Author Topic: Laundry soap, cleaning and personal hygiene  (Read 29656 times)

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Laundry soap, cleaning and personal hygiene
« on: June 06, 2008, 04:37:42 am »
What do you use to wash and clean?

http://www.maggiespureland.com/

and for your personal hygiene :-\???

xylothrill

Re: Laundry soap, cleaning and personal hygiene
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 12:30:40 pm »
I use toothsoap for my teeth but when I run out, I think I'll just use regular castle soap since I've gotten used to the taste. I use either Crystal or Tom's of Maine deodorant. I have found though that I really don't smell bad so long as I shower daily, for which I use Dr Bonner's on only "key areas" and hair. The rest of my body I just rinse. If I'm dirty, I just rub it off. Only if I've gotten grease on myself do I use soap to get it off. I think our natural oils are there to protect the skin and provide vitamin D.

I've never head of the soapnuts. How interesting! I've made my own laundry soap out of borax, washing soda, and melted castle soap but It wasn't really effective. So I just use whatever natural stuff I can find or at least unscented regular detergent.

Craig

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 04:19:04 pm »
I've recently taken to using coconut-oil soap, as it's less worse than other soaps. Though I would never go in or eating coconut oil as such. I also use a unique antibacterial deodorant called trust, so as to avoid using the aluminium-containing sprays that others use. I only rub it on the hair , not the skin, so the petroleum -content etc. isn't too harmful as a result. I very rarely  wash my hair as my hair is self-cleaning. Other than a mouthwash to soothe the sensitivities of cooked-food eaters e my use of "high-meat", that's all I use re chemicals.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 01:38:40 am »
For laundry and dishes I've been using whatever my local hfs has as "ecological" stuff. I've used "Seventh Generation" products and others. Right now I'm using a soap made at a farm I used to shop at but it's running out so I'll probably buy some Dr. Bronner's or something like that. I use some kind of "natural" toothpaste with an Ayurvedic formula, and I started washing my hair again sometimes because someone gave me some shampoo and conditioner they haven't been using. I try to use natural deodorant but it's the damndest thing, sometimes it just doesn't work at all.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 02:17:10 am »
For laundry, I've been not using any detergent at all. Water alone should be enough to get rid of any dirt/skin cell/etc. buildup. That is unless the clothes are really really dirty. Hydrogen peroxide works to remove most stains. Before stopping my use of detergent, I believe the brand I used was Seventh Generation, although that may have been just my dish detergent.

For teeth, I both brush and rinse with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda.

For hair, I mix up some apple cider vinegar and baking soda with a little warm water and rinse my hair with that every few days. Other than that, just water. My hair is more shiny, soft, and manageable than it's EVER been.

For hand soap, I use whatever natural bar soap I happen to buy whenever I need some. Right now it's some Ayurvedic soap.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 02:35:26 am »
Teeth= I use only water and scrub, and soak my tooth brush once a week in sea salt water to clean it.

Laundry= Some eco friendly brand...

Bath & Shower= Just water and scrub with my hands. No rags involved.

I'm eating 80% to 90% meats and organs now. No need for special dental care tooth paste.

People have been brainwashed into thinking they need these products. If your eating strict raw paleo, you don't need any of those products. They are a waste of resources and energy to produce anyway.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 02:37:56 am by Sully »

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 03:45:45 am »
I have got some soapnuts (a little bag last a year) now

http://www.antalava.com/english/home.html

(not this make) and am very happy with the result. I boiled some up and use the brew for cleaning and personal hygiene (I go swimming every day so I need a little something).

I don't need any deo; I shave once a week and don't smell of sweat.

I clean my teeth once a day with the acid water (extra for cleaning teeth) from my ionized water magic box.

So happy not to "need" or "believe to need" all that rubbish (I was brain washed threw my up bringing and learnt to be a beautician on top!) I used to spend time and money on :D.

Nicola

Offline akaikumo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 08:11:23 am »
Not on raw or full paleo yet, still in transition, but I use baking soda pretty frequently--teeth, body, hair, cleaning, laundry; pretty much everything. I've mixed it with a little corn starch to make deodorant and brushed it on, and it worked fine. Best thing about it is it's cheap.
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 09:57:51 am »
80 years ago BO didn't exist, dream't up by some very clever marketers. I personally don't mind BO unless the person is unclean,unwell or trying to cover it up with perfumes/deodorant. My work takes me into the city and out to the bush and I find office workers are stinkier than outdoor workers which goes against what you would think.
Laundry - washing up liquid (my work clothes get really dirty)
Teeth - Bicarb soda  (15+ years)
Dirty hands - cheap soap
Hair - Keep it really short
Deodorant - I used bicarb soda when I was a teenager but stopped deodorant about 12 years ago. Never had any problems after the first few months...
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 11:17:24 pm »
Anyone here like the smell of Old Spice? It's just so classic; unfortunately I'm sure it contains aluminum and other no-no's.

Offline akaikumo

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 08:50:18 am »
I was looking at soap nuts, and I was curious if anyone had ever grown Chinese Soapberry indoors? I know it's a tree, so I'm not sure what it would do potted (large pot) and pruned.
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais Nin

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 09:43:54 am »
My wife buys organic laundry soap from the organic cooperative.
For personal hygiene, I soap only my butt with light virgin coconut oil soap.  Aside from that I don't soap the rest of my body.  My hands when they're dirty.
I do not shampoo nor soap my hair.  When I do get a haircut I do shampoo with gugu, it is a traditional pure herb extract sold in the market.
For toothpaste, just water, if i feel a need, some of the virgin coconut oil soap.
For deodorant I use calamansi, a citrus, like lemon.  But only when i feel the need.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

rawrock2

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 06:28:52 am »
body and hair ->  I use a mix of raw aloe vera, oranges, lemons, and habanero peppers

teeth -> regular toothpaste (although I'm probably going to start using only strawberries when I go back to 100% raw paleo)

deodarant -> I use the crystal stick (I don't like using this because the of the ammonium alum and potassium alum it contains but I've tried lemon & calamansi but they don't really work for me.  I would continue to use natural alternatives but the office I work at doesn't like the body odor I have when not using the crystal.... :( )

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 06:48:37 am »
body and hair ->  I use a mix of raw aloe vera, oranges, lemons, and habanero peppers

teeth -> regular toothpaste (although I'm probably going to start using only strawberries when I go back to 100% raw paleo)

deodarant -> I use the crystal stick (I don't like using this because the of the ammonium alum and potassium alum it contains but I've tried lemon & calamansi but they don't really work for me.  I would continue to use natural alternatives but the office I work at doesn't like the body odor I have when not using the crystal.... :( )

I use a product called trust. It contains no aluminium, unlike most other deodorants, and you just put it on the hair under the arms, and it kills off the bacteria. Since the bacteria only reappear , smell-wise, after c.5 days, you only have to use it once every 5 days before going to bed. I don't know how strawberries would help re teeth
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Satya

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 07:06:01 am »

Holy moley, habaneros on the body?

I use Jason deoderant.  Aluminum free.  I like the herbs and spice variety.  And it works great.

rawrock2

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 08:09:28 am »
I don't know how strawberries would help re teeth
Strawberries can help whiten your teeth. 
Holy moley, habaneros on the body?
Yep, makes the skin tighter and helps toughen the skin. (for me at least)  It does burn at first but you get used to that feeling quickly.

Offline Squall

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 08:46:48 am »
Do you guys feel that your body "odor" is less or non-existent since your dietary changes? I love the weekends because I can get away with not wearing deodorant, but at work that could get awkward, so I spread on the aluminum stuff ... but as lightly as possible these days. I used to use the Tom's stuff, but it seemed more annoying and messy, not to mention almost ineffective for my needs. Then again, I've been eating trash for the last 28 years, too. Was hoping that once I've done the more natural thing for long enough, I might not even need deodorant.
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.

- Bertrand Russell

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 09:52:53 am »
No, I don't notice less body odor... actually I think eating a lot of meat makes my body odor worse, but it could be something else. It can get really bad actually  :-[

applying apple cider vinegar (sometimes with a drop of tea tree oil) to my underarms at night and then washing off in the morning helps for the next day. also I find that taking cold showers instead of hot helps a lot too for some reason.
sometimes I still need to use my Tom's deodorant. Just one or two swipes does the job.

I read a lot of places that said eating red meat is a big factor in body odor. Part of me just doesn't want to believe that, but that's probably not good. I'd really like to not have to use anything, but I don't want to give up my red meat. Is body odor definitely a sign of unhealthiness?

Offline Squall

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 11:21:02 am »
I've read that, too. That's definitely a common theme on veg boards, and the mechanism they say is putrefaction of the meat in the intestines. But I've also heard that putrefaction doesn't occur with raw meats, just cooked, largely owing to the difficulty in digesting cooked foods. Maybe it just depends on the person?
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.

- Bertrand Russell

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 03:11:57 pm »
Do you guys feel that your body "odor" is less or non-existent since your dietary changes? I love the weekends because I can get away with not wearing deodorant, but at work that could get awkward, so I spread on the aluminum stuff ... but as lightly as possible these days. I used to use the Tom's stuff, but it seemed more annoying and messy, not to mention almost ineffective for my needs. Then again, I've been eating trash for the last 28 years, too. Was hoping that once I've done the more natural thing for long enough, I might not even need deodorant.

I had zero body odor and had in fact sweet body odor during raw fruitarian.
But I felt cold and became too thin so I went raw paleo.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2008, 06:57:02 am »
I've been using baking soda for deodorant and it works well. I have a cup of it in my bathroom and every day I pour out a little bit into my hand, allow a few drops of water from the faucet to fall into it (just enough to mix well and dissolve) and then apply it. It has to be the cheapest deodorant possible and not at all harmful.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2008, 07:54:51 am »
I've been using baking soda for deodorant and it works well. I have a cup of it in my bathroom and every day I pour out a little bit into my hand, allow a few drops of water from the faucet to fall into it (just enough to mix well and dissolve) and then apply it. It has to be the cheapest deodorant possible and not at all harmful.

Hey Kyle I've been doing this for 15 years, it works and I started to use less and less and now never wear any. I have a cold shower or swim once a day and wash my under arms with soap.

When I used to got out to pubs/parties i i noticed a got more ladies if I hadn't put on deodorant or had a shower just wash my face,  it works i swear!

“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Bellyfull

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2008, 11:45:55 am »

I clean my teeth once a day with the acid water (extra for cleaning teeth) from my ionized water magic box..
Nicola

nicola,

what is acid water and water magic box?

Do you still like soap nuts?

William

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 12:21:41 am »
Miracle II for hands when I've been working on the car or cleaning guns, also for laundry. Otherwise I don't use any soap.

Started using it because the inventor's story of how he found it (writing on the wall at 2 AM! :) ) tickled my fancy. Used to use it for showers - it's the only soap that ever made me feel good.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2008, 03:28:45 am »
nicola,

what is acid water and water magic box?

Do you still like soap nuts?

I have an alkaline water ionizer, which also produces 1 - 4 grades of acid water (1 is for cleaning my teeth, 2 for washing the body, 3 for washing dishes and 4 for cleaning out the cats toilet box).

I now have EM's in my water (for the gut).

Yes, I still use my "Waschnüsse" for clothes, cleaning, hair and body after swimming...

Nicola

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk