Author Topic: What's your fave raw fat source?  (Read 9075 times)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
What's your fave raw fat source?
« on: May 24, 2009, 10:15:54 am »
I've not tried many raw animal fats, so I'm interested in what people like and why. 

The muscle fat is not appealing to me, I think it is just the consistency.  Tallow made from muscle fat I really like... maybe too much, it's almost addicting which I think is bc it's cooked (as opposed to some inherent need), so I don't eat it very much.  Egg yolks are so satiating for me.  I often add a couple to a raw red meat meal and that is just perfect.  But, I have yet to try suet and bone marrow.  I've been trying to find local sources, but seems I may end up on-line for it.

Also, about the bone marrow... what is the difference between straight leg and knuckle?

Thanks!

PS I didn't mention any plant fat sources because I'm not eating them at the moment, but feel free to discuss them if that's what you like  ;)

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
Re: What's your fave raw fat source?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 10:26:14 am »
i prefer bone marrow for sure. its really rich and creamy. i kinda see it as my dessert, my treat during a meal. i think knuckle is just the end of the leg bone. i always get the straight because it's got more marrow per pound than knuckle.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 10:43:31 am »
Bone marrow, but it's expensive.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 12:12:46 pm »
good quality of mutton kidney suet is tasty and that's my prime source of fat
bone marrow is fantastic, but It's quite difficult to buy as much as I want, partly because my fat intake is quite high  8)
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 07:02:16 pm »
Most people find the white fat on raw muscle-meat a bit of a problem, at first. It's especially disgusting in taste if it's  not from 100% grassfed meats. It took me several years to get up the courage to eat the muscle-meat fat and I far preferred the taste of raw marrow(the soft, creamy kind, which tastes the best, comes from the lower leg, with the harder, drier less-tasty marrow coming from the upper leg). Suet took a couple of years to get used to, and, even now, I don't particularly enjoy the taste or the texture - suet is very iffy for me, as its taste seems to vary greatly depending on which farm I get it from.

The raw fat in ox/beef/deer/ tongue is, I find, as excellent as the taste of the best marrow, and much easier to get hold of(though I suspect my farm-source for the raw deer-tongues to use chemicals on their tongues before sale). I also like raw pigs' tongue even though the pigs are grainfed(normally I find most grainfed meats to be absolutely tasteless).

Re price:- For me, 100% grassfed raw marrow is extremely difficult to get hold of, but I find it a hell of a lot cheaper than any other kinds of meats, even nonorganic ones.

Plant-fats are rare. Durian and avocado are 1 option. I really don't recommend raw vegetable-oils for getting fats as the end-product is highly processed, however raw it is. I have no problem with the idea of eating raw, solid olives, for example, but raw olive-oil has a negative effect on me.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 01:01:37 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 08:37:39 pm »
Soft never-frozen marrow.  Raw pork fat (lard) is a close second. 

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 06:49:55 am »
Got to try some bone marrow... I love it!

So far it's been white/pinkish in color, but I just saw one that has brownish coloring where it's close to the bone.  It's okay?

Thanks!

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 12:23:42 pm »
ya that's ok. that part actually tastes prettty good. not sure what it means though. i was thinking maybe its a bruise? i dont know. good stuff though

Offline Cosmo

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 05:44:08 pm »
Raw pork fat (Ukrainian style, called SALO) ;) and raw egg yolks.
By the 100 gr of raw pork fat provides nearly 800 kkal, so it's very filling. It tastes much better than you think.
Eating raw fish and meat since 17.11.08. 99% raw since 25.04.08.

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 02:18:21 am »
Grass fed unpasteurized not-homogenized dairy.

Wild caught salmon, sardines, herring. Any wild caught fiish.

Grass fed only land animals. If the farmer/rancher cares about his animals and the environment there will be plenty of fat in the meat.

Naturally, Don

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 10:07:56 pm »
I'd say marrow, with the pastured pork fat I get from Slanker's being a close second.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 12:35:48 am »
Hmm..do you know what the nutritional breakdown of pastured pork fat is? I know that pigs don't eat grass like cow's do, so presumably they feed them something.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 01:54:47 am »
Check out the Slanker's page, they might have some nutritional info there. They also show pictures of the pigs and explain what they feed them, at least a little bit. I don't think they feed them grains, they feed them vegetables and fruits and maybe even meat.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 12:18:47 am »
They graze grass just like cattle.  Most of what they eat is grass, forbes, and leaves of trees.  But they also eat grubs, roots, berries, eggs, critters of all kinds, and about anything else they come across in the pastures and woods where they live.  (In fact, their diet is about the same as a grass-fed chicken!)

Well, that's a surprise.

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 12:53:44 am »
I thought in the wild they mainly dug for tubers in the forest.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 06:35:33 am »
I found a grass-fed farm here where I can get beef, but not suet.  I can, however, get lard as back fat or leaf fat.  I didn't know what leaf fat is... it's internal fat.  I've never had pork fat before, but I see from some responses that people like it and I think I saw somewhere that carnivore posted better digestion with it? 

I guess I'm thinking about trying it and wondering why people like it and which type (back or leaf) would be better to try?

Anyone ever have a bad reaction to pork fat??

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 06:42:02 am »
I have a weird relationship with pork fat. On the one hand I find it tastier than suet, but it kinds of disgusts me sometimes. Kind of like a candy that is so sweet it's disgusting. I might try it again soon.

I think I have the internal fat, and it is more oily by far than any kind of other fat I've had (suet, hide fat, marrow).

As long as the animal is pastured and isn't fed grains or other garbage then I'm sure it's fine, just a matter of taste.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 12:04:43 pm »
Surprisingly I'm not a big fan of Beef Marrow. More work than I care for to extract it and I don't really like the texture. The taste is ok.
I've really enjoyed most of the beef muscle fat I've had. It takes a bit more chewing but it's like chewing gum. :D
Beef suet is hit or miss. It's usually a bit dry for my liking but I'll gorge on it if it's the only fat I have.
Of the three I guess the intra-muscular fat is my favorite. I had a nice slab on the cut of chuck I bought this week which was the tasty yellow mentioned on here before. Very nice flavor, almost buttery. I could eat this all day.

I've also rendered beef and lamb fat to make tallow. Neither one is tasty enough for me to eat on it's own (the lamb sticks to my teeth which is very annoying) but I do enjoy making pemmican with either.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 05:43:15 pm »
I found a grass-fed farm here where I can get beef, but not suet.  I can, however, get lard as back fat or leaf fat.  I didn't know what leaf fat is... it's internal fat.  I've never had pork fat before, but I see from some responses that people like it and I think I saw somewhere that carnivore posted better digestion with it? 

I guess I'm thinking about trying it and wondering why people like it and which type (back or leaf) would be better to try?

Be extra careful to buy only pastured pork. In the UK, for example, it's very rare indeed to find genuinely pastured pigs as UK government regulations seem to pretty much forcefeed pigs on 100% grain diets.

Pigs in the wild eat tubers, roots, grass, seeds, leaves,worms, insects, small mammals and  carrion. If anyone else ever gets the chance, do try getting hold of raw wild boar meat as, like other wild game such as wild hare, it is FAR superior in taste/nutrition to the domesticated equivalent.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

carnivore

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 08:34:17 pm »

Yes, pork fat is softer (contains lots of monounsaturated fat like olive oil) and easy for my stomach. It's why I prefere when pork are fed with starch (like chestnut) -that makes the fat a little harder- than with oily food (like acorn) -that makes the fat too oily-. It's the opposite with mutton which makes naturally hard fat : better fed with oily food than starchy food.

You should visit the farmer before buying anything, especially pork.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk