Author Topic: Cross Country  (Read 5769 times)

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Cross Country
« on: May 01, 2017, 01:09:29 am »
I will be Driving from Kentucky to Arizona to pick up a beef order on May the 9th. If there are any Raw Paleos that live not too far off the trail, who would like to meet up, feel free to send me a message
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 01:24:02 am by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Country
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 08:42:41 am »
I would love to as I'm getting tired of Indiana Amish beef.  Unfortunately I'm way too far off.

Just to compare how much is it per lb?

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 10:44:35 pm »
Where do you go?  Cascabel?

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 02:22:40 am »
I would love to as I'm getting tired of Indiana Amish beef.  Unfortunately I'm way too far off.

Just to compare how much is it per lb?

I've gotten some good sheep from Indiana, there is some rich land around there, if you can avoid all the big agra corn/soy areas.....For the most part I am happy with what sheep I can find locally, but I do get tired of having sheep all the time and sometimes I need extra fat and organ meats to supplement my needs. The Beef around here is hit or miss, most operations are too reliant on cheap fescue, and industrial methods. for some reason or another many of the local so called "grass fed" Cows do not taste very good, and their organs do not look or taste very healthy. The Arizona Beef has a much better taste and the organs seem much healthier, so its worth the trip down. The kidneys of the Arizona Beef is deep and dark colored, with an excellent flavor, while much of the Beef kidneys in my parts has pale colored and unpleasant taste. I often wonder if some of the quality issues may be a combination of processed and treated hard water, limited variety of forage, overgrazing, too much reliance on cut hay, vaccination and worming drugs...

At least I know the Arizona cows are wild ranged without any treated water, cut hay, drugs or vaccines...I would also be open to scouting out any potential sources closer to home, if any one knows of such a Primal Quality producer between Kentucky and Arizona, I would be happy to stop by on the way out, to taste what they have to offer.

The cuts are priced differently, Ground beef goes for around 10$ per pound, steaks for around 14$ per pound...the marrow bones are outrageously high 13$ a pound, and they are also outrageously delicious, which is why demand is so high...the rancher tells me he knows people who will pay over 20$ per pound for marrow bones.....but the organs and fats he sells for much cheaper, liver is 10$ a pound, the suet 3$ per pound, kidneys 6$ a piece, sweetbreads 5$ a pack, and I forget how much the tongue.

He will give a better deal on the bulk orders, and Ive been talking about making a deal on a whole animal if there would be a couple of other people to split it with?

I could bring back samples, for people near the route, if anyone would is interested in meeting up near the highway back.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 02:31:29 am by sabertooth »

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 02:26:40 am »
Where do you go?  Cascabel?
Im picking up in Chino Valley

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 05:03:00 am »
I get the whole thing, 4 quarters, delivered to my house once a year at $4.5/lb.
It would be cheaper if I could slaughter it onsite and take complete animal with me and get all the extras like lungs and everything else.  Even if I could rent a truck I have no means of lifting 900lb animal.
Even worse, I don't know anyone in Chicagoland who also butchers beef for themselves.  Everyone I know who orders beef from Amish rather pay more and have it professionally cut.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 01:46:39 am »
You don't necessarily need to be able to lift an animal to butcher it, although it does make it easier. Once the cattle is dead on the ground, roll it on its side or on its back and skin it so its hide is spread out, hair-side down, on the ground like a big tarp. You can even tie it down by driving spikes into the ground and tying them to the edges of the hide. Then butcher the carcass as it lies on the hide. As long as the meat and organs don't touch dirt, you're good.

You need a few people to roll the carcass around at first. It gets a lot lighter once you remove the organs, which I'd do first, perhaps even before you start skinning it.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 04:22:53 am »
The problem is I cannot butcher it onsite since animal seller does not permit it.  I have to take it off the property.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 04:42:17 am »
See if you can rent a pickup with a winch in the back. I've seen guys load whole moose into the backs of their pickups by tying the neck to a winch and winding the animal up an incline into the back of the truck. Once off-site, you could even skin, gut, and quarter the animal in the back of the truck. Just a thought.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk