Author Topic: UK equivalent to SLANKERS?  (Read 2065 times)

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
UK equivalent to SLANKERS?
« on: June 10, 2009, 07:40:20 pm »
After reading some of 'Lex's Journal' I had to find out what his 'Dog and Cat mix' was......sounds great! Slackers looks like a absolute gem, and I am very envious of all you US peeps! I guess I should be happy for you, because after all I want everyone to be eating good meat....  :)

I get my meat from London’s farmers markets which are awesome; I love ‘em. Only problem is that the farmers I talk raise an eyebrow at the mention of the lesser known cuts/organs like 'spleen' etc and I would love to find somewhere similar to slackers that might better set-up to cater for such demands (and many even supply such ground mixes with a bit of everything like the before mentioned 'Dog and Cat mix'!).

Of course give the size of the UK this may not be possible, and I would still nevertheless consider myself lucky to have the great choice offered at the markets in London. I should of course keep asking around at the markets and try to befriend some of the farmers!

Any ideas/sources would be much appreciated.

Thanks and all the best!

David

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: UK equivalent to SLANKERS?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 09:55:50 pm »
Organ-meats are difficult to get hold of as highly obnoxious UK/EU regulations force farmers to spend more on inspection-charges if they also want to sell the organ-meats as well.

Liver and kidney aren't too difficult to get hold of in the UK. Tongue can be found if you look hard enough, Spleen, adrenal, thyroid and lungs/intestines are unobtainable unless you personally know a farmer with his own abattori(unlikely, even then) And cattle brains are forbidden to be sold for BSE-related reasons.

There's no big reliable 100% grassfed farm in the UK and prices in the UK are always far higher, proportionate to salary, than in the US.You might want to do a lot of searching online for websites/farms/companies catering to the luxury pet-owners market(ie those pet-owners who feed their dogs/cats on high-quality meats).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk