Raw Paleo Diet to Suit You > Omnivorous Raw Paleo Diet

meat inspector advice? etc

(1/1)

PaganGoy:
Has anyone else had a hard time getting sweetbreads and other organs?

The meat which gets sent to my butcher is always incomplete and seldom ever gets a hold of brains, sweet breads and any organs other than liver and kidney.
 This is a serious problem for me because none of the animals coming in look to have much back fat or belly fat at all because they are all young.  Marrow bones are costing far too much for me right now and the suet I have tried tastes like chalky crap...

I have called the abbatoire and was directed to email one of them who later told me he is "not sure".
I have been told it is the inspector who is responsible...
Has anyone gone through this same process as me before...?

sabertooth:
I cant say exactly what the regulations in canada are aboot, but from what I have seen in Merican facilities, when animal quality is poor often times the glands and organs have tell tale signs of disease....so to hide the fact that there are diseased animals being approved for human consumption regulators place bans on certain glands and organs writ large, because inspecting individual organs for blemishes is more trouble than its worth...

I have personally witnessed grass fed animals with swollen joints and liver cyst have all their organs condemned, while the rest of the animal is approved and passed through the line...This is standard practice and nobody in position of regulatory power will publicly admit there is a problem.

This is why I source my own animals directly from the farm....

Try looking up local craigslist ads for quality farms..... Ask around about small ma and pop butcher operations...become extremely proactive...seek and ye shall find.

ys:
It is standard practice unfortunately.  Even if everything looks good inspector will allow only liver and kidney.  I wish I had a setup to slaughter myself so I could get everything. But I do not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version