Author Topic: Favourite raw-foodist quotation debunked  (Read 4066 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Favourite raw-foodist quotation debunked
« on: May 26, 2009, 06:08:10 pm »
Aajonus likes to claim that Pasteur said on his deathbed that Bechamp was right and that germs were not the problem, but that  the environment the germs were in was the real problem. Anyway, this website claims that this quotation is merely an urban legend and may be right:-

http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/comment/pasteur.htm

And to think that I've referred to that quotation in the past on a few occasions.

That said, the above skeptic's link is also somewhat fraudulent in its 100% praise for Pasteur. It seems that Pasteur was by no means whiter than white, and, like many famous scientists, wasn't above committing scientific fraud when it suited him:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Pasteur

At any rate, if people come across any such links debunking standard rawist claims/quotations, feel free to post them here in the hot topics forum. I think it's important that those concerns are addressed, and not just ignored for reasons of dogma. For example, on rawpaleodiet.com, I wrote an extensive essay on the (rather rabid!) anti-raw essay on beyondveg.com, where I ruthlessly debunked most of the anti-raw comments, but also acknowledged that some pro-rawist myths were not kosher, either. This way, we can get rid of many urban legends about rawism(such as the notion that raw meat kills) by citing such topics/links - but also, we clean up our yard as regards having decent data backing up raw-foodism.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite raw-foodist quotation debunked
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 08:42:22 am »
I'd say the raw vegan idea that "juice fasting fixes all ills", or that fasting fixes all ills.  It definitely helps, in moderation, but it can definitely be overdone.

I like the idea, I just can't think of any good quotes. I'm sure if we looked through the discussion board archives at rawfoods.com we could fine some raw vegan sayings that aren't absolutely vegan. 

I'll keep thinking about this thread, and try to come up with stuff. 

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 08:11:02 pm »
Not sure about quotes, but I'd LOVE to hear something regarding DETOX.

I never had any detox and have no idea what people are talking about, but I note that it becomes a catch-all for anything that doesn't seem to be working with raw foodists in general, or even when something usual pops up like catching a cold or being tired.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 09:28:20 pm »
things like colds are really some kind of detox, as I always feel better afterwards
there is only one condition - you should go through the illness in a natural way, without any medication
the same is with diarrhea, vomiting, etc.
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 12:51:24 am »
Not sure about quotes, but I'd LOVE to hear something regarding DETOX.

I never had any detox and have no idea what people are talking about, but I note that it becomes a catch-all for anything that doesn't seem to be working with raw foodists in general, or even when something usual pops up like catching a cold or being tired.

My interpretation of a genuine detox is that it lasts only a relatively short period,usually just 2-4 days, but occasionally a couple of weeks or so), you feel slightly better after the detox compared to before the detox, and the symptoms of a genuine detox are usually at best moderate or minor. If a detox occurs every time one eats a certain food, then it can't be a genuine detox or if symptoms keep on getting worse the longer one is doing the "detox", then it's not a genuine detox(the only exception is edible clay which is a substanjce well-knownm to bind with toxins in the body).

Most rawists I know of harbour huge amounts of toxins from cooked-food days so 90% of the time get a detox when first switching to raw(I got green diarrhea on a constant basis over a period of 2-3 days when I first went for RVAF diets, then detoxes lasting 2-4 days every 2-4 months(frequency, duration and severity of the detox lessening over time) until I no longer experienced detox after a couple of years.

My impression is that many of those who report going through absolutely no detoxes on the path to health, have usually previously done some sort of "clean" diet such as cooked, palaeolithic diet, so have stored fewer toxins that need to be got rid of.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk