Author Topic: Steak Aging Goes Beyond Weeks to Months for Some Chefs  (Read 3468 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Steak Aging Goes Beyond Weeks to Months for Some Chefs
« on: September 18, 2017, 07:42:43 am »
Steak Aging Goes Beyond Weeks to Months for Some Chefs

The hottest menu item at New York restaurants may be a plate of rotting beef.

Dining spots around town are offering steaks that have been aged anywhere from 90 to 180 days, pushing the limits well beyond the typical aging period of 21 to 45 days. Restaurateurs and chefs say the added time allows for greater tenderness and depth of flavor than the norm.

“I’ve been describing it like the taste of roasted hazelnuts and dehydrated mushrooms,” says Billy Oliva, executive chef of Delmonico’s. The lower Manhattan restaurant is marking its 180th anniversary by offering a 180-day dry-aged bone-in rib eye, served on a keepsake plate, for $380. The special is offered through Oct. 14.

There is also the care that chefs take to make sure the beef, which generally sits in a temperature- and humidity-controlled environment, doesn’t develop too much “green fuzz,” as Mr. Oliva calls such unchecked growth.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/steak-aging-goes-beyond-weeks-to-months-for-some-chefs-1505653202
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Steak Aging Goes Beyond Weeks to Months for Some Chefs
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 02:21:53 pm »
The catch re the above is that I have been informed that this so-called "aging" is always done at chilling-temperature(ie 2 to 4 degrees Celsius), so high enough to avoid freezing of the meat, but low enough to slow down aging.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk