Author Topic: Talk about Durian  (Read 58608 times)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Talk about Durian
« on: May 24, 2009, 08:25:26 am »
I'm in the province in the south and they grow Durians here.
So I bought from the outlet of the big farm yesterday 4 total kilos of durian.
Without the shell, it's still a lot. So relatives who love durians shared in it.
I love the smell of durian, while some people hate it.
I like the sweet and fat creamy taste of durian.
Some people are deathly afraid of durian being extremely high cholesterol and my uncle says he had a friend who died after mixing a lot of durian with beer!  Good thing I don't drink beer.

Your thoughts and experiences with durian?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Talk about Durian
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 08:41:10 am »
haven't had one since going zero carb, but man are they delish! definitely my favorite fruit. and im sure i get pretty crappy quality ones in the states so i can only imagine how good a fresh one from over there tastes. for those curious, i'd describe the taste as a marriage between banana, butterscotch, and onion. sounds gross but its amazing

Offline rafonly

• Buffalo Hunter
  • fpc=811
    • View Profile
sorry! tyramine again!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:24:47 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian
"Durian fruit contains a high amount of sugar,[27] vitamin C, potassium, and the serotonergic amino acid tryptophan,[41] and is a good source of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.[35][32]
"Southeast Asian folk beliefs, as well as traditional Chinese medicine, consider the durian fruit to have warming properties liable to cause excessive sweating.[47] ... Pregnant women or people with high blood pressure are traditionally advised not to consume durian.[13][48]"

http://www.elzbietacosmetics.com.hosting.changer.nl/lib/KING_AND_QUEEN.pdf

"Although durian is so much appreciated (some say that you may get addicted to them), there is not much information available on its chemistry. Eating durian is said to “heat the body” (i.e. significantly raise blood pressure). In combination with alcohol eating durian may even result in a stroke. Durian and alcohol do not go together well. Recent research revealed that MonoAmine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOI’s) are responsible for this phenomenon. 

"Harmane alkaloids (see also our column on “Passion Flower”; SPC, April 2004) are well-known (naturally occurring) MAOI’s, harmaline being the most active one. When neurotransmitters (mostly monoamines such as serotonin, noradrenalin and dopamine are released they may either be re-used or converted to the corresponding N-oxides by monoamine oxidases (MAO’s). In the body the neurotransmitter concentration is elegantly controlled, mostly to control blood pressure.

"Tyramine, produced by fermentative decarboxylation of the amino acid tyrosine, belongs to the group of monoamines and occurs in aged cheese, wine, pickled products, chocolate, banana and avocado. Inhibition of MAO’s by MAOI’s such as the harmane alkaloids will result in increased levels of e.g. noradrenalin or tyramine in the blood, causing significantly increased blood pressure. Thus, harmane alkaloids may be used for the treatment of low blood pressure. 

"The presence of harmaline in durian kernels as well as in the fruit pulp has been confirmed. It will, in conjunction with alcohol, induce hypertensive periods, whereby the blood pressure is raised to absurd high levels, sometimes even reaching life-threatening values of 300. Durian is also a source for tyramine. In absence of alcohol tyramine is converted in the gastro-intestinal tract swiftly to the corresponding N-oxide, but this conversion is greatly inhibited by harmaline in the presence of alcohol. Thus, the tyramine level in the blood reaches unacceptable high levels, eventually leading to a stroke. The same happens when eating banana’s or avocado’s while drinking alcohol, particularly when the fruits are overripe.

"Durian seeds contain high levels of cyclopropenoid fatty acids, mainly malvalic and sterculic acid; these fatty acids contain 18 and 19 carbon atoms respectively. They cause sterility and other physiological disturbances involving fatty acid metabolism, including liver and gall bladder enlargement. It has been suggested that the toxicity is due to the addition of the cyclopropene ring to the sulfydryl group of proteins; the cyclopropene ring is highly strained and adds easily to a wide variety of substrates.

"Recent fundamental research revealed that cyclopropenoid fatty acids, in particular sterculic acid, inhibit Palmitoyl and Stearoyl CoA Desaturase (PCD, SCD). These enzymes convert palmitic and stearic acids into palmitoleic and oleic acids respectively. As the consequence of PCD or SCD inhibition palmitic and stearic acids levels are increased, at the expense of palmitoleic and oleic acids. Due to the inhibition of PCD & SCD the fluidity of the lecithin membranes is greatly reduced, which enables small molecules or ions to escape via the membrane to the outside world. A nice example of this phenomenon are chicken fed on cottonseed producing eggs with yellowish egg white due to iron ions that escaped from the egg yolk. 

"Cyclopropenoid fatty acid are not exclusive to durian seed (which contains 60-65% cyclopropenoid fatty acids). They also occur in e.g. cottonseed oil, kapok seed oil (Ceiba pentandra) and baobab oil (Adansonii digitata). Cows fed on cottonseed produce hard butter because of the inhibition of PCD & SCD; their butter contains significant higher levels of palmitic and stearic acid than normal butter."

"time & gradient precede existence", me

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 01:26:28 pm »
Very interesting the effects these plant foods have on the body/brain. These fruits seem to have an imbalance of amino acids which cause problems unlike red meat.

Look how it makes DurianRider act.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 06:52:19 pm »
I'd love to try out durian as it's one of the many exotic fruits I've never tried. I probably won't do well on it as most tropical fruits isn't as good for me as things like berries etc., and its plant-fat content worries me as well, given prior experiences with other plant-fats. Still, it's always worth a try.

. I had a look in Chinatown, years ago,  but no luck - the fruit I'd thought was durian turned out not to be. I wonder if there's a Filipino market somewhere in London(or a general southeast asian one?)
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 09:29:29 pm »
Dude, I've seen loads of these around the Banglatown area. I'm pretty sure it's the same fruit unless there's an exact look a like. Try the market near Whitechapel station, the shops all the way up commercial road towards brick lane and on brick lane.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 10:09:41 pm »
I love durian.  I wish I could get fresh, non-frozen durians here without paying $80 US for them.  The only place in the US that you can get fresh, non-frozen durian without mail-ordering them is in Southern California, 3000 miles away from me.  They're a little bit high-carb, but they're a great treat.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 11:53:38 pm »
For the record, I asked a guy in Whitechapel and they were jackfruit not Durian. Dunno if any of them are Durian, but guess not.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 08:16:21 am »
I've never had durian. Guess I'm gonna have to go get one and try it out.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 07:08:49 pm »

When I was in Thailand during the durian season, I fed almost exclusively on durians for two months and I was feeling great. “Almost” means perhaps 80 to 90% (in calories) since I sometimes ate some fish, tomatoes, sapotillas or jackfruit as well. I also ate a lot of durians in Sri lanka and Indonesia where common varieties are closer to wild durians.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 07:54:21 pm »
Hmmm.... thailand in Durian season...
I know Durian tastes really good.
But 80 to 90% durian each day for 2 months?
Sounds insane  :o

How did you feel during those 2 months?  What did the durian diet do to you during that time?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 09:04:54 pm »

But 80 to 90% durian each day for 2 months?
Sounds insane  :o

How did you feel during those 2 months?  What did the durian diet do to you during that time?

Yeah, it sounds insane, but as I felt very well I went on till I left the country... The good thing is also that after eating 2 or 3 durians you don't feel hungry for 24 hours ! So you don't need to worry about what kind of delicious foodstuff to find for your next meal: durians will do !

But I am also a big raw meat eater at times.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Bam! It is Durian Season!
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 09:15:47 pm »
September is durian season in the Philippines. Oh man, last week and this week me and the kids have been raiding the supermarket durian. We are buying durian every other day. And I am glad it is durian season because this fruit is FATTY.

Now if you look at http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/2088/2 for durian analysis it says there are more carbohydrates than fat in durian, well my tummy says that durian FAT is very very filling. I get this craving to eat lots of durian… but I just cannot… it fills me up… just like that! Funny thing is I see it in the kids too… except for my 6 year old boy… he can gobble up more durian than I can.

*** I must warn you beer drinkers to not mix beer with durian. It is a persistent and true urban legend that mixing beer with durian may be fatal to your health. ***

I have observed that some people are born to love the smell and taste of durian: There’s me, my father in law, and the children… from the very first time we smelled durian it was love at first smell and first bite. We love durian smell as the car air freshener and refrigerator air freshener.

Now some people absolutely hate the smell of durian. These spoil sports are very violent about their repulsion of durian. In durian cities like davao and general santos city I have heard that hotels have a no durian policy. Durian rights! Durian rights! Durian rights!

I heard from my father in law who just flew back from general santos city and they were selling durian there at 28 pesos per kilo! Awesome! My wife’s friend and her mother at one time actually flew in to davao city to purposely go on a durian binge and flew back to manila after they had their fill.

I’m still waiting for the buy one take one offer in Tiendesitas. I hope they push through this month. Last year was bad for durians, this year promises to be better.

We buy packed durian sometimes for convenience and assurance of ripeness

This is what Durian Fruits look like

from http://www.myhealthblog.org/2009/09/13/bam-it-is-durian-season-smooth-tasting-yummy-smelling-very-much-filling-durian/

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 12:49:20 am »
GS--

I wonder what it would cost to have you airmail me 1 or 2 fresh durians.  This thread is making me crave them.  :)

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 03:10:07 am »
Iguana,  I too have fasted on Durians.  Most addicting.  But after going zero carb now for a couple of years,  I wonder how I would fare with eating a food with such an insulin demand?  What are your thoughts? if any. 

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 07:04:31 am »
GS--

I wonder what it would cost to have you airmail me 1 or 2 fresh durians.  This thread is making me crave them.  :)

I have never done that.  I will ask the courier companies.

I think there are online shops that are equipped to air mail fresh durians.  Thailand is the mother source of durians you are looking for.  And their durians taste the best.

http://www.google.com/search?q=durian+online&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 07:28:09 am by goodsamaritan »

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 08:57:23 pm »
Cool. Is that jackfruit next to them?

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 09:01:47 pm »
They are all durians.
The green ones are unripe.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 03:52:51 pm »
Iguana,  I too have fasted on Durians.  Most addicting.  But after going zero carb now for a couple of years,  I wonder how I would fare with eating a food with such an insulin demand?  What are your thoughts? if any. 
It wasn't a fast ! Or are you actually fasting on meat ? Are you addicted on meat ? Insulin demand ? What's that ? I don't give a dam about it - for whatever it might be.

Cheers
Francois

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 11:42:17 pm »
HI,  I was using the word fasting only to say that Durian was all I really wanted.    I thought you were a raw low carb eater?  What I was indicating is that now that I have been zc for a couple of years I wonder how I (my body) would do with a food (durian) that creates such a high insulin response (from the high amounts or sugars/carb).  It's also an almost unique fruit in that it's fat and sugar content are both high.  Some write that that is good, in that the fat slows down the sugars entering the blood, others write that the fat fruit diet is one of the worst combinations.    But from what you wrote, it appears you are not interested in insulin responses from foods you eat?    I don't believe I am addicted to meat,  although, now, there isn't much that does my body as good, ( and of course it's complimentary fat).   But that's me, at this time in my life.    Hopes this helps clarify things. 

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 02:36:32 am »
HI,  I was using the word fasting only to say that Durian was all I really wanted.    I thought you were a raw low carb eater?  What I was indicating is that now that I have been zc for a couple of years I wonder how I (my body) would do with a food (durian) that creates such a high insulin response (from the high amounts or sugars/carb).  It's also an almost unique fruit in that it's fat and sugar content are both high.  Some write that that is good, in that the fat slows down the sugars entering the blood, others write that the fat fruit diet is one of the worst combinations.    But from what you wrote, it appears you are not interested in insulin responses from foods you eat?    I don't believe I am addicted to meat,  although, now, there isn't much that does my body as good, ( and of course it's complimentary fat).   But that's me, at this time in my life.    Hopes this helps clarify things. 

I'm not a low carb eater, I choose my raw paleo food instinctively and therefore I'm not interested in whatever they are supposed to contain and whatever metabolic response they are supposed to trigger  :). As you say, some write so and so, some write the opposite... but no one really knows and no one will ever be able to know exactly what is happening in the almost infinitely complex biochemical reactions of digesting and assimilating different foodstuff contain billions of different kinds of molecules by different bodies at different times of their lives.

The only parameter I care for is : do I like it or not at this moment ? ;)

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 03:22:38 am »
  Hey thanks for writing back.  I think we may have more in common that we thought.  I visited for weeks at a time, maybe five to six times, over six years the instincto castle in France.  So obviously I am very well versed in instinctive forms of eating.    I'll always remember watching a mother putting food in front of her baby's face and the baby pushing it away over and over till I wanted to literally go up to the mom and say 'your baby just isn't hungry'.   Well of course, as the story has it, just at that moment the baby found with the next offering, just what it wanted and ravished it down.  And then the whole process started over, with me once again almost going to the mom and saying that she is full and isn't hungry.  And then the baby found just what she wanted and wolfed it down.  This happened maybe my first time there.  It was a very big lesson for me.  Also I 'enjoyed' hearing and witnessing how the children rarely if ever got sick/runny noses etc....   
   Years go by, and here I am.  Now I believe I understand first hand the science, if you will, behind insulin resistance and it's ramifications.    What got me to try low to zero carb was a statement made by a zero carb eater who said that fruit eaters would rather get sick than give up their fruit.  That's all it took for me to look at my attachments, my beliefs, and ideas.   So I made an experiment.  I gave up carbs, knowing that it wasn't going to kill me.  My mind had to go through some pretty thick dogma to get to the other side.  And my body had to go through some equally rough times to Keto adapt and to learn to use fat as fuel source.     All I can say is that from that experiment I have now truthfully witnessed both sides of at least one equation.   If you might be interested in reading some very well written words about the effects of insulin from eating carbs, may I suggest the writings of Dr. Ron Rosedale.  I think he is most sincere in his efforts.   We all have our own paths.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 03:32:25 am »
Thanks Van for your answer. Do you speak French ?

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 11:20:18 am »
No, not really,  so I wasn't able to sit in with,  I forget 'his' name, Mr. Burger.  Most of my time was with Nicole.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2009, 06:07:41 am »
I LOVE Durian, too.
Think I could eat only that..mmm..mm. Crazy.
I order it maybe once a week / twice a month. I dream of travelling to Thailand and eat/drink only Durians and young coconuts.. :P
Like heaven for me. -\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk