Author Topic: Hello, new here: Bubba  (Read 6918 times)

Offline bubba

• Forager
    • View Profile
Hello, new here: Bubba
« on: June 05, 2008, 09:34:42 pm »
Hello,

I'm glad to find this site.

I just started the Primal Diet about a week and a half ago for the second time.  I have a chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, and very poor digestion.  I've tried many diets and I've tried most of them more than once.  I am hoping that the Primal Diet works this time.

Bubba

Satya

Re: Hello, new here: Bubba
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 10:44:58 pm »
Hi Bubba,

Welcome aboard.  I think there are several primal dieters among us.  Good luck overcoming your health issues.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 12:13:46 am »
Welcome aboard Bubba

I wish you all the best on the Primal Diet.  I've actually gotten much better results from a zero-carb zero-dairy approach. Many have found, as I did, that dairy, even raw dairy, had significant negative side effects.  Butter appears to be the only exception and I assume that that is due to it being pure fat with no lactose or milk proteins to cause allergic reactions.

You'll find many different approaches to a more healthful way of eating on this board and everyone will do their best to help.  My own observations are that younger folks can get away with dairy and more carbs and still do great.  Those of us on the other side of 40, especially if we are starting to have health problems, need to be a little more selective as to what we eat.

I now eat only meat and fat from grassfed beef with just a pinch of salt for seasoning and just about every problem I had cleared up.  No more high blood pressure, sore joints, skin rashes, high blood sugar, migraine headaches etc. - all went away.

Lex

xylothrill

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 03:30:21 am »
Welcome Bubba!

Offline bubba

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 10:56:53 pm »
Thanks everybody! 

And Lex, I think you are right about the dairy.  Yesterday after reading your message I told myself that I have to be open to the fact that I might not be able to eat the dairy.  I don't like raw meat, so the raw dairy made the diet doable.  But I was already starting to have symptoms from the dairy.  This morning I was going to go to the dairy farm again as I was all out, but I changed my mind and am cutting it out, at least for now.  I could go get some raw butter, but I don't even like the taste of it, so it's not worth driving two hours just for that.  I'm starting to get the headache that I get when I cut out something that's bad for me.  It only makes me think that I am doing the right thing.  I don't know how I'm going to get enough calories, but one day at a time for now.  I'll just get myself through this headache, facial, and spinal pain, and then I'll be able to make better decisions.

Thanks again, everybody.  There is no one in my personal life that eats like this or would ever even consider it, so it's good to know that this site is here with other people to talk to and get help from. 

Bubba

Satya

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 01:35:44 am »
Yeah, I gave up dairy too recently.  I used to eat cheese and have cream in coffee, but it affects me hormonally, I am afraid.  It is a very modern food that many people can't handle, though some do fine with it.  You can try cooking your meat lightly first and then try it raw over time.  I am still transitioning to raw after 6 months, and it is happening in stages for me.  I love raw fish and beef now.  It takes time for some of us, others go raw cold turkey.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 01:37:20 am by Satya »

Offline bubba

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 12:48:51 am »
Satya, thank you for the idea of not going cold turkey.  I started searing my meat til about 1/8 of an inch of the outside of it is cooked and I like it so much better like that.  Boy, I feel so much better without the dairy.  My brain is clearing out and I have more energy.  I had a slight headache when i woke up this morning, but it's nothing like I was waking up with while on dairy.  It's funny, at first when I start to eat it, and this is the third or fourth time I've tried, it makes me feel better.  But after awhile it makes me feel worse.  Each time I go back to it, the time it takes to start to make me sick gets shorter and shorter. 

Bubba

xylothrill

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 10:58:47 am »
Satya, thank you for the idea of not going cold turkey.  I started searing my meat til about 1/8 of an inch of the outside of it is cooked and I like it so much better like that.  Boy, I feel so much better without the dairy.  My brain is clearing out and I have more energy.  I had a slight headache when i woke up this morning, but it's nothing like I was waking up with while on dairy.  It's funny, at first when I start to eat it, and this is the third or fourth time I've tried, it makes me feel better.  But after awhile it makes me feel worse.  Each time I go back to it, the time it takes to start to make me sick gets shorter and shorter. 

Bubba

Your getting sick earlier each time could be due to less tolerance. Just like alcohol, the longer you go without it, the sooner it will take to make you feel better and still the sooner it will take before it makes you feel sick. I would take it as a good sign. Congrats!

Craig

Offline bubba

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 10:13:30 pm »
That's encouraging, Craig.  I didn't think of it that way. 

Thanks,
Bubba

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 03:45:27 pm »

Bubba

Dairy also gave me chronic fatigue. Similiarly, I would get a boost in energy for c.30 minutes after consuming raw or pasteurised dairy(plus a slightly increased sense of calm), but would then experience a vast surge of fatigue afterthat, followed by a surge of adrenaline.From what I understand, dairy, whether raw or otherwise, can cause fatigue and brain-fog due to milk peptides crossing the blood-brain barrier - plus, dairy,as in my own case, can seriously foul up one's glands(especially the adrenal gland). I would suggest, therefore, avoiding absolutely all dairy, even raw butter(plenty of people get side-effects from that too, though symptoms are usually milder or take longer to manifest). It might also be an idea to get hold of raw, grassfed adrenals from some farm like NorthStar Bison - I get mine from Dr Ron's website - it's prohibitively expensive, but the UK farms don't seem to sell adrenals.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline bubba

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 08:00:12 pm »
Tyler, I think you're right about the butter.   I just don't know how I'll get enough fat without it.  Marbled fat is easy enough to eat, but the fat around the outside of the meat is different.  How do you get enough fat in your diet?   I don't know yet about eating raw glandulars!  I am still such a wimp about raw animal foods.  As the days go by, though, and my brain clears out, I can start to at least acknowledge what's good and not good for me. 

Bubba

Satya

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 09:01:46 pm »
Tyler, I think you're right about the butter.   I just don't know how I'll get enough fat without it.  Marbled fat is easy enough to eat, but the fat around the outside of the meat is different.  How do you get enough fat in your diet?   I don't know yet about eating raw glandulars!  I am still such a wimp about raw animal foods.  As the days go by, though, and my brain clears out, I can start to at least acknowledge what's good and not good for me. 

I am new too.  I have just completed 3 days all raw (finally), and I am not getting a whole lot of animal fat now.  What I do is make mayonnaise with a ton of egg yolks, extra virgin olive oil, lemon and spices (I will make a video demonstration of it soon).  I mix my meat in it.  I have marrow too that I will sometimes grind in with the heart, liver or steak to increase the fat.  It may not be the perfect solution, but it's better than cooked.

And since I have truly abstained from dairy and eaten increasingly raw omnivore fare, the excess fat is shedding fast.  I don't know if you have weight to lose or not, but have you tried intermittent fasting for your digestion problems?  It may help to heal the gut to eat only once or twice a day.  And it may stimulate better digestion in general.  Just a thought.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 01:41:22 am »
Milk and cream usually make me feel weird in a way butter doesn't. I do well with cheese too.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 01:51:03 am »
bubba,
I also had problems eating fat when I started - it would make me gag.  Now I love it and can't get enough.  Over time your tastes will change and you will soon be looking forward to things you thought you could never eat.  If your experience is anything like mine, you will gain a lot of energy and start to feel better than you have in years.  This is what keeps me on the path.  Whenever I'm tempted by a hot fudge sundae, hot sourdough bread or other past favorite food, I just remember what it was like when I was getting 3 or 4 killer migraine headaches a month, and I have no problem staying on the wagon.

Lex

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 03:36:41 pm »
Tyler, I think you're right about the butter.   I just don't know how I'll get enough fat without it.  Marbled fat is easy enough to eat, but the fat around the outside of the meat is different.  How do you get enough fat in your diet?   I don't know yet about eating raw glandulars!  I am still such a wimp about raw animal foods.  As the days go by, though, and my brain clears out, I can start to at least acknowledge what's good and not good for me. 

Bubba

The raw glandulars are useful re speeding up recovery as cooked-diets, according to AV, hit the glands particularly hard by comparison to other parts of the body. As regards, types of fat, one major reason why I took so long to get used to raw suet and muscle-meat white fat was because I, at first, didn't get hold of decent high-quality raw meats. By locating sources of yellow-white suet rather than pure-white suet etc. I was able to get used to the taste quite quickly - unfortunately, just because a meat is labelled "grassfed" doesn't always guarantee high quality.

I also went in for fats I knew I would like immediately (such as raw beef tongue and raw marrow - the creamy marrow was my favourite).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk