Author Topic: Computer Woes  (Read 23846 times)

xylothrill

Re: Computer Woes
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2008, 12:36:50 am »
So, you think I'm hot?  :D  (Do I get to be a warrior at 200 posts?)
There'd be something seriously wrong with me if I didn't! ;)

I don't remember off the top of my head. ???  Make two more and find out, hottie!

OMG! I thought this was in the moderators' section for some reason! Oh well.. I've said worse things on the Yahoo group...

Craig

Satya

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2008, 12:41:56 am »
For those who use Linux and from time to time need to use some windows specific programs or gadgets, I have good experiences with VMWARE.
If you are a little tech minded, you can install a 10Gig or 20gig windows install and make it into a vmware appliance.

VMware rocks.  Anyone planning to be in Vegas in September:

http://www.vmworld2008.com/

Satya

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2008, 12:43:26 am »
There'd be something seriously wrong with me if I didn't! ;)

I don't remember off the top of my head. ???  Make two more and find out, hottie!

OMG! I thought this was in the moderators' section for some reason! Oh well.. I've said worse things on the Yahoo group...

Wait until I post my "Making Mayo" demonstration for all to see.  :P

xylothrill

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2008, 12:47:51 am »
Wait until I post my "Making Mayo" demonstration for all to see.  :P

Warrior Satya! You've made it!

Is the demonstration going to be a video or a pdf type book? I can't wait for that. Are you going to use animal fat instead of vegetable oil? Maybe a saturated tropical oil? If not, I could always alter it but what would I put it on?

Craig

Satya

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2008, 01:25:36 am »
Warrior Satya! You've made it!

Is the demonstration going to be a video or a pdf type book? I can't wait for that. Are you going to use animal fat instead of vegetable oil? Maybe a saturated tropical oil? If not, I could always alter it but what would I put it on?

Video all the way, baby.  I use olive oil, but my ratio of egg yolks to olive oil is much higher than traditional recipes.  The problem with using animal fats is that they solidify and make for a very unappealing texture.  I suppose if you ate all you made and didn't store any, it might work.  Coconut oil is not very appetizing, imo.  I might try lard sometime.  I dunno.

Satya

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2008, 09:31:24 am »
I am installing Fedora right now.  The new Mandriva was flaky.  Fedora has built-in virus protection at the processor level, it encrypts the hard drive, and their installation process is very well-organized and obvious.  Hopefully, all will go well, but I have it on a separate drive, so no worries there. 

I have KDE and Gnome, but the file manager on KDE has a tree structure that is much more intuitive to drill down to than hokie icons, imho.

That's all I have time for now.  I will let you know how I like Fedora soon.

xylothrill

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2008, 09:50:50 am »
I wish I had made a separate home partition so that I could switch distributions easily. I do miss the tree structure in Gnome's file manager but it'll be coming out in the next release.

Satya

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2008, 09:13:12 am »
Gnome file manager sucks HARD!  I installed fedora finally, and it defaulted to gnome.  Um, it looks fine, and I can install kde apps on gnome and vice versa, but the file manager on gnome is so kindergarten retarded, that I cannot imagine having to work with it.  Ugh, and new windows opening on the hokie folders, no organizational structure whatsoever.  I could not imagine doing business or even personal tasks without the folders on the left, files on the right structure of kde (and windows).  Mench!  I am talking about the second screen shot here:

http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase-runtime/userguide/file-manager.html

I can drill down without opening any folders with kde.  As a web developer, I would go batshit with gnome's one window of folders, which clicked open more windows, etc. and then 7 subfolders later, I have a gazillion windows open!  I network between my machines.  I can copy a file and paste it into the shared folder in about 5 seconds.  With gnome (a macintosh styled window manager), it would take me FOREVER, and I could still never see the organizational structure of my folders

I have two machines hooked up to one monitor that I switch between here on my desk.  I have xp and mandriva 2008 on one, fedora and the old mandriva on the other.  Once I transfer all the old mandriva stuff, I might try another linux distribution on my regular (fedora) machine.

xylothrill

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2008, 09:55:55 am »
Then stick with KDE. It's what you're used to but Gnome does have a "tree" view similar to the sidebar.Click view then check "side pane." In my other post, I was thinking of something else when I said 'tree view" I meant the mac style of columns I guess.
Not having tree veiw would drive me crazy too!
It looks like this in Gnome:

« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 10:01:51 am by Craig »

Satya

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2008, 10:30:57 am »
Yeah, I am sure with enough effort, I could have found something similar in gnome ... maybe.  KDE has the tree view from the start.  It has way more layout options and is much more powerful in general.  For instance, you can get a command line prompt as part of the same window so that you can click on a file, then down in your command prompt, you can see the actual command to change to that directory, then type your own commands at that point and basically have full control of the whole system.  It's just really convenient to combine a graphical and command style thing into one.

Edit: No side pane option in my fedora gnome file manager (at least under "view"), fyi.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 10:39:17 am by Satya »

xylothrill

« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2008, 02:14:13 pm »
No side pane option? Strange. You could download Konqueror or are you just going to install all of KDE instead? You're a power user. I don't use the command line much so it doesn't bother me. I used it to get access to foreign repositories for instance. Gnome is really meant for the "average" desktop user.

Satya

« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2008, 11:02:57 pm »
No side pane option? Strange. You could download Konqueror or are you just going to install all of KDE instead? You're a power user. I don't use the command line much so it doesn't bother me. I used it to get access to foreign repositories for instance. Gnome is really meant for the "average" desktop user.

Thanks for your assistance, The Craig!

No side panel, which either means gnome varies betweens distributions, or you have a different version of it.  I have KDE and Gnome installed, but use the KDE environment (and Konqueror is there too).  So I can load Gnome applications if I want.  It seems that KDE has way more applications than Gnome, and also, the options available within each application are more feature-rich.

Fedora 9 is pretty good.  It found all of our oddball hardware.  Encrypting all or portions of the hard drive is one of the reasons we went with Fedora.  The set up was pretty easy, and for a new system, installing it would be a cake walk (or a raw steak walk).  Mandriva 2008 is good too.  They have a one-stop shop window for computer soft/hardware set up.  But if you want to continually update your system with new goodies, they want you to subscribe to their club for that (can you say paid subscription?).  Well, that's how 2006 was.  We bought the dvd ($60-80) and they still nickel and dime you later.  I don't see fedora pulling this.  We shall see.

NOTE TO MEMBERS:  If you want Craig's attention, you may want to post in this thread.  He's a techie all the way.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 05:49:13 am by Satya »

xylothrill

« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2008, 09:34:00 am »
You're the techie, typing commands as you tunnel through folders. :-)  I'm a Trekkie! Ha!

I think you're right about the distributions. Fedora Gnome might even be using a different file manager altogether.
Fedora sounds good. I wonder if there's a way to install their version of the kernal on Ubuntu.   ???

I don't have KDE installed but I have the Qt libraries so I can run KDE applications. KDE is two full versions ahead of Gnome and has been around longer so I'm sure there are more apps for it and that they've had more time to advance.

Satya

« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2008, 12:11:52 am »
Read about copyright infringement a la background music tracks, and perhaps understand a bit more why I am absolutely hesistant to upload any of my videos to youtube, and down right insistent that I will be the only one to do it. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2008/09/youtube_cat_stevens_and_me.html

I have not seen any of my copyrighted content on youtube yet, but rest assured if I do, I will be contacting youtube about it to have them take it down and spank the user who uploaded it in the first place.  I just don't like the big corporate social sites that milk ever dime and gather info on users.  Google (owner of youtube now) is been pretty bad about privacy and data collecting concerns.

BTW, I think it's anal, legal bs, but the law is the law.  I also think exposing yourself on HUGE data mining sites (aka social networking sites like myspace and facebook) is absolutely foolish, unless you are a celebrity and all of your dirty laundry is already aired everywhere.  Prospective employers now routinely search these sites and profile people.  Better to buy your own domain that YOU control and blog or whatnot there.  My $.02.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 04:05:32 am by Satya »

Satya

« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2008, 05:57:09 am »
Come on, Craig.  I posted in this thread to get your attention, and it's not working!!!  You okay out there?  We all miss you.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2008, 06:08:46 am »
Yeah, he has to allocate the various forums to us mods, after all.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

xylothrill

« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2008, 10:24:20 am »
Come on, Craig.  I posted in this thread to get your attention, and it's not working!!!  You okay out there?  We all miss you.

I'm fine, just a busy bee. I've been leaving my phone in the car while at work so have no Internet access or microwave exposure for most of the day.  :)

Was that post prompted my my wondering if the fedora kernel could be compiled and integrated into Ubuntu? It's GPL, isn't it? Or is it some proprietary feature separate or added onto the kernel and not apart of the kernel itself?

Craig

Satya

« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2008, 10:29:03 am »
I'm fine, just a busy bee. I've been leaving my phone in the car while at work so have no Internet access or microwave exposure for most of the day.  :)

Was that post prompted my my wondering if the fedora kernel could be compiled and integrated into Ubuntu? It's GPL, isn't it? Or is it some proprietary feature separate or added onto the kernel and not apart of the kernel itself?

Craig

Well, nice of you to join us.  We thought some tropical storm washed you away or something.  We love our fearless leader so.  :-*

No no, I just was reading the BBC and stumbled upon that.  I thought it was ridiculous a recording company would search youtube for background clips and demand ad space for it. And so I posted it for an fyi here ... kinda sorta hoping you'd pop in and comment.

xylothrill

« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2008, 10:53:49 am »
That reminds me of Ice Ice baby copying something like everything but one note of Under Pressure and getting away with it because of the difference. Not sure how true it is but remember hearing about it after Vanilla Ice released it way back when.

I was blown away but have made my way back.  ;D

Offline stevesurv

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2008, 06:57:28 am »
Hey everybody. I won't be around very much for a while because my hardrive is toast. I have to wait for the money to get a new one. I'm using the computer at work but nonbusiness is a no-no so I must be discreet.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2008, 05:23:44 pm »
Hey everybody. I won't be around very much for a while because my hardrive is toast. I have to wait for the money to get a new one. I'm using the computer at work but nonbusiness is a no-no so I must be discreet.

That's fine. I had a similiar problem a while back, with my PC fusing completely. I've since made sure to buy surge-protectors so as to ensure that it doesn't happen again.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Satya

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2008, 08:54:14 pm »
I have 2 hard drives, and the one writes to the other, so I have a backup should one fail.

xylothrill

« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2008, 07:57:24 pm »
Ya know, I should at least get a flash drive for backup or I should sync my Mac and Linux/Windows machines.
I read something about remote backups over the web. Are these reliable/secure?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2008, 08:22:57 pm »
Ya know, I should at least get a flash drive for backup or I should sync my Mac and Linux/Windows machines.
I read something about remote backups over the web. Are these reliable/secure?

That's what I've decided to do:- keep 1 flash-drive for transfering data, and 1 for storing essential backup files, so that when my PC goes fut once again, I'll be able to restore it back to its original state, quickly.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 08:25:27 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk