Author Topic: Handling and preserving blood and the whole animal  (Read 2154 times)

Offline XXX

• Forager
    • View Profile
Handling and preserving blood and the whole animal
« on: August 04, 2018, 04:07:18 am »
Hey there, so as I have mentioned in a different post before(About not having appetite for raw meat. Iam going to make an update there in a few weeks to tell you guys what Im doing now and how it is going), Iam going to get a whole animal from a farm soon. I told the farmer that I wanted to collect the blood also. He said it clots very fast and so there is no point collecting it? How should I handle blood. Collect it, put it in a glass air-tight container as soon as possible and then put it in the fridge like that when I go home? For the muscle I bought hooks and am going to hang them(Special thanks to Sabertooth, got the idea from your video), I also put a humidity absorber in fridge to keep it dry so Im hoping that will turn out fine. Im not sure how to store fat and organs. If I put them open air on plates in the fridge, since it will be pretty dry inside Im not sure if it is a good thing if they dry out fast as well?

Offline PaganGoy

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Handling and preserving blood and the whole animal
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 05:17:00 am »
Update us on how it goes with storing some of the blood I am curious myself.

Offline XXX

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: Handling and preserving blood and the whole animal
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 04:15:28 am »
Update us on how it goes with storing some of the blood I am curious myself.
I stored it an airtight container in the fridge. Lasted me a week and it was still fresh. Some of it gets clotted as soon as you collect it, but it is still edible. I have to say this though. Drinking blood and eating the organs from a freshly killed animal is truly an interesting experience. I didn`t even wanna touch the muscle. I can understand why predators go for the organs first and the Inuit aswell and why they would eat the organs raw but cook the muscle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk