Author Topic: Meats fully digest leaving no waste?  (Read 11363 times)

Offline Pumkin

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Meats fully digest leaving no waste?
« on: July 06, 2017, 11:08:28 am »
So I was reading Fiber menace & Gut Sense and the author states meats (cooked im sure in his world, I know raw is even better) are fully used/absorbed by the body, very small amount left is ash.

..."What little remains from digested foods is called ash, and ash represents between 0.2% and 1.2% of total stool weight. This means if you eat a pound of meat, cheese, or rice, only 1 teaspoon of ash, about 5 grams, will reach your bowels, not enough to play any role in a bowel movement or constipation."

Really, there basically no waste from meats?  You know most ppl think/preach it's meats that rot in the colon, it's all meats fault...bc "meat is constipating". But really it's the fiber foods - like all these plants (veggies but fruit is pretty low fiber yet it's still fiber) we base our raw diets around???

Now I really wonder if it is healthy to go a few times a day, or everyday for that matter!? Maybe it's all been the opposite - maybe we're wearing out our bodies by eating fiber?

I may experiment and cut of solid firm produce for awhile, stick to green juice and raw meats and eggs. Maybe even do that most of the time if that's healthier and easier on the body. 

Thoughts? Wisdom? Experience?

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Meats fully digest leaving no waste?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 08:29:37 pm »
The info you've provided dovetails pretty well with my own experience. I've gone stretches where I've eaten solely animal foods (not just muscle meat, but also organs and fat deposits from various parts of the body) and didn't have problems with constipation at all. I also noticed that my bowel movements became less frequent, and were smaller (lower mass of poop each time). This does seem to suggest that the meat was used more thoroughly than plants were, though it certainly didn't eliminate bowel movements. Others who contribute to this forum have done this for very long periods, hopefully they'll chime in.

I haven't read that book, but put it on my reading list so thanks for mentioning it. I don't think I buy the idea that fiber is inherently bad. There are many types of fiber in various types and parts of plants, and some of them are more useful than others in our gut. If the author wants to demonize fiber from cereal grains, I'm right behind him. I'm definitely NOT on board with the idea of demonizing fiber more generally. Fiber from the roots, stems, leaves and fruit of plants can benefit the gut in many ways. Many of these types of fiber serve as food for our gut bacteria, so eating a diverse array of plants can promote a diverse gut flora, which yields many health benefits.

I have a friend who works with the Hadza in Tanzania (Africa), and he says they eat upwards of 50g and sometimes as much as 200g of fiber every day. They're quite healthy. None of that fiber comes from cereal grains though. It comes from nuts, berries, and various parts of wild plants, particularly roots and tubers.

Offline Pumkin

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 09:40:22 pm »
Thank you Eric!
The author targets just what you said, fiber from grains and of course the fiber supplement industry. The thing is there is  absolutely no other source I have ever come across that says meat does not disrupt the functioning of your bowels. So if he's right, what a mass lie bring told in about every arena of dietary theories.

I've also read that if one eliminates all other foods except clean animal foods for a period of days, the body's intestines have a chance to cleanse and reset . This is so far off from what most gurus say "meat rots inside you, stops up intestines, if your not eating it with fiber to push it through...."

Interesting, but not surprising, about your friend in Africa .
Personally the only source of fiber I feel physically comfortable after eating is sweet and non-sweet fruits. Vegetable fiber acts like grain fiber in me, upset spastic gut. I eat very "wai" like (raw fish, eggs, and fruits) but I'm considering giving my intestines a good break so that means eliminating fruit for a few days, weeks, or longer.

Im so much better the last several years if allowing my body to be the guide, not health experts, but I still find myself having to work out the brainwashing I took in for a very long time, decades of eating lower fat plant based vegan (bulk based meals with lots of natural fiber) and the diet industry that followed with lots of vegan propaganda that animal foods and there fats cause cancer, heart disease, Etc....

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 11:26:52 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Pumkin

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 09:43:22 pm »
Sorry, i didn't spell check that well enough, but I'm sure you can read over "berger" knowing I meant "better" and any other auto messes. 

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 11:47:45 pm »
Yes, I figured out what you meant. You can go back and edit posts, no?

Also, it occurs to me that plants are not the only source of undigestible fiber. Fungi provide it too, in the form of oligosaccharides. Animal foods also provide undigestible fiber in the form of certain types of collagen in connective tissue. What defines the 'fiber' we get from various plant foods is the fact that it passes through our stomach and small intestine without being digested. If we use that definition, we also get fiber from animal foods too. So a diet that consists entirely of animal foods is not a fiber-free diet.

The friend who worked with the Hadza, his name is Jeff Leach. He founded the American Gut Project, and the Human Food Project, among other scholarly ventures. He's spent time studying the reindeer people in Siberia, who subsist almost entirely on reindeer meat, milk, and organs. They eat very little plant material, but still end up eating a fair amount of undigestible fiber owing to all of the connective tissue they eat. I think he said they eat much of their food raw, though they do cook some of it.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 03:01:50 am »
Monastyrsky is too radical in my opinion.  He is not friendly to any plant food.  He is advising not to consume coconut oil/butter just because it is made from plant.

As far as meat digestion I think Monastyrsky is exaggerating.  There is plenty of connective tissues in meat that do not fully digest especially in tougher cuts such as beef legs.  I see strands of it regularly in my poop.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 05:49:57 am »
I agree from my own experience that meat digests fully leaving very little waste. While fiber especially psillium seed absorbs water and increases in volume when it hits my intestines. Just think! If enough people eat enough fiber they can literally make a mountain out of a molehill; and the revers can be accomplished by eating meat!

Offline Pumkin

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 07:23:57 am »
Ok Now I'm  very excited about doing this experiment and longer than before! before I lasted 3 or 4 days without produce (veg/fruit).  We were traveling so I was limited to cooked animal foods .  And the last two nights I woke up in the Mid of night with terrible Charlie horses and very hungry .

I have been higher fruit this past year than ever before. I went to an  acupuncturist today and he said after the exam my system is "moving slowly, digestion is weak, and very damp. Along with sleep isn't good".

ERIC interesting point on fungi and meat connective tissue and collagen.   I didn't realize that about collagen. I'll look him up, and the gut project 👍🏻 I'm done with vegetables unless something miraculous happens to my gut, fruit is so much easier on my system. 

I agree YS, he's very exaggerated in his ways of sharing. But if he's using stats, like saying only .2 to 1.2% of meat eaten is passed into colon and in form of ash I'd hope he didn't make that up to shock readers.

Thank you SURFSTEVE!

Im taking it you all added a couple tbl of fat to your meals correct?

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 07:41:01 am »
Like you I haven't  been eating very many vegetables at all lately. Even the salads I make are mostly from cucumbers and tomatoes which are both technically a fruit. Most of the vegetables I take are in the form of herbs and spices and I use them to flavor dressings and meats. I did buy some vegetables while at the market today though. Thought maybe I wasn't eating enough of them. Hope they don't go to waste!

Offline Pumkin

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 08:04:45 am »
SURFSTEVE how about juicing the veggies if you don't eat them? Or blending them into a raw soup! If ever i have veggies with its fiber included it's raw soups, sometimes I drain the fiber out but I always pour it over spiraled cucumbers or zucchini with black oilves 👌🏼

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 10:55:50 am »
I was juicing tons of vegetables before I went totally raw. I think I may have went from one extreme to the other. I've believed for a long time that herbs and vegetables are the antidote for all the toxins in meat. I guess I'm still trying to find the right balance.

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 05:57:50 pm »
It's up to how your own experience has taught you that your own body works. Some people need vegetable fiber, and others do not. What's more, sometimes the same person's body needs vegetable fiber at some points but not at others. Experiment and learn, just keep track of your bms and err on the side of caution and you'll be fine. Also keep in mind that the more cooked your meats are, the worse they are in terms of constipation. Cheese is always bad in this sense, but cooked cheeses are worse. Nevertheless, you should only eat small amounts of cheese at a time if you want to avoid constipation under most circumstances, although different types of cheese are different. The less whey they contain (harder, drier cheese), the worse they are in this sense.

AV spent most of his life being highly constipated with his very low fiber diet, believing that fiber was not the right way to get the intestines to do their work, but many of his clients did fine on his diet. He did cure his constipation once he finally got intestinal parasites to take a hold. It may be important to notice that he had a surgery that removed his ability to secrete hydrochloric acid in his stomach. That could be the reason for the constipation, since meats in particular need large amounts of hydrochloric acid before they're ready for proper digestion, and in his case he could only secrete this throughout his intestines.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline a_real_man

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 11:07:08 pm »
My experience eating raw meats is that the amount and frequency of bowel movements is much less. At the same time, my stomach feels light and not bloated. This suggests to me that meats are indeed digested much more fully.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 11:58:52 pm »
You talk about vegetables for their fiber content, dariorpl. I think you are overlooking their medicinal qualities. A dog will normally only eat grass when it's sick.

Offline Pumkin

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 12:27:59 am »
A_REAL_MAN yes, common sense right. We do get fed lots of BS Through worldly systems, but were born with divine intelligence to see our way through it, yet were taught not to trust ourselves either so we've got to wake up to ourselves eventually to experience the freedom and peace we carry inside.

ERIC I've been reading about the reindeer ppl, so interesting the conditions we can adapt to. I don't think those that live in those conditions live super long either but isn't it bc of the weather conditions, not  necessarily the diet? That's the thing, like blue zones, foods not the main component to why they live long.
I'm really only asking about cutting fiber (fruits/veg) but keeping animal foods(not dairy -Im intolerant of it anyways) and juices in to give my intestines a short break, basically benefits of a fast without loosing weight.  I just wanted to know from real people's experiences that have eaten only meat for periods that it doesn't actually constipate you and stop up your colon due to no fiber to move it along.
 I know a juice fast is ideal for giving the intestines a break but I'm 5'3 100 pounds,  it would be scary to see how small that would make me .

DARIORPL - I'm not familiar with AV. But sounds right, esp parasites and he was eating cooked meats?  I've seen people using turpentine to get those parasites out very successfully .

SURFSTEVE- before raw?  If you don't mind me asking what does your diet look like now? Are you feeling better than you did before?

Offline dariorpl

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2017, 06:47:02 pm »
Pumkin:

AV or Aajonus Vonderplanitz only ate raw foods. He considered parasites to be a good thing, but they refused to live in his body for most of his life, something he attributed to the fact that his body was too polluted from a poor diet and lifestyle and medical treatments early in his life.
We now live in a world where medicine destroys health, law destroys justice, education destroys knowledge, government destroys order, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banking destroys the economy

Offline Pumkin

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2017, 09:58:17 pm »
??🤦🏻???this morning it came to me out of no where, "aajaonus V. " but you replied Before I could get on and let you know I got it 👌🏼

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 02:19:22 am »
SURFSTEVE- before raw?  If you don't mind me asking what does your diet look like now? Are you feeling better than you did before?

I eat raw beef, fish, nuts, fruits and vegetables. I like to put either vinegar or lemon juice on everything but the fruits. Before raw my diet was pretty healthy and was pretty much the exact same diet only I cooked about half my food and ate the other half raw. I had also eaten a little chicken and rice back then.  I been feeling fantastic till last week when I got a severe back ache. I think it might be from detoxifying too rapidly.

Offline Pumkin

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 05:07:29 am »
Also keep in mind that the more cooked your meats are, the worse they are in terms of constipation.

How about steaming white fish? Or what's the best way to prepare fish for best digestion/assimilation that "needs" to be cooked? Any fishes you've avoid cooked and/or raw?

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 07:14:58 am »
I eat jars and jars of pickled herring. Been considering doing it myself so I can make it without the sugar they put in it. Right now it's the only thing I still eat that contains processed sugar and distilled vinegar, both of which are cooked foods. I pickled some onions to go with it and used raw vinegar and spices. Going to try adding fish as soon as I get around to it.

Offline Pumkin

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 09:26:00 pm »
I eat jars and jars of pickled herring. Been considering doing it myself so I can make it without the sugar they put in it. Right now it's the only thing I still eat that contains processed sugar and distilled vinegar, both of which are cooked foods. I pickled some onions to go with it and used raw vinegar and spices. Going to try adding fish as soon as I get around to it.

Is this the only cooked animal food you still consume?
What differences do you notice, if any, in your body from eating raw meats/fish/chicken(?) from cooked meats/fish/chicken?

I just know in order to live the life I have (travel especially)  I'm going to have to eat some cooked animal foods at times so choosing the least negatively impacting ones & preparations of them is what I can do 🙂.
I'm thinking steamed white fish or seared tuna/salmon isn't terrible and I can find that at most places/restaurants. 

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 01:26:22 pm »
Pickled herring isn't cooked. It is raw; even when you buy it from the store. The only thing cooked in it is the fact that it's made with conventional distilled vinegar and sugar; both of which are heated during processing, which is why I would like to start making it myself so I can make it with raw cider vinegar, and raw honey if I want it sweetened which I probably wont; and have it totally raw. I have more energy going raw and fewer health problems. You can easily find jars of raw honey while traveling. You can also go to the meat department and ask them to slice your meat so you can eat it right out of the package without too much trouble. You can even ask them to grind it for you. I love ground heart. Every supermarket I have ever been to does that for free.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 01:32:15 pm by surfsteve »

Offline Pumkin

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 08:05:40 pm »
Pickled herring isn't cooked. It is raw; even when you buy it from the store. The only thing cooked in it is the fact that it's made with conventional distilled vinegar and sugar; both of which are heated during processing, which is why I would like to start making it myself so I can make it with raw cider vinegar, and raw honey if I want it sweetened which I probably wont; and have it totally raw. I have more energy going raw and fewer health problems. You can easily find jars of raw honey while traveling. You can also go to the meat department and ask them to slice your meat so you can eat it right out of the package without too much trouble. You can even ask them to grind it for you. I love ground heart. Every supermarket I have ever been to does that for free.

Both great ideas!!

Although that would make business dinners very awkward to either never eat or pull out a package of raw meat 😄.
The topic that started this thread reminds me of an article/link I came across on marks daily apple -top ten nutritional myths - http://www.biblelife.org/myths.htm

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 01:54:37 am »
That's why I always just order a salad when I am eating out socially. Have you considered ordering steak tartare? If it's not on the menu perhaps you could ask for it.

Offline Pumkin

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 09:52:53 am »
Yes,  definitely I will 😀
I was Looking up some things on meats in the forum &  saw many long term raw meat eaters say that theres not much, if any, difference they noticed in eating red meat cooked rare/med rare compared to all raw. It's all about not cooking/heating the fats, which turns them rancid. So I'm not as concerned about the repercussions if I have to order rare over raw. I've been to restaurants that offered seared tuna salad and they refused to serve it to me raw, they were required to sear it. So I just cut off the cooked part when they served me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk