Author Topic: Raw Jerky? Raw dehydrated meats?  (Read 9984 times)

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
Raw Jerky? Raw dehydrated meats?
« on: June 24, 2009, 11:54:48 pm »
Anyone know how to dehydrate raw meats?

What are the concerns of dehydrating meats?

I'm looking for a raw meat answer to raw food bars (Larabars, Organic Food Bars, etc.).

Thanx!
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Jerky? Raw dehydrated meats?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 12:44:11 am »
Lex Rooker is the expert.
Here are some useful links -
Jerkydrierinstructions
PEMMICAN
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 04:46:47 pm »
Just don't dehydrate at temperatures above 104 degrees fahrenheit/40 degrees celsius as , after that point, the food becomes cooked, enzymes being destroyed etc.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 04:53:06 pm »
Just don't dehydrate at temperatures above 104 degrees fahrenheit/40 degrees celsius as , after that point, the food becomes cooked, enzymes being destroyed etc.
Aajonus said that meat shouldn't be heated above 98 degrees fahrenheit/ 37 degrees celcius
it would take weeks to thoroughly dehydrate meat at such low temperature 
good luck! ;)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 04:55:16 pm »
Aajonus said that meat shouldn't be heated above 98 degrees fahrenheit/ 37 degrees celcius
good luck! ;)

Well, many primal dieters seem to have no problems dehydrating at 98 degrees, judging from past comments on the primal diet yahoo group, so maybe they take less time than one might think.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 08:20:59 pm »
good luck! ;)

He might have got that from the Essene Gospels, where it is written something like " Eat nothing that has been heated with more than the fire of the body".

I have a thermostatically controlled heated dryer, and I set it to 95°F (it won't go any lower).
It takes three days to be brittle enough for me, although recently I dry for 4 to 5 days because it makes it easier to grind to powder in my manual Porkert #10.

I assume that the trick is to have some wind when drying at ambient temperatures (my dryer has a fan), otherwise the meat gets moldy and/or rotten. Note that the stories of traditional pemmican making are mostly from the Great Plains of western North America, where there is no lack of wind. Ever, IIRC.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 12:32:47 am »
My excaliber dehydrator can dehydrate 1/2 cuts of meat for jerky at 95 Farhenheit in a day or two. For long term storage (100% dry) maybe another day add on for safety.

William

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 12:51:17 am »
I have the same dryer, mostly I am drying rolled ground beef ~1/8" thick.
I suppose it depends on how dry is dry, chacun a son gout.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 12:59:35 am »
But you mean "dry" jerky, that could be stored for over a year, without spoilage? 

Offline Raw Rob

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 02:05:46 am »
I have an Excalibur dehydrator as well. If I slice the meat real thin it will be done in a day. If I were storing the meat for a year, I guess I would leave it in there for an extra day or two.

I also put my suet and marrow bones on a plate at the bottom to warm them and make the fat more mushy. It works really well. When I go to scoop the marrow it comes right out.

I never put it above 95. You don't need to.

William

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 04:57:04 am »
But you mean "dry" jerky, that could be stored for over a year, without spoilage? 

Yes, except I make pemmican which I expect to be good for at least 30 years.

I seal it in Mason jars, this after previously unknown two-tone bugs started eating through the ziploc freezer bags.

William

Offline donrad

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Omnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 10:57:32 am »
I eat almost all my meat half dried. After a lot of experimentation, I am settling in on ground meat. I have 3 dryers. 2 are Nesco professionals that go down to 95' with fans. The ground meat is easy to mix with seasonings and dries quickly. I found a device that is similar to a caulking  gun. I squeezes out jerky-like strips very quickly. It drys to my liking in a day. I can vary the spices for variety.

I only dry the meat half way because I like the flavor and texture much better. One day portions are put in baggies and stored in the freezer to control mold and spoilage. These are great to take to work with raw fruit and veggies.

The ground meat is less expensive from my grass fed meat suppliers. Various meats (pork, lamb, goat, chicken) can be mixed. I also grind and add organ meats which I can get at a much lower cost from some producers. Heart and kidney are great dried. Liver is kind of strong but is mellowed by the other cuts. If needed, I chop the meat in a food processor. Ground meat also has a good fat content that is evenly distributed.

About a two week supply works pretty good for me. I don't know why anyone would want to store it for any longer.

There is evidence that our prehistoric ancestors smoked and dried meat. And seafood. It is a way to take advantage of seasonal migrations. The native Americans in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. dried their salmon in cold smoke over a period of about a week. Smoke is a preservative and keeps flies away.

While my co-workers are destroying themselves with vending machine crap, I'm eating good and feeling great. It also saves a lot of food preparation time, cleanup, and I can eat while I'm doing whatever. Three meals a day were designed for the 8 to 5 workforce.
Naturally, Don

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 06:21:32 pm »
I doubt that palaeo peoples bothered with drying meats before the advent of fire as they would have been used to rotting meats.

My 1 problem re dried meats is that they're not natural foods, having their water-content reduced. One of the advantages often cited re doing a raw diet is that one is eating foods richer in water-content allowing better digestion/absorption of nutrients.

Smoked meats are definitely a bad idea as they contain pollutants from the smoke, even if just cold-smoked.
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 08:47:18 pm »
Meat does not rot if sliced and hung - on the branch of a tree for instance, if there is any air movement.
Early Paleoman may have been used to maggots, maybe they tasted like spices, then later they became picky and used smoke.
Having personally smoked a salmon according to the instructions onsite of an aboriginal American, I can assure everyone that it did not taste like the  "smoked" stuff we can buy. Very little taste of smoke, if any.

IMHO they would have eaten little else than dried. Note the scratch marks on their teeth.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk