Author Topic: Best way to store fresh (never frozen) raw back fat?  (Read 4759 times)

Offline Common One

• Forager
    • View Profile
Best way to store fresh (never frozen) raw back fat?
« on: November 28, 2017, 06:49:56 am »
This is my first post. Hi :)

I have 7 pounds of raw bison back fat coming my way. The carcass is being cut today (Monday) and then delivered to me (in sealed plastic) on Wednesday.

I will be eating it raw, and would like to keep in unfrozen. I would also like to remove it from the plastic vacuum seal as soon as I receive it.

Can I leave it out (unrefrigerated) without packaging - perhaps in unsealed paper bags? It's winter where I live, and the temperature in my apartment never rises above 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

Or, should I store it in the fridge? The only other thing in the fridge would be bison muscle meat, unsealed and stored on steel racks to let the air get to them.

I'm mostly worried about the possibility of slimy moisture damage (if kept in the fridge) and oxidation (if stored outside the fridge.) I don't mind, taste-wise, if the fat dries out when store outside the fridge... but, I'm attempting to regain my much-needed health and would like to gain as much fresh nutrition as possible while reducing the amount of damaging substances I put in my body... so, can anyone tell me how best to store this fat?

I'd read conflicting reports in other posts... such as some saying that unsealed fat "basically lasts forever" outside the fridge, and others saying that unsealed fat and air "don't mix well," due to oxidation - which I guess would be a problem in the fridge, as well...?

I eat only raw meat, however this is the first time I am buying REAL fresh (as in, NEVER frozen) and the first time I will be storing meat without using the freezer on my end.

Thank you. I'd really appreciate any advice.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to store fresh (never frozen) raw back fat?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 07:55:23 am »
Freezing in my experience does not significantly negatively affect raw fats. I typically will freeze about half the fat off the animals I butcher so that it does not go rancid over the course of the month it typically takes me to consume a whole adult sheep.

The unfrozen half is kept in a freezer unit I've rigged with a thermostat to stay right above the freezing point. I have an aversion to rancid fats in general, and though properly aged lean meats taste good, I am unable to stomach rancid fats.

I keep my fats uncovered on a glass dish, or hanging on a hook, which allows for good air flow. As long as you keep everything dry and well aired ruminant fats can be kept in an above freezing state for over a month without beginning to turn rancid.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Common One

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 09:17:17 am »
Thank you for the reply.

Whenever I've previously purchased pre-frozen bison fat, when I needed to eat it I would take it out of the freezer, then out of the plastic seal, and then put it uncovered in a glass bowl. I noticed that it would get kind of wet and slimy... seeming like the fat was sweating moisture. After being out of the fridge and on my plate it would lose this wetness pretty quickly.

I was thinking... perhaps, if I cut it into smaller pieces before storing in the fridge then it would "air" out and not become so wet because the oxygen in the fridge would be better able to "dry" it... so that then all this moisture wouldn't seep out. But, I also don't want to ruin the value of the fat by exposing it too much and drying it out all the way through.

Do you notice that the fat in your fridge becomes wet, at all?

All my instincts tell me to keep fat and water separate, so I don't like seeing all this "water" come out of the fat and make it slimy... but, if that's normal I don't mind dealing with it. I just want to avoid rancidity, like you said - and any other kind of damage to the fat.

I'm sorry for the length of this question. I am probably overcomplicating things, but I have to be careful in regard to my health (and my budget) so I'd really like to get it right if I can.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 11:15:49 am »
Keeping the fat cold, dry, and well ventilated is important for maintaining optimal freshness.

I installed a special thermostat into a freezer unit which can adjust the temperature to the single degree, I also keep a dry cotton towel in the bottom of the fridge and to remove excess moisture from condensation.

If the conditions are too moist then it could mean the temperature in the refrigerator isn't low enough or the meat isn't getting proper air circulation. Some fridges are able to keep lower humidity levels than others, depending on the model.

In the past when my set up wasn't as optimal, I had to put a small fan inside the fridge to ventilate and keep excess moisture from causing premature spoilage.

Offline Qondrar_The_Redeemer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 12:34:44 pm »
How long does it take you to eat 7 pounds of fat? I've kept raw bone marrow in my refrigerator for up to a week and it didn't change that much. I've also eaten fat that was left outside for days. I liked the taste, although I'm not sure if I'd prefer that over fresh, which I'd say tastes a bit better.

I've also frozen a lot of fat in the past, I would say the least affected part of the meat by freezing is actually the fat, although I can't say exactly how it would affect the meat nutritionally.

Offline Common One

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 05:02:31 am »
Thank you, both.

I think I will probably end up freezing some of the fat.

Sabertooth, how do you store the portion of fat that you freeze? Is there a specific material you use to seal it, if sealing is necessary...?

I don't like the idea of keeping the fat vacuum sealed in the plastic it will arrive in, but perhaps that is what I should do...? Each pound will be sealed in a separate package.

Qondrar_The_Redeemer, it would take me more than a week to eat the fat. I will probably go through 1/3 of a pound per day. I'm thinking freezing might be my best option, especially since it won't be frozen all that long. I'll probably take the last pound out of the freezer around day 21.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 06:36:03 am »
I use foodsaver vacuum seal bags for long term fat storage.

I also have a vacuum sealer for mason jars that I freeze my organs and blood in. Jars work better for bloody and wet foods than the bags

Offline Common One

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 07:00:00 am »
Thank you. In that case I think I will simply freeze the fat in the vacuum sealed bags they will come in. What I can eat within a few days (maybe up to a week) I will keep in the fridge.

I'm still fairly new to this way of eating, which I adopted after being ill for a long time, so I'm still pretty deep in the learning curve at the moment. Buying pre-frozen made it easier to start, but I'm ready to move on from that.

Once my health has further improved and I've become more functional I definitely plan to build a better set-up. I'll find a temp-controlled refrigerator that I can stabilize just above freezing, like yours... and one that doesn't get so humid, like mine does now.

Anyway, thank you for helping with these simple questions.

Offline Common One

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 09:10:35 pm »
sabertooth, one last question:

Since you mentioned that freezing does not significantly negatively affect raw fats...

How well do you find raw marrow holds up when frozen? Does it make a difference whether the marrow is inside the bone or not when freezing?

I would rather put the marrow in the freezer after removing it from the bone, but only if that won't somehow negatively effect how well it stores.

Thank you. 

Offline Qondrar_The_Redeemer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 09:53:00 pm »
sabertooth, one last question:

Since you mentioned that freezing does not significantly negatively affect raw fats...

How well do you find raw marrow holds up when frozen? Does it make a difference whether the marrow is inside the bone or not when freezing?

I would rather put the marrow in the freezer after removing it from the bone, but only if that won't somehow negatively effect how well it stores.

Thank you. 
I know this question isn't directed at me, but I thought I might as well share my experience.

I freeze lamb since I get the entire animal, and a lot of the time I end up freezing the bones with the marrow in them. I have not noticed any significant difference in quality, although I prefer to eat fresh meat (of any kind) when I can instead of frozen. I don't think it would make a difference if you removed it from the bone, although I've never tried.

I actually have some beef marrow which I've frozen for the first time as well (usually I eat it fresh but I got a big shipment this time), so I'll have to see if there's any difference there. I assume there won't since there wasn't any with lamb marrow.

Offline Common One

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 11:54:23 am »
Hello, again!

I mentioned to you on reddit that my online source for bison sells fresh/never frozen marrow bones, but that they aren't so cheap... well, I think I'm going to give myself a gift and buy a good amount, anyway - despite the price. Given the available nutrition and the dense amount of calories, I think it will be worthwhile.

But, yes - that means I will need to freeze a portion of what I receive so as not to let it spoil and wreck my budget. I can't afford to pay overnight shippings costs whenever I run out of raw fat.

I guess my new plan is to always have fresh muscle meat and organs, and to have fresh fat for as long as it will last after I receive it... and then I will continue with frozen fat until the next time I order the fresh stuff.

Thanks for your insight. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how the bison marrow holds up in the freezer. I will have the fresh raw marrow to compare the taste with, so that will help me identify any changes caused by the freezing.

Cheers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk