Author Topic: The Science of Lying  (Read 2334 times)

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
The Science of Lying
« on: July 19, 2017, 03:23:41 am »

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: The Science of Lying
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 11:35:25 pm »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 11:52:36 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPisV4lkyO4
Just thought I'd let you guys know. If you remove the "s" from the https your videos will post as embedded instead of as links. Pardon me if you already knew that and intended to post them that way. The s in https stands for secure and secure and apparently keeps them from being embedded. 

Watching your video now. Quit profound!

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 12:32:54 am »
One thing I noticed was Terence claimed the octopus was communicating to other octopi through language and implying the others understood what the colors meant but I'm not really sure how well they did or if it was indeed a language at all. I suppose of a smile or a displayed attitude is language it is and that just the way language can be interpreted as lying so can the colors of an octopus or a smile. Makes me wonder. If you are feeling sad and going around displaying a smile are you lying? If you carried it to the extreme than just about everything about life is a lie. I guess when it gets down to it, everything but the “f” is. Also I'm not sure I agree with his thinking that psychedelics hold any more truth than language In fact in a way they are another language and therefor must be equally capable of lying...

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 12:40:21 am »
Are we really capable of truly understanding anything or are we only capable of relating to it? What's the difference?

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 12:58:48 am »
I guess the concept of a lie, lies in the act of deception. What is the difference between deception and concealment? I'm told that people are capable of lying by omission but is this true? If it is than everything I've posted above is true but I don't know if it is. If you ask me the password to my bank account and I refuse to give it to you I am guilty of concealment but not deception. Right? But then isn't the mere act of hiding something a deception? Isn't a chameleon deceiving it's prey by concealing it's self among the environment?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk