Author Topic: A little summary of my story and buying whole animals from the farm  (Read 3325 times)

Offline XXX

• Forager
    • View Profile
   Hey guys, so first a little summary of my story. I first tried a RVAF diet last summer due to mainly digestive problems. It helped a lot, but after about a month, I went back to my old ways of eating. Because of social pressure and my lack of discipline. This april I said this is it, Im gonna do it this time and until the rest of my life. Because although I quit it last year, I understood this is the way Iam supposed to eat. Anyways, since April I have been eating 90% raw carnivore diet. I did experiment with some raw honey, didn`t turn out very good. For the last month I have been very strict eating only raw animal flesh (beef and lamb) and occasional eggs. The meat is supposedly pasture-raised organic. The thing is although it has been 3 months and last 1 month especially I have been quite strict and it seems to be going fine for now, except 2 things. First thing is that sometimes water will give me diarrhea, even if I drink it hours after I ate. Second thing is that raw meat still tastes pretty bland to me. I don`t really have appetite for it and have to force it down my throat everyday, 3 times a day, and after 3 months it gets really boring. I don`t know how long I can keep at this. So after 3 months, if raw meat still tasted bland, does that mean the meat is  bad quality, or what else could it be?
    Another thing, I think I am going to start buying whole animals from the farm, because it is cheaper and also otherwise there is a lot of things I can`t get, like blood, glands etc.. The problem is where I live, grass-fed isn`t really a thing, I was ordering my meat from a different city. I have been looking at some farms around and found one where they let goats out on pasture twice a day. They also give them hay but also some barley.. The owner said they don`t use any antibiotics or hormones or anything.  But I  saw the guy once injecting something into the animal and asked what it was. He said it is just for the ticks, nothing important. I have no idea how harmful or necessary that is. Anyways, do you guys think it is a good idea to buy from this farm? Iam gonna keep looking for other farms but I don`t think I will find a 100% grass-fed one. Because I think farmers and also other people in my area, are not informed about the subject, what the animals should eat and if that even makes any difference.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: A little summary of my story and buying whole animals from the farm
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 04:28:07 am »
don't know where you live,, but grass fed healthy cows should be very delicious, especially this time of year when cows have feasted  on lush green meadows.  Not a fan of goat meat, as it can be somewhat tough and lean. 
    Make sure you're quite hungry before eating, and make sure you're getting adequate amounts of fat.  One ratio would be 70 grams raw fat with 200 grams raw meat.  That's actual weight of fat and meat.  And yes organs are important. 
   I wouldn't want an injectable for ticks in my meat.  Nor if I was a dog,  would I want my owner putting drops of tick poison on my back or taking pills for them.  Crazy notion in my opinion. 

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 09:43:55 am »
Why are you so devoted to eating carnivore? Although I eat a modest amount of meat (raw), my diet is definitely dominated by plants. Lots of roots and tubers especially, for the fiber that feeds good gut bugs.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 11:06:57 am »
Most RVAFers  seem to thrive best on a diet of mostly raw animal food and some raw plant food. Granted, a few do 100% raw meat diets or 90% raw plant/10% raw animal food diets, but they are in a minority. Obviously , experiment to see which percentages you prefer.

In my own case, my own 100% raw animal food experiments led to me always suffering awful ill-health after 3 weeks of doing them. The first 3 weeks caused a swift reduction in physical stamina but a massive boost to my mental altertness, mental sharpness/IQ(?) etc., but then it went all downhill, with me losing all taste for any raw meats, and getting vast hunger-pangs which could not be sated by raw meat consumption(I got the same in reverse, pre-RPD diet, when in my raw vegan/fruitarian phases.

If I overdo the raw plant food intake in my RVAF diet, I find that the sugars etc. make me less healthy, overall.

Palaeo HGs had a vastly greater level of variety than we do. I find I no longer find the taste of raw foods to be tasty if I overindulge in just 1 type of food all the time for weeks on end. I found via experiments that 10-40% of my diet should consist of raw wildcaught seafood, for best results, any less or more than that tends to not work. I also find raw animal fat from innards like raw tongue or raw marrow to be very effective for me.Point being that you should try out raw innards, see if you can handle raw meats/raw organ-meats in aged, "high-meat" form etc. Constant experimentation is key. After all, we are all different,with different DNA, different health-outcomes, different epigenetic outcomes etc.

Re 100% grassfed cows:- In the UK, I have had mixed results from eating 100% raw grassfed cows. Many times, the taste was dire, suggesting that the cows were fed grains except possibly in summer, and worse. In Austria, the grassfed meat industry is way more reliable, being better regulated, and even the non-organic, non-grassfed meats taste way better, as intensive farming re animals is much reduced there. I also am able to get hold of raw wild game, and raw wildcaught seafood(more expensive), which are far superior, quality-wise.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 11:51:46 am »
Going completely carnivor helped me in the beginning during transition, but after a while I noticed something was lacking, and eatting just meat and fat without adequate organs, blood, marrow, glands would trigger periods of meat burnout, where 100% all plain meat doesn't appeal. Adding adequate organs along with around 10% low glycemic plant foods has helped me find a balance.

We can only assume that the source is of good enough quality, but even so it would be wise to branch out and find different sources, sometimes some animals from some farms are deficient in some way, and trying different sources will insure you dont build up any major imbalance, plus it will help train your taste buds to better seek out the most optimis primal supply.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 12:10:34 pm by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 07:28:21 pm »
The taste of grass-fed cattle (or sheep, or goats) will depend on what they are eating. I have had 100% grass-fed meat that tasted wonderful, and 100% grass-fed meat that tasted terrible. Fresh grass & herbs versus dry forage (hay) makes a difference, but quality of live forage makes a difference too.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 08:45:48 pm »
In the UK, grassfed meat farmers would routinely tell me they fed their cattle on sileage and hay  during winter months. Perhaps that was the reason why I did not like the taste of some raw
 grassfed meats.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline XXX

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 01:13:15 am »
I am not really devoted to carnivore. But I am hesitant to add in plants for a few reasons:
1) I feel like fiber was the cause of my gut problems in the first place.
2) The mental clarity and creativity that comes with zerocarb. I really like that and don`t wanna give it up.
3) The success stories of so many people on even cooked zerocarb forums.
However, I am open to anything and will keep experimenting to find out what works. If I were to add some plants back in, which low glycemic ones could be good options, which wouldn`t give my gut a hard time? Is it ok eat them at the same time with animal foods? Can you guys give examples of what you eat in a day and how much so I get a better idea.
Regarding meat, I am gonna try different sources and see how that goes.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 01:23:47 am »
Fiber might well have been a big cause of your gut problems, but that does not mean you should avoid it.

Not all dietary fiber is created equal. The two main groupings are soluble fiber and insoluble fiber. Most gut microbes require soluble fiber, which comes from fruits, nuts, leaves, stems, roots, and tubers. If you eat a lot of this type of fiber, your gut microbiome will probably be quite diverse, which is good, and the 'good' gut bugs will likely outcompete the 'bad' gut bugs for space, helping your gut to heal and helping to properly regulate your immune response and reduce chronic inflammation. They also tend to release short-chain fatty acids as 2ndary metabolites, which is beneficial because these are useful metabolically.

Insoluble fiber comes primarily from cereal grains like wheat, rice, corn, etc. Eating a lot of this fiber leads to a gut microbiome that is much less diverse and that tends to favor types of bacteria that are inflammatory.

So if your diet included a lot of fiber from cereal grains, then it is not surprising that did a number of your gut.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 01:54:27 am »
I would recommend  eating just 1 food at a time, since you seem to have gut problems. It's just easier to digest.
" Ron Paul.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 02:12:40 am »
If truly interested in zero carb, look at the website 'Paleomedicina'.   they have a different take on gut microbiome.  I can't vouch for it, as I've been only eating according to their suggestions for some months ( but have been close to zero carb for many years ).   But again, I stress the importance of organs, proper fat/protein ratios, and finding good tasting grass fed meat and fat.  I've never enjoyed meat and fat as much as I do now.  I eat twice a day.  And, to each their own journey.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 02:50:58 am »
There are worlds of difference between eating fiber contained in low glycemic whole plant foods and the fiber of highly starchy and processed foods. I consume a fair amount of coconut, along with some other plants like tomatoes, avocado, salad greens, various herbs, occasional small amounts of nuts and seeds. After living this way for a number of years my body will let me know if I have had too much, or the wrong type of fiber with subtle signals like bloating, or a change in cravings. You should be able to "slowly" add back small amounts of a limited variety of low glycemic, (non grain or legume) fiber containing foods without compromising the overall benefits of ZC. Be very patient and take it really slow with introducing new foods...sometimes there can be delayed reactions in which by the time you notice a negative effect you have already eaten too much of something...other times the negative gut reaction may be a result of a hostile realignment of gut microflora which may seem like a negative event, such as a temporary period of loose stools, or bloating... in the long term such episodes may be necessary in order to find the balance that best works for you. In order for your body to teach you how best to live it may be necessary to do some experiment trials with different foods with while using caution, moderation and discernment
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 08:45:43 am by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline PaganGoy

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 05:31:39 am »
Whatever you do always eat raw veg an hour away from other foods or it will screw with digestion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk