Raw Paleo Diet Forums > Welcoming Committee

New Man saying Hello -- and need help with raw meat preparation

(1/2) > >>

DeanNewman:
Hi all! I’m brand new to the group and brand new to eating raw meat (although I've been wanting to go raw for awhile now).

I need to get clear on how to PREPARE THE MEAT CORRECTLY so that I can eliminate any possible pathogens and parasites.

Could someone refer me to a detailed resource for preparing various meats and fish before eating (marinades used, how much of the marinade to use per portion of meat, times to let meat marinade, etc.)?

I'm really excited about getting this going... safely, simply and ENJOYABLY!

Much appreciated!

Apani:
What's really important is SOURCING: all meat should be either grassfed, pastured or wild. Avoid farmed fish and grain fed livestock.

That's about it. If the meat is good, it's safe to eat as it is.

Of course, you can still marinate it to make it more palatable, but most users here stop doing so at a certain point.

I find lemon juice goes well with beef, and ACV with fish.

DeanNewman:
Thanks Apani for your reply.

Sourcing isn't a problem. I've had that down for over 10 years now. I don't touch grains or anything that ate grains (although I have been eating some raw walnuts, which I'm beginning to think is a mistake because nuts seem akin to grains).

I have tasted raw grass-fed meat and wild fish years ago and I think it tastes better raw than cooked. So taste isn't an issue with me.

I've done a bit of research on eating raw meat and have come across some generalized concepts (but no specifics yet)-- many people are concerned about pathogens and parasites even with grass fed animals -- especially since other people and machines have handled the food. They have mentioned things like: freezing the meat for two weeks before you eat it, or marinating the meat with ACV or lemon juice (not for taste, but with the idea of killing undesirable things).

If you received some frozen grass fed meat in the mail from a reputable farmer then, once the meat thaws, you would simply open the package and start eating it without any further preparation?

Dingeman:
I would eat it without preparation. Careful though, it is best to consume fresh raw meat, unfrozen that is. You actually don't want to kill the bacteria because it also gets rid of the good bacteria and enzymes. The same problem with cooking basically although it destroys less nutrients by freezing.

As for the rest of your new raw meat journey; be sure to try different kinds of meats. Liver is a staplefood in the raw paleo diet and it is best to get used to it early, considering the amazing health benefits of regular liver consumption (liver = live). For the rest I would try things like raw bone marrow and raw seafood, both contain a lot of essential nutrients that will surely make you thrive on the diet. I wish you great health on this amazing diet!

DeanNewman:
Thanks Dingeman. Good stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version