Author Topic: Need to bulk!  (Read 18565 times)

Offline xEdgexRNx

• Forager
    • View Profile
Need to bulk!
« on: May 25, 2009, 09:14:36 am »
I need to bulk.... I lost a lot of weight due to severe digestive issues that I am trying to resolve with the Paleo Diet.  Any suggestions in terms of how to provide myself with sufficient cals, pro, fat, and carbs on this diet?  I'm new to Paleo, and any diet advice and sample meal plans would rock!

Thanks!
-Shelby

PS-I'm trying to bodybuild!

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Need to bulk!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 01:20:46 am »
Hey Shelby,

I started RP too with the desire to put on some muscle.  I've always been a thin and a relatively hard gainer.  After I finally got my diet sorted out, I am as trim and stong as I've ever been.

Muscle building requires protein, fat, and nutrients (among other factors - get to that later).  You simply cannot get enough of all of these while on a vegan or vegitarian diet to satisfy long lasting growth.  The best thing you can do is eat fatty red meat, and lots of it.  You will get plenty of protein, fat, B vitamins (which are difficult to get on vegan diet), and allow your body to absorb fat soluable vitamins (A,D,E,K).  Having been a former vegan, you should definitely consider eating a few ounces of liver at least once a week as well.  It contains massive amounts of A and B vitamins, and it's very likely that your own stores of these vitamins are depleted.  The eggs you are eating can be a good supplementation, but shouldn't be the the mainstay of your animal food intake.  Also, I'd guess you probably eat plenty of nuts.  A small handful once or twice a day is okay, but any more than that is really not helping you much, better to get your calories from animal sources, as they are generally easier to digest and rich in nutrients. 

If you want to eat plenty of red meat and fat without putting on excess amts of fat, you will need to limit your carbs.  Of course, paleo eating means no grains, rice, pasta, oats, bread, potatoes, etc, so that makes it a bit simpler right away.  I would stick mostly to berries, and 1 piece of fruit a day.  You can also eat your red meat with some non-starchy fruit/veg like bell pepper, avocado, onions, tomatoes, etc, just don't go overboard.  Ultimately, the goal is to work your carbs down to 30-60g per day, so that your body switches from carb burning to fat burning metabolism - known as ketosis.  This can take a few days to a few weeks, and it's probably best to move there gradually.  Remember though, if you are not eating plenty of fat on a carb restricting diet you will lose even more weight.  If your interested to learn the basics of insulin response, and why excess carbs are detrimental to health, check out  http://www.biblelife.org/rosedale.htm    The begininning is a bit dry, but after the first couple sections it really starts to explain whats going on metabolically.   

Last thing - exercise.  It looks like in your avatar you are running a marathon, or some type of long distance race?  I can tell you, you will never bulk up or get to a healthy weight doing long distance, endurance type sports.  They automatically put your body into a prolonged catabolic state which consumes your tissues to provide energy.  If you really want to bulk up and put the right type of weight on, you need intensity.  Short bursts of strength over a 20-60 min period, followed by a good meal.  What this means is you can either do very fast sudden movements with lighter weights (sprints for example) or heavy weights with slower controlled movements.  www.crossfit.org has TONS of great exercises for overall health without much weight.  Also, it looks like you're a pretty thin girl already, it could take some months, even a couple years maybe, depending on just how much muscle you are trying to gain.  Then again, perhaps a radical shift to an optimal diet will give you a few extra pounds of lean mass in just a few weeks. 

Keep us updated on what you decide to do and how you're progressing.

-Jason

When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 01:32:17 am »
As far as meal plans go, here's some ideas:

Breakfast:  Eggs/berries. 
Lunch:  Short ribs, ribeye, ny strip (all pretty fatty), with some tomato and avocado
Dinner:  Ribeye steak with peppers, onions, and garlic.
Snacks:  a small handful of nuts, berries, perhaps a small piece of fruit, an egg or two, some guacamole (some people don't digest avocado well tho).

This really ended up being a transition diet for me.  You may ultimately find that you only need 2 meals a day.

I eat a pound of beef anywhere between 930AM-1PM depending on when I get hungry, and 1.5 lb after I work out in the evening between 7 and 9 PM.  Occasionally I get just a small snack. 
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 07:19:44 pm »
As regards weight-gain, it pains me to say this, being a former raw dairy-addict, but consuming raw dairy is a very effective way to gain weight(indeed it's the only raw animal food that easily allows one to gain weight  - most RVAFers find that eating lots of raw meats actually means losing lots of weight. I, for example, lost c.25kg by going in for a low-carb rawpalaeodiet.

There does seem to be an exception to the above, that eating excess amounts of raw animal fat (on zero-carb)contrarily leads to weight-gain. However, there have been claims re fatigue etc. re this and it's not recommended.

If you want to increase physical performance to competitive levels, you may find you need to up the carbs before, during, and after a workout, given various past  experiences of raw athletes.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Ouchburns

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 03:16:44 am »
Eat 1-2lbs of raw meat per day 1400-2800 Cals)
6-8 Fertile Eggs (6-800 Cals)
and 2 Liters of Raw Dairy per day (1200 Cals)

This should allow adequatet calories for adding lean body mass without adding any body fat, providing that all the products used are consumed in their raw form.

Offline raw meat man

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 04:06:53 pm »
I disagree OB. We want to put on body fat and as much and as fast as possible. You only see an orangutan with a lean belly when it is starving. Humans belly should be very fat and round. This helps the body produce testostorone.

6paks and slim gym bunnies on the cover of fitness magazines are not sexy or natural! We need to understand that fat humans survive and skinny ones get weak.

The ultimate bulking diet is ZC. No fruit as that will get you skinny, no carbs, nothing low fat. Eat as high fat as possible and setting an alarm clock at night helps one get more calories in as well. Hey, Ive put on 36lbs of pure fat in the last few months and I never exercise. There is no gyms in the jungle!  :D

AV wouldnt be seen dead in a gym!

Offline pc701

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 04:19:42 pm »
what am i reading this right?fat and being fat is attractive?

Offline Ouchburns

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 09:34:40 pm »
I disagree OB. We want to put on body fat and as much and as fast as possible. You only see an orangutan with a lean belly when it is starving. Humans belly should be very fat and round. This helps the body produce testostorone.

6paks and slim gym bunnies on the cover of fitness magazines are not sexy or natural! We need to understand that fat humans survive and skinny ones get weak.

The ultimate bulking diet is ZC. No fruit as that will get you skinny, no carbs, nothing low fat. Eat as high fat as possible and setting an alarm clock at night helps one get more calories in as well. Hey, Ive put on 36lbs of pure fat in the last few months and I never exercise. There is no gyms in the jungle!  :D

I know where your going with adding fat and being fat being healthy, but this guy wants to bodybuild, Which means you do NOT want to put on too much excess bodyfat when bulking. Im pretty sure AV preaches that one starting the primal diet should be putting on excess bodyfat to aid in detoxifying the body. It is possible to be healthy and lean(not excessively lean). Look at the different Somatypes; ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph. The pure ecto and meso are usually quite lean, even if they do eat an all raw regimen and do not exercise.

As for AV not being caught dead in a gym, that is his decision, and its not a bad one. I do agree that you do not have to workout on this diet and can get quite fit looking, but if you do wish to pursue bodybuilding and follow the AV lifestyle, you will need to lift weights.

Offline Ouchburns

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 09:58:00 pm »

btw, what makes you think that what I posted to eat is not high fat?

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 11:13:19 pm »

She/it's a "banana eating orangutan".  Gs caught it/her in some of the numerous other threads it just posted in.  Can't you tell she/it's a troll?  Or have we lost our minds.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 11:18:26 pm »
As regards weight-gain, it pains me to say this, being a former raw dairy-addict, but consuming raw dairy is a very effective way to gain weight(indeed it's the only raw animal food that easily allows one to gain weight ...

Actually, I don't find cow dairy to be especially good for weight gain.  Goat dairy, on the other hand...

But yes, dairy should be consumed in great moderation, and it often has unpleasant side effects, and should always be fermented, and come from grass-fed animals.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 07:54:13 am »

you're reading your idol durianrider trolling

Offline pc701

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 08:03:11 am »
my idol?...

Offline Nation

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 08:04:00 am »
He's my idol!

@cherimoya_kid, as a moderator, can you see people's IP address? Would you mind telling us what country "raw meat man" is posting from?

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 09:18:29 am »
I was pretty sure EskimoeJoe was DurianRider. Manic blabber.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 11:02:53 am »
He's my idol!

@cherimoya_kid, as a moderator, can you see people's IP address? Would you mind telling us what country "raw meat man" is posting from?

You can see the IP address, but I think that a proxy server would fool it.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 08:13:33 am »
have loads of banana shakes and add cheese and milk products in ur meal

I smell a link marketer.
Do you know what paleo diet is?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline sven

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 10:09:26 am »
I smell a link marketer.
Do you know what paleo diet is?

I don't think so.  This is just terrible advice lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk