Author Topic: Your opinion on handling raw ground beef?  (Read 6349 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Your opinion on handling raw ground beef?
« on: December 26, 2009, 09:43:12 pm »
Hello,

I'm not a fan of eating raw ground beef, I like my beef whole.

But there is the question of people eating raw ground beef.

Do you grind the beef at home before you eat?

Or do you order beef already ground up?

I seem to have a problem trusting the source if what part they used or do they mix up a couple of different cows and bulls.

Also I'm thinking that the beef degenerates when ground up then stored vs eating it just after grinding.  I feel that when the beef is ground up and stored, there lies the possibility of bad bacterial growth.

What's your opinion on raw ground beef?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
Re: Your opinion on handling raw ground beef?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 11:04:03 pm »
Cheap, easy, never been sick after eating it and I eat standard butcher/ supermarket grade. It makes up 95% of my diet. The butchers often mince older cuts which haven't sold so sometimes theres traces of garlic/parsley/sauces which ruins the taste.

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 02:53:17 am »
I buy raw ground meat when I don't have access to other meats. The stuff is always vacuum-packed - I would never buy raw ground meat exposed to the air, due to past pre-raw superstitions re oxidation(also I don't want to make "high-meat" out of ground meat as I prefer to make "high-meat" from more solid chunks of flesh which can be picked up with a fork; I'd imagine that raw ground meat would dry out far too easily; so, anyway, I want ground meat to be as fresh as possible).

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 03:40:49 am »
I buy mostly pre-ground meats from very high quality sources. Like Lex, I sometimes leave it sitting out, sometimes to the point that it develops a crust, which I like for some variation. Much of it is fresh, but I freeze some and I find that I like to eat some partially-frozen, again for variation. I tried it this way once when I didn't want to wait any longer for it to completely thaw. I think I actually prefer it slightly frozen and can easily see how the Nenets would have developed a love of eating frozen meats.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 06:26:06 am »
Do you grind the beef at home before you eat?

I get much better effect that way.  If ground, grind it myself, and just before eating.

... The stuff is always vacuum-packed -

Me too, I only buy ground meat on rare occasion.  If I do, I prefer it in a vacuum pack.  I don't believe ground meat is healthy like non ground.  Even my cat seemed sick after I had to make her eat ground meat not one but two days in a row.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 10:31:13 am »
I'm eating 100% raw ground 80/20 beef right now (I'm zero carb--I break with 100% raw ground beef when I have a cooked steak on a date or something--but I never eat off ZC). I buy 80/20 right from the supermarket. I don't get sick and I lift heavy weights and do cardio.

I've made the best body composition gains on 100% raw GB.

carnivore

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 03:38:12 pm »
I'm eating 100% raw ground 80/20 beef right now (I'm zero carb--I break with 100% raw ground beef when I have a cooked steak on a date or something--but I never eat off ZC). I buy 80/20 right from the supermarket. I don't get sick and I lift heavy weights and do cardio.

I've made the best body composition gains on 100% raw GB.

Interesting. Is-it grassfed beef ? Do you eat only muscle or also eat organs ? How much do you eat a day ? how long have you been eating like this ? what was your previous diet ? Did you cure any illness with this WOE ?

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 11:12:13 pm »
i also eat the 80/20 ground beef more often than anything else(vacuum sealed but not frozen)

as well as ground elk(which is super lean and sweet, vacuum sealed but frozen:( )

the buffalo we have does not taste as good to me, it comes in frozen, it tastes old and watery, i am looking for a different source (i get to buy for a organic health food store :) ) we have ground lamb which is also kind of watery, i should try both of these again after them sit dry a bit

i am lucky that all of these sources are from within 100 miles of my house (not the localist of local but i live in a large sprawling city)

i have left the ground beef to uhm...higher its microorganism content, for two weeks and it gets a nice brown deliciousness....

the elk tends to dry out because of its lack of fat, i have left a few small/thin portions out on the counter and they dried up in a day (i live in an extremely dry climate)

no sickness from any of these, i know the butcher of the beef, they eat all the cuts raw but have assured me the ground is fine and had suggested that it is best months after its first butchered/processed
i know where the elk comes from and they had mentioned that at the first sign of any disease(wasting i think) they will "get rid" of a whole herd, which actually makes me pretty sad(as im sure it does them) because i am not sure its totally necessary but such are regulations.......

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 07:03:55 pm »
Never had a problem with it. I only eat ground beef never whole cuts because ground beef is cheaper. The beef is frozen.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 10:41:33 am »
Interesting. Is-it grassfed beef ? Do you eat only muscle or also eat organs ? How much do you eat a day ? how long have you been eating like this ? what was your previous diet ? Did you cure any illness with this WOE ?

Hi, carnivore. Follow this link: http://forum.zeroinginonhealth.com/showthread.php?tid=2860&pid=169689#pid169689 to Part II of my journal. In Part II (skip my single life daing posts, lol) I talk a lot about my doing ZC with 99% of the time it being just raw 80/20 GB, in a Fast 5 (5-10PM) eating window.

I only like cooked steak now if I am on a date or with my family. I never eat off plan (off ZC). I prefer raw or superdooper rare.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 09:47:56 pm »
I get grassfed suet (v.cheap) grind it and add it too my grain finished GB. I used to get grassfed GB but heard the butcher was dodge from a friend who used to work there.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

carnivore

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 02:35:15 pm »
Hi, carnivore. Follow this link: http://forum.zeroinginonhealth.com/showthread.php?tid=2860&pid=169689#pid169689 to Part II of my journal. In Part II (skip my single life daing posts, lol) I talk a lot about my doing ZC with 99% of the time it being just raw 80/20 GB, in a Fast 5 (5-10PM) eating window.

I only like cooked steak now if I am on a date or with my family. I never eat off plan (off ZC). I prefer raw or superdooper rare.

Good to see that it works great for you Katelyn!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk