Author Topic: Interesting insight into Indonesian Hunter-Gatherer tribe  (Read 4399 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline a_real_man

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting insight into Indonesian Hunter-Gatherer tribe
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 02:46:53 am »
What insights are those?
Also, they don't look impressively healthy.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 03:42:01 am »
What is your standard of health? Being obese? These guys look fine and healthy to me.

It happens that I have a book in which there's a chapter about these people of Mentawai, with nice photos also!. I remember very well reading the text about them, really cool guys. I'm happy to learn that they are still living the same peaceful and undisturbed life!  :)
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline a_real_man

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 03:54:43 am »
My minimal standard of health: full set of teeth, pronounced musculature, no distended stomachs.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 04:08:25 am »
What insights are those?
Also, they don't look impressively healthy.
  I agree that it is dangerous/foolish to blindly believe in the Noble-Savage myth like Weston-Price did. At the same time, modern hunter-gatherers who still adhere to ancient (albeit Neolithic) customs do give us a partial insight into what life/lifestyle our Palaeolithic ancestors. There are so many ways in which we modern, civilised/settled humans differ from our Palaeolithic ancestors, and diet is merely one factor thereof. Those who think that just adopting a raw, palaeolithic diet is enough are deluded. We moderns are cursed with wholly unnatural organisations(instead of smallish  tribes with a common genetic heritage, we now have meaningless, arbitrary artificial constructs such as nations, we have far poorer sleeping habits, we are all also  far less intelligent and far  less physically fit compared to our Palaeo ancestors etc. Short of a time-viewer/chronoscope  that would allow us to watch our Palaeolithic ancestors in action, this sort of thing is as good as it gets, for now.

Here is a quote- "The tribe believe every living object has a spirit and worship nature, particularly the river. They think damaging or polluting the water source is a sin."

Animist religions, and even polytheistic religions, are also  way healthier and more natural than the appalling monotheistic religions available nowadays.
Interesting re the no clothes for the upper body bit. An acquaintance once told me how appalling it was when she visited Indonesia in the 1960s, that all the local Indonesian women wore T-shirts on their top halves. They used not to do this, and just worse grass skirts with absolutely nothing covering their upper half, but because of staring Westerners, they duly adopted the wearing of T-shirts etc. despite the fact that that made them sweat profusely and stink as a result.

In my own case, were it not for absurd modern customs, I would much rather just go naked here  in Central Europe for 8 months of the year, and just wear shorts and T-shirt in winter, other than when it is way below 0 degrees Celsius.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 04:18:06 am »
My minimal standard of health: full set of teeth, pronounced musculature, no distended stomachs.
Pronounced musculature is indeed evident in the photos, though, naturally not in the women or the old men.

Full set of teeth is not a guarantee of health since, unlike sharks we do not regenerate broken teeth, and a tribal life like that would involve enough physical violence to ensure that many had broken teeth. Plus, bear in mind, they are only Palaeoish by nature. Perhaps in Palaeo times, they indulged in more daily  exercise  and so had stronger bone-structure/teeth etc. Did not notice any distended stomachs.

On  a side-note, I once encountered a Masai warrior, wearing traditional red, who spoke to me for 15 minutes in Swahili before he finally grasped I could not understand a word. I had not seen so perfect a definition/muscular physique in my life. The guy was glistening all over, either with oil, or more likely with sweat. I was deeply impressed.
" Ron Paul.

Offline !

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 05:41:25 pm »
What is your standard of health? Being obese?
How about... having teeth.
(copy the link manually - 6th picture from the article)
i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2018/01/05/11/47C6A7FC00000578-5238293-image-m-64_1515150385740.jpg
(other pictures show lacking teeth as well, just not from a close distance)

Offline !

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 05:43:54 pm »
There is also no "raw" word in the whole article (whick could partially explain the teeth trashing).

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 05:47:45 pm »
There is also no "raw" word in the whole article (whick could partially explain the teeth trashing).
Remember, they had no fridges, so must have eaten some of their food in raw, fresh or raw, aged form.
" Ron Paul.

Offline !

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 06:01:10 pm »
instead of smallish  tribes with a common genetic heritage, we now have meaningless, arbitrary artificial constructs such as nations
Nations are like "tribes" - "arbitrary" "artificial", based on language incompatibility (in most cases at least) - no? The world is global anyway, and everyone affects everyone else. You cannot have a "private air" that does not blow over the globe. The same with water, in a larger extent even land etc.

Offline !

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 06:03:45 pm »
- That is part of the reason why the world is such a mess - everyone thinks they are "independent" etc. and can do whatever "on their land" - sorry, the reality does not work like that

Offline !

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 06:05:26 pm »
(and the "dissonance" between the reality and those "sovereignity" ideas causes wars, eventually)

Offline Apani

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 07:10:02 pm »
Nations are like "tribes" - "arbitrary" "artificial", based on language incompatibility (in most cases at least) - no? The world is global anyway, and everyone affects everyone else. You cannot have a "private air" that does not blow over the globe. The same with water, in a larger extent even land etc.

It's impossible to get a group of millions of random people who don't even know each other to cooperate towards a common goal. Tribes are about as big as we can go.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 08:19:48 pm »
Tribes are NOT "arbitrary" at all, they are a natural part of humanity. Come to think of it, tribes are usually a subset of "clans" as well, and the clans would all have had a single language within them.
" Ron Paul.

Offline leeuk

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 01:24:45 am »
They use sugar cane juice for their tattooing and maybe eat a lot of it which probably explains why their teeth are in such bad shape. Not to mention they also smoke.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk