Author Topic: Rendered fat from Wellness Meats - buyer beware.  (Read 16320 times)

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Rendered fat from Wellness Meats - buyer beware.
« on: June 03, 2008, 01:48:50 pm »
Some of you may know that I'm working on expanding my $10 jerky dryer information to include a step by step procedure for making pemmican.  Not everyone may want to render their own fat so I looked for sources of pre-rendered beef tallow.

US Wellness Meats advertises 3 lbs tubs of rendered fat from grassfed beef on their web site.  It is not inexpensive but might be useful for someone who just wants to make some pemmican without the mess and fuss of rendering their own fat for the occasional camping or hiking trip.

I received the fat a few days ago and was rather surprised - it was almost snow white in color when solid and crystal clear when melted.  The fat I render myself from suet purchased from Slanker's is a rich butter yellow when solid and a light golden honey color when liquid.  Ted Slanker tells me the yellow color comes from the Omega 3 fatty acids. 

For comparison I got some fat trimmings from regular grain fed beef from a local butcher.  When rendered it look identical to the tallow purchased from Wellness Meats.  This makes me suspicious that the rendered fat from US Wellness Meats in not grassfed.  The label on the tub only states that it is USDA Inspected Pure Beef Lard.  The only mention of grassfed is in the website address on the bottom of the label. 

Lex

xylothrill

Re: Rendered fat from Wellness Meats - buyer beware.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 02:26:58 pm »
Thanks Lex,

I got some "raw" organic, unsalted butter from there once just to try it. I looked up the company who makes it and read there faq. It said none of their products were unpasteurized:

Is your butter “raw” — made from raw or unpasteurized milk?

No. The cream that is used in our butter is pasteurized using the old-fashioned “vat pasteurization” method. The milk is heated to 145 degrees, and held at that temp for 30 minutes.

This is confusing because the label doesn't say "pasteurized" and US Wellness meats is no longer selling it as "raw." So, I'm not really sure who's to blame for that one.

US Wellness is pretty far north where the food wouldn't have access to green grass much of the year as opposed to Texas. What do they feed them half the year? Would hay be good enough? The proof is in the pudding, I suppose.

Craig

Offline mors01

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 09:11:34 am »
I think that the yellow color of grass-fed fat comes from carotenes, and not omega-3.

http://www.meatupdate.csiro.au/data/MEAT_TECHNOLOGY_UPDATE_99-7.pdf

-Mike

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 11:31:26 am »
Thanks for the link Mike.  The article was very informative and stated that the yellow color of the fat was most likely from carotenes as you suggested.  It also pointed out that the fat loses its yellow color when the animals are grain fed as there are few carotenes in grain or other seed based feeds. 

The fat rendered from Slankers suet is a very rich butter yellow while the rendered fat purchased from US Wellness Meats was pearl white.  I'd say that at the very least this supports Slanker's claim that all their meats are pasture fed only - never any grains or commercail feed mixes.  It appears that the rendered fat purchased from US Wellness Meats is from animals that spent some significant time eating grain or other non-pasture feeds.

Lex

Offline Tom G.

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 11:11:29 am »
 Hi Lex. I make my own pemmican. I render suet that I buy from a butcher in a small town nearby. Mostly, it comes out somewhat golden brown when liquid, and more yellowish or off white when solid. It also smells beefy.
 A while ago, a person suggested that to make the tallow more useful for say; soap, candles, waterproofing, etc, it should be "washed", and then rendered. This basically involves adding as much water as there is fat, and letting it simmer for an hour or so.
 The result is an almost pure white tallow with almost no scent of beef. This may be suitable for all the other practical uses for tallow, but it makes for poor tasting pemmican. The result from this is a pemmican that tastes like dried meat mixed with wax. I don't recommend the washing method for making pemmican. This method may wash out any water soluble vitamins and nutrients that are needed. I ended up ruining a fairly large batch. I'll keep the remaining tallow for other things, I guess, if I ever get around to making anything else.
  So, the reason I'm bringing this up is that I wonder if different companies have varying methods for rendering the suet that will make it look whiter, more pure, and may not taste quite right. I have bought different lards and rendered tallows, but have never been quite satisfied with the products. Perhaps these companies are trying too hard to get a perfectly white product with no smell. I feel that my own way of making it seems to taste the best even though it is not pure white.
  My method is to leave the raw suet over night in a roaster in the oven at 250 F. When it looks like most of the fat has been melted and the cracklings are starting to turn brown, I move it to the stove top. I then scoop and squeeze out the remaining fat from the cracklings ( with a potato ricer? not sure of the name ) and then strain the fat through a cheese cloth while it is still hot into another pot. It then gets heated back up to 250 for another hour or so until all the bubbles of steam have completely stopped.         

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 12:37:49 am »
Hi Tom,
Thanks for such an informative post.  Putting together a detailed step-by-step instruction manual is a challenge and I welcome input from any source that has a better way of doing things.  You can take a look at my previous manual on how to make an inexpensive but very efficient jerky drier from off the shelf parts at a hardware store.  The instructions are on the main site Raw Paleo in the recipes section.

I've tried the oven method but usually just use a large pot with a Candy Thermometer to slowly "fry" the fat making sure that it doesn't go over about 250 deg.  I then strain out the cracklings and use a China Cap (same idea as a potato ricer) to press the cracklings.  I then filter the hot fat through a coffee filter which makes a very clean fat.

I'm interested in how you prepare the dried meat/jerky before mixing in the fat.  I find that I don't like it ground too fine as this makes the pemmican taste like sawdust mixed with grease.  I prefer larger chunks that have been pounded to spread the meat fibers so they will absorb the fat but are still chewy when eaten.  I find a food processor or blender don't work well as they turn the jerky in to powder and make it to fine.  The hammer and anvil process I use works well but is very labor intensive.  Any suggestions?

I also don't add any dried berries to my mix, but will show the drying and grinding process in my Pemmican Manual for those who wish to add them.

Lex
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 04:42:15 pm by Craig »

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 03:07:55 am »
Very interested in this topic. I don't know how to render fat or make pemmican but I really want to learn.

Also I might have asked somewhere else but when you get lard or tallow from a farmer is it generally raw or not? The co op I get animal products from has lard and tallow on their catalog but I don't want it if it's not raw. The guys I talk to weren't sure, the co op is supplied by two farms in Pennsylvania Dutch Country, Amish types but not as strict. I think they call that Mennonite.

Offline Tom G.

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 12:54:14 pm »

Lex

I saw your dehydrator through a link at another forum. It is a great idea and you have spent a lot of time and effort to make this available to all. I appreciate what you have done. At present, I use my oven for dehydrating the beef jerky, but I can only do a few lbs at a time. I might make a dehydrator using your plans.

I tend to like the pemmican quite course just like you do. I have made several batches over the past 4 years, and have tried different methods. What I find that works the best is breaking off small pieces as I watch TV. Usually there is less than a pound of dried strips from each batch, and the small chunks will fit in a 1 liter mason jar. It takes about an hour to break it up. Of course this isn't quite small enough, so it gets run through a blender on the manual pulse setting in handful amounts. I don't worry too much about getting all the pieces uniform, but the smaller the chunks, the more fat it will obsorb. Too fine, as you say, tends to change the mouth feel to an undesirable state ( to me ).

I have tried grinding the dried meat through a meat grinder. It works as long as the meat is very dry. It sort of looks like the shredded beef and pork you can find in the Chinese food section in Super Store. This method also seemed undesirable because even though it doesn't come out as a powder, it is too fine for my liking. Pounding is quite labour intensive but does produce a nice texture. I'm still trying to perfect the best way with the least amount of work.

When I dehydrate the beef, it is done at about 105 degrees F. I know the official temperature is suppose to be above 160 degrees, but at this heat it cooks the meat and makes the pemmican taste gritty like sand. My oven has an adjustable temperature setting with a circulating fan. Each batch (about 3 lbs) is dried until brittle, which takes roughly 30 to 36 hours depending on weather humidity. Strangely, even though it is super dry, it does not come out gritty like the 160 cooked stuff. The jerky is easily broken up by hand. It is a darker color than fresh meat of course, but not nearly as dark ( almost black ) as when done at the higher temps.

The jerky is not spiced in any way. There is no honey or berries either in the pemmican. I do add some spices and/or some vegetables to the pemmican as I am eating it, or just plain. Mostly I eat pemmican as a warm soup or stew rather than a chunk. Either way is good. It is a rather bland meal when not spiced, but that doesn't bother me at all. If it did, I wouldn't be making it as there is lots of work involved. If I could find dried meat that was done at a low temperature and not contaminated with preservatives, I would buy it.

I make pemmican for a few reasons. It lasts virtually forever if dried and rendered properly. I work in a job where it is difficult to get food in some situations, and when there is some it is usually some carby junk food. I also save some of each batch for future food stores ( peak oil and all that doom stuff ). It is very handy to carry as a snack wherever I go. A person can live off of it for months at a time if need be. It can be eaten as is, or cooked as a meal if so desired. To me, it is the ultimate food.

I wish I could buy a suitable pemmican, but I don't see any that exist. There is of course a company that makes it that someone can order on line, but there are not many rave reviews. Of course anyone can make this simply. Lard and dried shredded beef are available in any store. But when I read the labels, I'd rather make my own.

Raw Kyle

If you are buying from an Amish Co-op, there is a possibility that you are getting real unadulterated lard and tallow. The only problem is that all food suppliers have to follow guidelines regarding their products. No one seems to sell food grade tallow without it going through some sort of bleaching process, or preservatives added. It's the same with jerky. You won't find a jerky that has been dried at less than 140 degrees, or that hasn't added preservatives and salt. So, ask a lot of questions before you buy.

The other alternative is to buy raw suet from them or a private butcher. It took me a while to find someone that would sell it to me. Most butchers and grocery stores that are cutting meat are only getting sides of beef, or precut large chunks from the meat packers and won't have any suet to sell you even if they wanted to. Others, I find are worried about your health when they find out that you are not feeding birds, and mysteriously there is no suet available today, or tomorrow.

There is some suet available in our local grocery store in the frozen meat section. It is mixed with flour though and is actually a little pricey for what they are selling. I suppose that the flour helps to keep the ground suet from sticking to itself and is possibly easier for making recipes that need accurate measure. Maybe, since most suet is sold at X-mas time, that it is largely going into Christmas puddings that are mixed with flour anyway. I don't really know the reason why it has to be sold mixed with flour. Oh well.

Ok, so you've managed to find some suet at a butcher. Many people say the butcher will give it to you for free, if you show up and ask for a small quantity, sure, it will be free. Ask for 50 lbs and see what they say. Likely it will be running you about $1 per lb raw, or $2 per lb ground up. Ground is probably easier for most people since it will melt faster and take only a few hours rather than a whole day to render. I get mine raw from the butcher pretty much whenever I ask for it as long as there is a day or 2 notice. He slaughters around a dozen cows a week. Grinding it up, he says, is actually a hassle and gums up the grinder because this type of fat is difficult to clean.

The next step is to separate or grind the suet into smaller pieces, as it comes as a large 1 to 2 lb chunk looking more like a lumpy yellowish organ with thin membranes. It can be cut up into 1" pieces, or just separate by hand. The fat from the suet has a higher melting point, so it will stick to everything like a wax, even to your fingers.Heat in an oven, or like lex, on the stove top with a thermometer at approximently 250 degrees. In the early stage as there is more water, the temperature will pretty much stay just above 225 quite easily. As the water gets simmered off, it will tend to raise, so be careful that you are tending to it. It's easy to get distracted making a large quantity while the fat seems to be taking forever to render, and it can increase in temperature to the point of ruining your fat, or actually starting a fire.

Once the suet is mostly melted and there are not too many bubbles of steam anymore, the chunks leftover can be scooped out and saved for snacks ( crackin's mmm ) or put on salads. I squeeze whatever fat that is left in these brown chunks to get as much fat out as possible, and discard the leftovers. It doesn't seem as tasty without the extra fat.

Strain, or filter this fat as there will be meat chunks and things still floating or settling at the bottom. After you have strained or filtered it you will have a golden brown liquid. But since there may be a little water left in it, especially if the fat was squeezed out of the cracklings, it will need to be further rendered until there are no more bubbles at all. If there is any moisture left in the fat, it will end up spoiling by going rancid like butter or old oil. What you now have is called tallow if you used suet from beef, or lard if it came from a pig. Beef is better as it is harder than pig lard at room temperature and will last longer.

Let the fat cool to around 125 degrees F or until it starts to congeal, and pour it into a container. Mason jars work good, or #10 size coffee cans with lids. Or, if you've already dried some jerky and either pounded it or ground it somehow, you can mix it 1 to 1 by weight tallow and dried jerky to make the pemmican right away.

Some tips.

The drier the meat and the fat, the longer the shelf life.
  Don't overheat the suet. It imparts a bad flavour and breaks down the chemical structure of the fat.
  Adding any other berries, honey, nuts or veggies will lower the shelf life.
  It is my opinion that the meat is healthier if it is dried at a lower temperature as possible.
     ( I have read lots about why the official recomendations want you to "cook" the meat at a higher   temperature, so it is up to you to decide what you want to do. There are lots of websites that will direct you to gov't guidelines for preserving meats. If nothing else, you should read them for your own information. )
  Meat dried at too high temps will make pemmican taste sandy, or gritty.
  Meat should be dried until it doesn't stick to drying racks, and can easily be snapped in half with fingers.
  Do not add hot tallow to your dried meat. It will cook the meat as you are making the pemmican. You should be able to comfortably put your hand on the side of the container and it shouldn't feel hot.
  When the tallow is cool enough to add to the meat, it will start to solidify, so think ahead about what you are going to do, or it will be hard to mix properly.
  When it is mixed, it can be quickly rolled into handful sized balls, or spread into a pan and cut later when it cools.
  Make small batches at first. I've been experimenting for 4 years and still am looking for the best ways to tweek it so it is just right. It sounds easy to just mix dried meat and fat. You may want to try out adding spices etc. If you make a large batch in the wrong way, it will be expensive in time and labour.

There are many different variations and ways to make pemmican. I have done it with coconut oil and fish. I have added raisins and nuts and different spices, or even tried clarified butter and bacon fat leftovers. I've read where Ray Audette has made it from hamburger fat. Stanley "The Bear" makes it and has a good posting of how it is done. Don Weiss has good pics of the process. And of course there are lots of postings in the paleo and low carb forums. It all depends on how much work you want to put into it and what your intended uses are. Mine is for versatile, portable, and long shelf life reasons, so plain pemmican using beef and tallow are the best for me. If someone were just making it for an everyday snack, less care would be required regarding moisture content and some time can be saved cutting corners. For greater ease, keeping the dried meat and fat separate can also be done and just scooped out whatever quantity is required.
  Pemmican can be eaten plain, spiced, raw, fried, or as a soup. Soup is my favorite. Everytime I make it, there are different veggies and spices. Pretty well whatever I have in the house at the time (low carb of course) Only the meat and fat is consistantly the same.
  One of the best resourses I've ever had for making and learning about pemmican was a book by Vilhjalmur Stefansson called "Not by Bread Alone" (or the earlier version "Fat of the Land"). It is a rare book, but has 5 chapters with around 100 pages on pemmican and it's importance in the early years.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 12:49:47 am »
Very nice and complete post Tom.  My experience is much the same as yours.  Finding an easy way to shred the dried meat to get the best consistency in the finished pemmican is the problem I'm trying to solve.  Most people don't want to go to the trouble of pounding the meat with a hammer, and turning it to dust in a blender or food processor just doesn't produce the best quality product.  I'm going to try a meat grinder with a plate with 3/4" holes in it.  My thinking is that the feed screw in the grinder will crush the meat much like pounding it, and by using a grinding plate with large holes the meat will be sheared off in relatively large chunks rather than ground fine.  We'll see.

I purchase my suet from Slankers and buy 60 lbs at a time.  I think the cost including shipping is right around $140 US. Not cheap, but it is very high quality.  I cut it by hand into small chunks, and render it in 20 lb batches.  Each batch yields about 15 lbs so I end up with 45 lbs or so of high quality tallow.  Fifteen pounds just fits perfectly in an 8 quart container.

I use an Induction cook top that allows me to set the temperature that I want to maintain.  Cooking with Induction rather than gas or regular heating elements is wonderful.  You can even melt chocolate without a double boiler and it won't burn or overheat.   

Lex

Offline Tom G.

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 07:25:31 am »

I've tried a meat grinder and it works well, but still grinds it too fine for my liking. It's a lot faster than pounding and does a better job than a blender though. My manual grinder is an old one that was given to me by my wife's mom. The dried meat tends to be ground up by the screw and then cut off by a sort of blade with 3 cutters. There is another blade that comes with it, that has 19 (I counted several times and could not believe there are 19) cutters for a finer setting. This seems to cut it even finer, but also tends to clog the devise so that I have to take it apart and poke the holes with a skewer.

I don't know if all grinders are built with the same design. If your experiment works, I'd go out and buy a newer model or design type just for doing this. Let me know how it goes.

I also buy to render around 50 lbs or so of suet, and do batches of 10 lbs. The resulting 35 lbs fits into a 5 gal plastic pail.

Your stove sounds like a great tool. I didn't know something like that exists. Our stove is 2 years old and was bought because of the dehydrating settings. It has a glass top and heats differently than an element stove. It takes longer to heat up, and longer to cool down when you shut it off. I have rendered a batch of suet on it. The temperature settings on the very lowest setting still gets too hot to leave it for a long time when most of the moisture starts to go. I like the oven method, as I can set it and ignore it like a large roast for many hours without worrying about it. And then use the stove top for the final step to watch the bubbles.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 02:03:15 pm »
I built a couple of large grinders some months ago for a local kennel for grinding their own dog food.  I'm going to borrow one back to give it a try.  They are 2 hp and will go through a chicken quarter bones and all like it was butter.  I'm going to try to attach a picture but not sure how it works so it may not make it.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 02:07:54 pm by lex_rooker »

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 07:39:20 pm »
Thanks for all the information guys.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 12:40:24 am »
So one question, if you see on a suppliers catalog "lard" and "tallow" that means that they are pre-rendered? I'm looking for a way to get raw pure fat to eat with my meat so I can increase my fat % and also overall caloric intake, but the only fat products I see on my catalogs are lard and tallow.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 01:26:42 am »
Kyle,
You are correct.  Lard and tallow are both products where the fat has been heated so that it melts out of the tissue structure and the moisture content is removed as well so that you have pure fat.  In the rendered state it will keep practically forever without refrigeration without going rancid.

Lard is usually rendered pork fat.  Tallow is fat rendered from red meat sources.  There is also a huge difference in the taste and texture of tallow from grassfed animal vs grain fed animals.  The tallow from grain fed animals is almost pure white like Crisco and almost as hard as candle wax.  Tallow from grassfed animals is a bright butter yellow with a consistency somewhere between Crisco and candle wax.  Pork lard is soft and not at all suitable for things like making pemmican.

I've attached a picture so that you can see the difference.  On the left is a tub of regular grain fed beef tallow that I ordered from Wellness Meats. On the right is tallow that I rendered myself from grassfed animals.  The difference is rather striking.  This photo is from the series I've taken to put in the pemmican manual I'm creating.

Lex

Satya

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 01:32:00 am »
So one question, if you see on a suppliers catalog "lard" and "tallow" that means that they are pre-rendered? I'm looking for a way to get raw pure fat to eat with my meat so I can increase my fat % and also overall caloric intake, but the only fat products I see on my catalogs are lard and tallow.

I get raw pork fat from Burgundy Pasture Beef.  I am sure if you call, you can get raw beef fat too.  Just ask to talk with Wendy Taggert about it.  They ship nationwide ... most things.  It will be frozen.

http://www.burgundypasturebeef.com/

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 01:38:12 am »
Kyle,
If you'd like a sample of the tallow I render I'll be glad to send you some.  I just rendered about 50 lbs so I have plenty to spare (3 two gallon containers).  E-mail me at lex_rooker@yahoo.com with your address and I'll send you some.

Lex

rawrock2

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 05:52:04 pm »
US Wellness is pretty far north where the food wouldn't have access to green grass much of the year as opposed to Texas. What do they feed them half the year? Would hay be good enough? The proof is in the pudding, I suppose.

This makes me suspicious that the rendered fat from US Wellness Meats in not grassfed.  The label on the tub only states that it is USDA Inspected Pure Beef Lard.  The only mention of grassfed is in the website address on the bottom of the label.

Are you all suggesting that meats from US Wellness should not be purchased if you're looking for grass-fed, grass-finished meat??  This worries me because I was just about to put in an order with them and Northstar Bison.  Does anyone have any info about Northstar Bison and their meats?

On a broader scale, how do most of you all discern whether or not the meat you intend to purchase from your various suppliers is actually what the suppliers say it is??  (i.e. grass-fed, grass-finished, no antibiotics, no hormones, etc.)  The meat is very expensive so I expect it to be 100% percent what they say it is not a bit less. 

William

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 11:36:08 pm »
Not all tallow is equal, for instance the last fat I got was that found around the kidneys; it's pure white, and tastes like candle wax.
Before, I got muscle fat, and it was like Lex's photo but not quite so yellow and the pemmican tasted better.

It's from farm beef, probably not grass-fed organic, but also not feed lot commercial.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 01:02:36 am »
I've heard only good reports re the quality of NorthStar Bison's grassfed bison. It's only US Wellness Meats that has a bad rep, judging from USers reports.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 01:18:01 am »
I've heard only good reports re the quality of NorthStar Bison's grassfed bison.
NORTH STARThats what I get from the store.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 01:26:52 am »
I don't have any complaints about US wellness meats... they're who I order from and I think they're fine.
They have really nice people that work for them too. They even published a comment of mine in one of their newsletters!

Offline PaleoKyle

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 08:39:43 am »
I don't have any complaints about US wellness meats... they're who I order from and I think they're fine.
They have really nice people that work for them too. They even published a comment of mine in one of their newsletters!

Do you get the fresh shipments?

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 09:04:41 am »
No, frozen. I get 50 lbs. of ground beef at a time, so I'd have to end up freezing them anyway.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 01:04:46 am »
Below is a response I received from Wellness Meats - see attached .pdf for ISU test results.

---------------------------------

Subject: Rendered fat from Wellness Meats - buyer beware. - Raw Paleo Diet Forum

Van,

Thank you for bringing this up . . . Interesting read.  I have very little spare time in my life and would have never known this was going on.

Our tallow has looked the same from day one.  Our omega 3 ratios have been stellar every time they were tested at the ISU meat science lab.  No starch is included in the diet from start to finish.

Note PDF attached with a the tallow demonstrating a better ratio of omega 6:3 than two lamb cuts tested in June.  Lamb will usually be hard to beat.  1.65:1 is pretty good compared to grain fed at 20:1.

The only things that make any sense are as follows on my best guess:
•   Jim Gerrish, PhD grazing guru, who worked for Univ. of Missouri for 20 plus years indicated the trick was to get cattle to gain in excess of 1.5 lbs. a day on quality forage and management to reduce the yellow fat.  If done properly you will not see the yellow fat.
•   Wheat pasture is famous for yellow fat and a lot of winter wheat pasture can be found in southern Oklahoma and North Texas.
•   We only harvest animals under 30 months of age.  If cows were in the mix, then one would expect to see some yellow fat.
•   The last explanation might be rendering technique involving temperature and how much material is separated off after melting.
In closing, we simply render the suet into tallow/lard like our ancestors did 150 years ago.  We add nothing to the product to enhance color, flavor etc.  It has always been pearly white in color.

Thank you for bringing this up and feel free to post the pdf.

John

"Our Animals Eat Right So You Can Too!
U.S. Wellness Meats
P.O. Box 9
204 East Lafayette
Monticello, MO  63457
PH: (877) 383-0051
Cell: (660) 341-2789
Fax: (573) 767-5475
URL: www.uswellnessmeats.com

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2008, 07:30:10 am »
That's interesting van, thanks for checking that out.

That being said, i decided to place an order from Slanker's this time.

I do think that Slanker's meat is somehow of better quality than US Wellness's... well, when comparing their ground meats at least.
The meat from slankers is a lot dryer and more marbled. It seems to have a lot more substance to it, unlike the US wellness meat which is watery and thin in comparison.
Also this slankers meat fills me up way way quicker than the us wellness meat did.
Just some observations...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk