentration in the urine of whatever wasteproduct or toxin is being eliminated, without a need for increased volume.

Is anyone aware of carnivores such as lions consuming water in vast amounts? I know lions will gather at the watering hole during the summer, but I was under the impression that they were there mainly if they haven't caught any prey recently, to replenish their fluids, and because they are waiting for prey who eat dry grass and thus are forced to drink large amounts of water.

Most mammal carnivores, such as felines and canines, don't even have the ability to suck in water with their lips. Instead they must wet their tongue on the water and bring a small amount back up. This to me suggests that drinking water in vast amounts is probably not something they would normally do, but I could be mistaken.

Traditional Inuit drink very large amounts of water. So does every VLC or ZC person that I know of, unless they are drinking a water-based beverage instead.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 12:05:07 pm »
I have to ration blood to around one cup ot two cups a day, would probably drink more if it were available, perhaps one day I will get some cattle to bleed out the way the masai do it. Even with the blood and the moisture content of food I will drink huge amounts of water, so we are only talking about a slight decrease in water intake with eating moister flesh

I also sweat profusely when in the summer heat and so need extra water to replenish my stores...other carnivora like lions do not sweat and are not highly active through the day, so perhaps they wouldn't need as much water as a human carnivore, but they still drink from the water hole regularly.

Domestic dogs will gulp down water after running around in the heat.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 06:56:26 pm »
Inuity likely need to drink more water on a traditional diet as a means of getting rid of excess protein in their diet:-

Because the climate of the Arctic is ill-suited for agriculture and lacks forageable plant matter for much of the year, the traditional Inuit diet is lower in carbohydrates and higher in fat and animal protein compared to the global average. When carbohydrate intake is inadequate for total energy requirements, protein is broken down in the liver through gluconeogenesis and utilized as an energy source. Inuit studied in the 1970s were found to have abnormally large livers, presumably to assist in this process. Their urine volumes were also high, a result of additional urea which the body uses to purge waste products from gluconeogenesis.[9] However, in multiple studies the traditional Inuit diet has not been shown to be a ketogenic diet.[10][11][12][13] Not only have multiple researchers been unable to detect any evidence of ketosis resulting from the traditional Inuit Diet, but the ratios of fatty-acid to glucose were observed to be well below the generally accepted level of ketogenesis.[10][11][12][13]

On another point, the next paragraph suggests that the Inuit actually eat way more  carbs than people thought as they ate most of their meats raw or prefrozen:-
Inuit actually consume more carbohydrates than most nutritionists have assumed.[14] Because Inuit frequently eat their meat raw and fresh, or freshly frozen, they can obtain more carbohydrates from their meat, as dietary glycogen, than Westerners can.[14][15] The Inuit practice of preserving a whole seal or bird carcass under an intact whole skin with a thick layer of blubber also permits some proteins to ferment, or hydrolyze, into carbohydrates.[14] Furthermore, the blubber, organs, muscle and skin of the marine mammals that Inuit eat have significant glycogen stores, which assist those animals when oxygen is depleted on prolonged dives.[16][17][18] For instance, when blubber is analyzed by direct carbohydrate measurements, it has been shown to contain as much as 8—30% carbohydrates.[17] While postmortem glycogen levels are often depleted through the onset of rigor mortis, marine mammals have a much delayed onset of rigor mortis, even in warm conditions, presumably due to the high content of oxymyoglobin in the muscle that may permit aerobic metabolism to continue slowly for some time after the death of the animal.[17][19] Additionally, in cold conditions, glycogen's depletion is halted at -18 °C (-0.4 °F) and lower temperatures in comminuted meat.[20][21]
from inuit diet wikipedia page.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 07:03:42 am »
please consider another opinion,,that flax oil is highly polyunsaturated. So much so, that   Within a week of cold pressing it will go rancid in your fridge.  Look past marketing claims to the science of what else detrimental it does to you.  Wish I had links, but with a little effort, you should be able to find them.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 04:50:12 pm »
rami99 is a (human?) spammer. He started out posting just inane, short comments of approval, and, recently, once he reached the point where GS allows people to post links, has done so since. I will remove the posts with links, and leave the other stuff alone.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk