Author Topic: Quality supermarkets(!)  (Read 2146 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Quality supermarkets(!)
« on: November 27, 2017, 12:06:24 pm »
I used to rant all the time about pisspoor supermarkets in the UK. I was rather justified in most cases. We UKers had awful, hideously expensive stores like the new flagship WholeFoods store, which was not even genuinely organic(at least when I checked as it opened).Waitrose had some raw grassfed lamb but that was about it, - well there was also planet organic which sold raw(well, pefrozen) milk and mostly organic fruit and veg). And Sainsbury's, c. 2010, introduced some intriguingly good-tasting "woodland eggs", which did not involve feeding artificial amounts of omega-3s to the chickens or soy or whatever.

Here in Austria, things are different. There is a big pro-green, pro-environment movement over here, and intensive farming is less of an issue. That is, we still get farmers boasting of feeding their chickens on mostly-soy diets, but there is a tiny grassfed meat industry which is not all that expensive, and, since a lot of (nonorganic-certified/non-grassfed-certified) meat comes from Austrian peasants, the meat tastes better than the stuff sold by large agricombines in the UK and the US. Best of all, 2 local supermarkets are now selling raw wild game during hunting-season(without the dreaded extra nitrates added like before). The raw seafood can be quite cheap, especially on Saturdays and Mondays, when it's 50% off, and, as an RPDer. non-fresh meats are perfectly OK, indeed treasured.Plus, in recent months, 1 local supermarket even introduced raw (well, fermented)sauerkraut with no added chemicals/preservatives or whatever. Anyway, so I find myself no longer having to go to faraway warehouses or visit far-off farmers' markets, I can just walk for 5 or 10 minutes and find a wide variety of rpd foods.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Xisca

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Re: Quality supermarkets(!)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 12:44:48 am »
Good news!
Here wild game is mainly rats and lizards!
Few rabbits....
I would not count bats....  :o

Some shells and crabs and then you can go fishing....

Aborigenes here some centuries ago, relied on goat and cheese, and some figs + 2 local berries at most, some palm sugar, honey, a few roots and some grains that were toasted to make dextrin as in tsampa from Tibet.

Almonds, chestnuts and prickly pears came much after, with invadors. These now grow wild.

Offline norawnofun

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:19:51 pm »
@Tyler

That´s one thing I love about Austria. The big organic movement that keeps on growing and generally the big conscious about healthy pesticide free food. Many countries go the opposite way but Austrians have a different mindset here. I´ve been there during Christmas and I was feasting on raw foods. I even saw organic pork in a "Spar". The best thing is that is also well priced. And I love the milk machines. I even took 10 liters with me when travelling home :D. I also found the raw sauerkraut in "Merkur". Couldn´t believe it :) But can I ask you in which shops they sell the fish minus 50 %? Or is it just in the state you were/are?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 10:02:02 pm »
The local Merkur regularly offers on Saturdays and Mondays 50% off raw seafood, which is, otherwise, quite expensive. They do not always advertise it via label, sometimes I only found out it the raw fish was reduced when they slapped the label on after I had bought it. The Merkur I attend has clear labelling of origin  so that I can avoid all the farmed seafood, and has quite a variety.   I presume this is the case in most large Merkur stores.Lidl also offers(albeit prefrozen) fish at very low prices, even lower than Merkur.Hofer and Billa are no good re decent raw foods, generally. Spar, though, now offers raw wild game in its larger stores.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline norawnofun

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 10:34:54 pm »
thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk