Author Topic: Museum of disgusting foods coming to LA  (Read 1888 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Museum of disgusting foods coming to LA
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 03:18:25 am »
First thought: Is he trying to display these foods in a good, humanizing light? or is this a freak show for profit or other ends?

From the article:
“Our planet cannot sustain current meat production, and we need to consider alternative protein sources such as insects and lab-grown meat. [Maybe] changing our ideas of disgust help us embrace the environmentally sustainable foods of the future. It could help us transition to more sustainable protein sources,” explains Ahrens.

From the Seattle Times article:
https://www.seattletimes.com/life/food-drink/gag-rotting-fish-maggots-on-menu-at-disgusting-food-museum/

“A lot of big groups in (the) Western world are all of a sudden thinking ‘Meat has become disgusting, something that I could never put into my mouth,'” he said. “And that is something quite new in the history here, where something considered as being normal, and prestigious, being the thing that you were aiming for Sunday, and all of a sudden that had become a matter of disgust for many people.”

Ahrens in attached photo, on the left. Doesn't look like a Swede to me.

Kinda looks like he's related to Lev Davidovich Bronshtein.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 03:53:20 am by actup »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 05:07:51 am »

He's trying to say that, by diversifying our food-intake, we can leave less of a terrifying burden on the environment. Eating raw insects(full of raw animal fats) is one way. But there are other possibilities, such as eating raw wild herbs and avoiding mass modern agriculture, etc...
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 05:42:11 am »
I agree that CAFOs are harmful to the environment and everyone involved, but I didn't see any mention of pastured animals or anything like that in his quotes. Just "we need to consider alternative protein sources such as insects and lab-grown meat." Insects are unappealing to me and probably unnecessary. Seems like too much of a contrived option. As far as lab grown meats go... no thanks.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 05:51:55 am »
I agree that CAFOs are harmful to the environment and everyone involved, but I didn't see any mention of pastured animals or anything like that in his quotes. Just "we need to consider alternative protein sources such as insects and lab-grown meat." Insects are unappealing to me and probably unnecessary. Seems like too much of a contrived option. As far as lab grown meats go... no thanks.
He is simply pointing out that types of food eaten 100s of years ago, which were loved or hated then, are now treated in a reverse way. I mean, come on, Australian Aborigines ate  raw, live witchetty grubs, which are full of healthy raw fats. OK,  so lab-grown meats should always be a no-no for RPDers, but he is also advocating raw, aged cheese full of maggots etc. etc.!
" Ron Paul.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 05:59:08 am »
Ah, see I did't notice any advocacy in his exhibition. Seems more like he's trying to make people's skin craw and then tie that feeling to meat foods in general. Like he wants the public to eventually view all natural meat in the same way most people view sheep's eyeball soup now.

I'd happily try any of this and might even venture into Los Angeles if he were giving out samples, but I don't think that's what's happening.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk