Author Topic: Warning re mislabelling of raw foods  (Read 1532 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Warning re mislabelling of raw foods
« on: December 29, 2018, 07:50:44 pm »
Hi,

I mentioned, ages ago, how Uk laws allowed honey to be labelled "raw" as long as it had "only" been heated to no more than 80 degrees Celsius for a short time. Similiarly, I now encounter "salmon tartare" which is actually smoked salmon, not raw at all. Recently, I even had a beef tartare at a local restaurant which had a cooked fried egg on top(anathema!) and also made me feel ill as there was a definite chemical aftertaste shortly after the meal. In other words, the chef, out of fear of raw meats, habitually cleaned his meat-knife with detergents, but failed to fully clean it inbetween.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline madnomad

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Warning re mislabelling of raw foods
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 09:50:46 pm »
Another good reason why I no longer eat out at restaurants: quality control. I also try to avoid packaged foods as much as possible and source fresh from local farmers/butchers as much as possible.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Warning re mislabelling of raw foods
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 12:32:14 am »
*Just a mo*. I have indeed occasionally encountered decent RPD-friendly restaurants. In 3 of 5  cases, they were Japanese sashimi restaurants, with only 1 not being nouvelle-cuisine-ish. Then there are 2 Ethiopian restaurants which offer gored gored, which is likely not 100% grassfed, but this being austria, the meat won't be too intensively farmed. Do NOT order kitfo as that is suffused with chilli already inside, in vast quantities.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk