Author Topic: Ichthyophagi (Fish eaters)  (Read 2539 times)

Offline a_real_man

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Ichthyophagi (Fish eaters)
« on: November 18, 2017, 05:26:13 am »
Ichthyophagi (meaning "Fish-Eaters"), the name given by ancient geographers to several coast-dwelling peoples in different parts of the world and ethnically unrelated. Herodotus (book i. c. 200) mentions three tribes of the Babylonians who were solely fish-eaters, and in book iii. c. 19 refers to Ichthyophagi in Aethiopia.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Ichthyophagi (Fish eaters)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 03:04:05 pm »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline a_real_man

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ichthyophagi (Fish eaters)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 02:08:43 am »
Ichthyophagi ("Fish-Eaters"), the name given by ancient geographers to several coast-dwelling peoples in different parts of the world and ethnically unrelated.

Herodotus (book i. c. 200) mentions three tribes of the Babylonians who were solely fish-eaters, and in book iii. c. 19 refers to Ichthyophagi in Aethiopia. Diodorus Siculus and Strabo also referred to them all along the African coast of the Red Sea in their descriptions of Aethiopia.
    Ptolemy speaks of fish-eaters in the Persian Gulf coasts, coast of the Red Sea, on the west coast of Africa and on the coast of the Far East near the harbour of Cattigara
    Pliny relates the existence of such people on the islands in the Persian Gulf
    Nearchus mentions such a race as inhabiting the barren shores of the Gwadar and Pasni districts in Makr?n, Balochistan, Pakistan. During the homeward march of Alexander the Great, his admiral, Nearchus led a fleet in Arabian Sea along the Makr?n coast and recorded that the area was dry and mountainous, inhabited by the Ichthyophagoi or Fish-Eaters [1].
    Pausanias locates them on the western (African) coast of the Red Sea
    They are a people group identified on the 4th century Peutinger Map, as a people of the Baluchistan coast.

The existence of such tribes was confirmed by Sir Richard F Burton (El-Medinah, p. 144).[clarification needed]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk