Author Topic: Detailed Analysis of All Nutrients (Vitamins/Minerals) in Animal Foods  (Read 3759 times)

Offline Qondrar_The_Redeemer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Below is a detailed analysis of the nutrient composition of different animal foods:

NutrientFoods%DV per 100 grams from highest source
Vitamin A (retinol in animal foods, more bioavailable)Liver, eggs, kidneys, high quality fats,cod liver oilLiver (300-60000%DV NOTE: The higher end includes polar bear liver, which contains 15,000 – 30,000 units in each gram. You could technically eat polar bear liver by the grams and perhaps avoid adverse side effects, as a single teaspoon would "only" have 150,000 units (the reports of polar explorers dying were never confirmed, as the people that ate it that got sick recovered later on. Polar bear liver is also supposedly high in cadmium and arsenic in some cases, so it would probably be wise to only eat small amounts if you ever do try polar bear liver.) - Highest of all foods, including plants and mushrooms
Vitamin COrgans, blood, small amounts in muscleSpleen (75%DV, 10.5 times higher than an apple)
Vitamin D3(found only in animal foods)Organs, eggs, fish, high quality animal fatsCod liver oil (2500%DV), from entirely natural sources (mostly higher in fish) (10-400%DV) - Highest of all foods, including plants and mushrooms
Vitamin EHigh quality fats, eggs, organs (bone marrow)Similar amounts found in foods (10-20%DV)
Vitamin K2(Found only in fermented and animal foods)Fermented foods, organs, high quality fats, eggsLiver (150-500%DV) Can be increased by aging/fermenting any food
Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)Organs, muscle, eggsOrgans (10-70%DV)
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)Organs, muscle, eggsOrgans (up to 200%DV)
Vitamin B3 (Niacin)Organs, muscle, eggsOrgans (up to 100%DV)
Vitamin B4 (Choline)Organs, muscle, eggsEgg yolk (up to 120%DV)
Vitamin B5 (Panthotenic Acid)Organs, muscle, eggsOrgans (up to 100%DV)
Vitamin B6 (pyridoxal and pyridoxamine found only in animal foods)Organs, muscle, eggs, bloodOrgans (20-100%DV)
Vitamin B7 (Biotin, almost nonexistent in plants, except for yeast)All animal foods, highest in organs.Liver (57%DV)
Vitamin B8 (Inositol)Organ meats, found in smaller amounts in other animal foods.There is no official RDA for inositol, which is not recognized as a vitamin. It is also difficult to list recommended daily intakes, as it is made in the body.
Vitamin B9 (Folate)Organs, muscle, eggsOrgans (up to 100%DV)
Vitamin B10 (PABA)Vitamin B10 is found abundantly in plant and animal sources.The rate at which humans need PABA or whether they require it at all seems to be highly debated, but it is commonly used in spite of this.
Vitamin B11 (PHGA)Vitamin B11 is present in both animal and plant kingdom. Highest sources are organs.Salicylic acid is an important beta hydroxy vitamin also known as Vitamin B11. It is a crystalline and organic acid. Salicylic acid is obtained from the metabolism of salicin. This vitamin is also found in plants where it plays role in the growth and development of the plants as well as in various other functions such as photosynthesis, ion uptake and in transpiration. It is synthesized in the human body by the phenylalanine amino acid.
Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin, found only in animal foods)Organs, muscle, eggsOrgans (up to 1500%DV) - Highest of all foods, including plants and mushrooms
Vitamin B13 (Orotic Acid)High in all meat.Vitamin B13 is not really recognized as a vitamin, since it is manufactured by the body by intestinal flora. It is primarily used for metabolization of folic acid and vitamin B12. It assists the absorption of essential nutrients especially calcium and magnesium and helps the production of genetic material. It may be beneficial after a heart attack and has been used in conditions such as multiple sclerosis and chronic hepatitis. It is also reported to prevent liver-related complications and premature aging.
Vitamin B14Found in all meat (muscle, organs) and eggs.There is currently little knowledge about this vitamin B14. It was first isolated from wine. This vitamin is actually found to be a metabolite of xanthopterin. However, it was said by a biochemist Earl R. Norris xanthopterin was the Vitamin B14. It is thought to be similar to vitamin 10 and vitamin 11. It is very helpful in formation of cells of the body. It provide resistance to combat anemias. Vitamin B14 provide enhancement of anti tumor growth of protein such as pterin phosphate.
Vitamin B15 (Pangamic acid)Found in blood.Pangamic acid might serve as a methyl donor to help form certain amino acids. Vitamin B15 may play a role in glucose oxidation and cell respiration, says Elson M. Haas, M.D. and founder and director of the Preventative Medical Center of Marin. The claim is it may help hypoxia by increasing oxygen to the heart and other muscles. With vitamins C and E, vitamin B15 may act as an antioxidant, helping to protect cells from oxidation. Pangamic acid is also thought to stimulate the nervous system and promote liver function, which may contribute to detoxification.
Vitamin B16 (DMG)Physiologically, vitamin B-16 is a byproduct of choline. It circulates in your body in small amounts for only seconds at a time. You can find vitamin B-16 naturally in both animal and plant cells and in certain foods including liver.Vitamin B-16 is a derivative of the amino acid glycine; it has a similar chemical structure to a water-soluble vitamin. The structural formula of vitamin B-16 is (CH3)2NCH2COOH. In your body, your small intestine absorbs vitamin B-16, and then your liver converts it into other useful metabolites. Vitamin B-16 also functions as a building block to DNA, amino acids, neurotransmitters and hormones.
BetaineOrgans, muscle, eggsFish (%DV not established)
CalciumBones, bone marrow, dairy, eggs, blood, smaller amount in other animal foodsBones (1000-3000%DV) - Highest of all foods, including plants and mushrooms
Iron (heme iron in animal foods, more bioavailable)Organs, muscle, eggsSpleen and blood(250%DV) - Highest of all foods, including plants and mushrooms
MagnesiumAll foods except pure fatMollusks (70%DV)
PotassiumAll foods except pure fatBlood and spleen (10-15%DV)
SodiumAll foods except pure fatOysters, beacuse of seawater (30-100%DV), otherwise blood and spleen
PhosphorusAll foods except pure fatBones (500-1500%DV) - Highest of all foods, including plants and mushrooms
CopperOrgans, muscle, eggsLiver (500-700%DV), otherwise mollusks (1000-1400%DV) - Highest of all foods, including plants and mushrooms
ZincOrgans, muscle, eggs, oystersMollusks (1200%DV) - Highest of all foods, including plants and mushrooms
SeleniumOrgans, muscle, eggsArctic mammal liver (potentially poisonous because of cadmium and arsenic, see vitamin A for details, 1000%DV), otherwise kidneys (200%DV) - Highest of all foods, including plants and mushrooms
ManganeseHigher amounts in organs and oystersOrgans and oysters(20%DV)
IodineMuscle, organs, eggsThyroid gland (10000%DV) - Highest of all foods, including plants and mushrooms
ChlorideThe highest source of chloride is salt, as only traces are found in most foods. All meat provides easily assimilated chloride. Lacto-fermented beverages and bone broths are usually cited as sources of chloride. Other sources include celery and coconut.3400 mg is equal to 100%DV.
Sulphur (found mostly in animal foods)Scallops (570 mg per 100 grams) and lobsters (510 mg per 100 grams) are the best sources. High amounts found in organs (around 300 mg per 100 grams). Eggs, muscle and dairy also have relatively high amounts.Although there is no official RDA for sulfur, it is a critical nutrient. Daily intake is usually 800 to 900 milligrams of sulfur per day. Scallops (570 mg per 100 grams) and lobsters (510 mg per 100 grams) are the best sources. - Highest of all foods, including plants and mushrooms
Boron (found in higher levels in plants and fish, shellfish)All animal foods, higher in plants.There is no Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for boron since an essential biological role for it has not been identified. People consume varying amounts of boron depending on their diet. Diets considered to be high in boron provide approximately 3.25 mg of boron per 2000 kcal per day. Diets considered to be low in boron provide 0.25 mg of boron per 2000 kcal per day. Most meat contain 0.1 mg of boron per 100 grams. Fish and shellfish contain higher levels.
ChromiumAll animal foods.Egg yolks (152%DV), meat (50%DV) - Highest of all foods, including plants and mushrooms
Cobalt (requires vitamin B12 to be absorbed, which is found only in animal foods)A cobalt atom resides in the center of the vitamin B12 molecule. Despite green leafy vegetables having a cobalt content of 20-60 mcg/100 grams, while organs have 15-25 mcg/100 grams, it is assimilated only by intake of vitamin B12. Because of this, cobalt deficiency occurs most frequently in vegetarians and vegans.Cobalt are assimilated only by intake of vitamin B12, and not in its ionic or metallic form.Therefore, there is no clear recommended amounts of cobalt because there are just recommendations for vitamin B12.In this vitamin it is absorbed in the amount of 5-8 micrograms per day. Highest animal source are organ meats (15-25 mcg/100 grams)
GermaniumMeat and dairyGermanium is a trace mineral with no Recommended Daily Amount (RDA) established.
MolybdenumSmall amounts in eggs, dairy. Very small amounts in muscle. Higher in organs, very high in liver.Liver (125%DV)
Silicon (found mostly in plants, other than organs)Organ meats are quite a common source of silicon, while muscle, eggs and dairy is pretty low. In general higher in plants, with the exception of organs.There is no official recommended daily amount of silicon, but it is assumed that an adequate daily intake is 5 to 10 milligrams. In average diet is intaked only 1-1.5 milligrams a day, so it is recommended a higher intake of raw foods containing silicon or silicon supplements. Organ meats are the highest animal source.
Vanadium (found in highest amounts in Radishes, Dills and wheat grains. Other plant sources seem to be inferior to the animal sources)Organs, muscle, fishThe Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for vanadium has not been determined. Liver is the highest animal source.
Cholesterol (Found only in animal foods)All animal foodsBrain (1000%DV) - Highest of all foods, including plants and mushrooms
DHA/EPA (Found only in animal foods)Fish roe, brain, high quality fatsFish roe (2-7 grams), brain (1 gram) - Highest of all foods, including plants and mushrooms
Vitamin FBetter known as essential fatty acids, or EFAs, Vitamin F is composed of two types of fatty acids: linoleic and alpha-linolenic. The body cannot produce EFAs by itself, so you have to get them from food sources where they are known as unsaturated fatty acids or polyunsaturated fatty acids. Fish, high quality fats and meat, brain, fish roe, high quality eggs, high quality bone marrow all contain omega 3-s.Highest amounts in fish roe and brain.
CLAHigh in all meat, dairy and eggsNo Information
CoQ10Found in all foods, high levels in organs. Higher than in plants.No exact information but as I recall the highest levels are found in heart.

This is mainly intended to be used as a reference if you ever need a general idea of any nutrient in animal foods. You can also go to Nutrition Data if you need further detailed information that is not covered here for most nutrients. It and many other sites are also in the Resources section.

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the science or carnivorous section, but decided to post it here, since it is indeed very scientific. Only includes animal foods, and I'm reposting this from another post I made on another forum (not Raw Paleo Diet Forum).

Resources
- Great site if you want detailed information on a lot different foods and their nutrient content
- Most of the data was taken from here
- Vitamin K2
- Vitamin A, polar bear and seal livers #1
- Vitamin A, polar bear and seal livers #2
- Bone composition #1
- Bone composition #2
- Bone composition #3
- Sulphur
- Chromium
- Cobalt
- Germanium
- Molybdenum
- Silicon
- Vanadium
- Vitamin B7, Biotin
- Vitamin B8, Inositol
- Vitamin B10, PABA
- Vitamin B11, PHGA
- Vitamin B13, Orotic Acid
- Vitamin B15, Pangamic Acid
- Vitamin B16, DMG
- Vitamin B14

Offline thehadezb

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Fucking amazing post

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
I was really hoping to see a detailed analysis but that was extremely general and vague.  Better off reading labels but labels are bad too. Why are they allowed to put zero percent of something on the label whenever they don't test for it? That really sucks and is essentially a lie. Who can you trust?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
No idea which this is, but the USDA Nutrient Database also distinguishes between raw and cooked.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
I was really hoping to see a detailed analysis but that was extremely general and vague.  Better off reading labels but labels are bad too. Why are they allowed to put zero percent of something on the label whenever they don't test for it? That really sucks and is essentially a lie. Who can you trust?
Since when do labels show the vitamin/mineral content of food? Labels are practically useless for that. As far as the analysis goes, as I already stated:

"This is mainly intended to be used as a reference if you ever need a general idea of any nutrient in animal foods. You can also go to Nutrition Data if you need further detailed information that is not covered here for most nutrients. It and many other sites are also in the Resources section."

This isn't meant to be a 20 page detailed analysis explaining this and that, if you want something more specific, that can be done separately.

No idea which this is, but the USDA Nutrient Database also distinguishes between raw and cooked.
All of the information here is based on either raw foods or is not specified.

It is to be noted that some vitamins/minerals are heat sensitive, so the cooked versions would look different than the ones posted here, although that shouldn't be a problem for most visiting this forum.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
This is bullshit. How do you explain a 100 gram can of cod liver having zero percent of vitamin A? It's not just cod livers. I see this kind of thing everywhere. How do I know what is the truth?

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 100 grams

Amount Per Serving
Calories 437
Calories from Fat 392

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 44.2g
68%
Saturated Fat 9g
45%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
0%
Sodium 433mg
18%
Potassium 130mg
4%
Total Carbohydrate 2g
1%
Dietary Fiber 0g
0%
Sugars 0g
Protein 9.3g
19%

Vitamin A  0%    •    Vitamin C  0%
Calcium  1%    •    Iron  5%
Thiamin  3%    •    Riboflavin  43%
Vitamin B6  8%    •    Vitamin B12  177%
Niacin  13%    •    Phosphorus  10%
Vitamin D  7%    •    
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Actions
    Log this Food

https://www.fitbit.com/foods/Cod+Liver+Canned/17712

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
This is bullshit. How do you explain a 100 gram can of cod liver having zero percent of vitamin A? It's not just cod livers. I see this kind of thing everywhere. How do I know what is the truth?

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 100 grams

Amount Per Serving
Calories 437
Calories from Fat 392

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 44.2g
68%
Saturated Fat 9g
45%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
0%
Sodium 433mg
18%
Potassium 130mg
4%
Total Carbohydrate 2g
1%
Dietary Fiber 0g
0%
Sugars 0g
Protein 9.3g
19%

Vitamin A  0%    •    Vitamin C  0%
Calcium  1%    •    Iron  5%
Thiamin  3%    •    Riboflavin  43%
Vitamin B6  8%    •    Vitamin B12  177%
Niacin  13%    •    Phosphorus  10%
Vitamin D  7%    •    
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Actions
    Log this Food

https://www.fitbit.com/foods/Cod+Liver+Canned/17712
A lot of sites post misleading information, and I'm afraid that there is no 100% truth. Either way, if you look here: https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/628/2
it shows that cod liver oil has plenty of Vitamin A and D3. Unfortunately the other vitamins/minerals are missing. It's possible that in these cases, they didn't analyze all the vitamins/minerals and decided to set it to 0% instead.

You should also know that Vitamin K2 (only K1) is not labeled in foods, which is why you will not find Vitamin K in animal foods when you look at most sources. Vitamin C is another vitamin which is often considered missing in animal foods despite having a presence even in muscle meat, not to mention the large amounts in organs. And the same goes for some other Vitamins/Minerals as well.

The only way to get an idea of what has what, is to look at many sources to slowly piece together all the vitamins/minerals. I have yet to find a source which would give me information about everything, and I doubt I will in the near future.

And regarding your question about the truth, the goal of posting this here was not just to show the exact amount of everything, but also to emphasize the importance of eating the whole animal, different animals, eggs etc... Every food is good for something, some are also better overall, such as liver, which is full of nutrients. Do your own research, experiment with how different foods affect you etc... and you will slowly become more aware of what has what and what it's important for. There is never going to be any ultimate truth.

And regarding the vitamin/mineral content, it should also be noted that the health of animal, the quality of the food it is eating, the soil, cooking etc.. all have an impact on the vitamin/mineral content, so every animal is going to be different and there is no 100% accurate way to measure that.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Every time I am confronted by Mainstream Daily recommended values for nutritional requirements, my mind congers up the vegetable polices parodies of SV3ridge, where  he goes into the breakdown of the real nutrients they dont tell us about..like goat scrotum factor #4...people dont even know they are deficient in horse utter #7...everybody could definitely benefit from more walrus spleen co-factor #15 

Though there is some strong evidence linking certain vitamin and mineral deficiencies to specific illness, the scientific age with its focus on, parcing out and isolating specific elements, has left many people blind to the holistic nature of whole body nourishment. They are engaged in chronic over complicated thinking and baseless assumptions of what is needed for optimal nutrition...thinking that they can somehow balance an unbalanced diet by simply supplementing synthetic forms of the missing nutrients.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 01:18:32 pm by sabertooth »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline surfsteve

• Chief
    • View Profile
Sometimes I consume more than a pound of raw liver a day. I wonder how much is too much. Especially when I am cautioned not to consume more than a few ounces per week. I wish there were more data available. Yesterday I only ate half a pound.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
eating raw grass finished liver as I write.   I Think that if you eat it piece by piece, alone, not seasoned, your body will tell you how much it wants.

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Every time I am confronted by Mainstream Daily recommended values for nutritional requirements, my mind congers up the vegetable polices parodies of SV3ridge, where  he goes into the breakdown of the real nutrients they dont tell us about..like goat scrotum factor #4...people dont even know they are deficient in horse utter #7...everybody could definitely benefit from more walrus spleen co-factor #15 

Though there is some strong evidence linking certain vitamin and mineral deficiencies to specific illness, the scientific age with its focus on, parcing out and isolating specific elements, has left many people blind to the holistic nature of whole body nourishment. They are engaged in chronic over complicated thinking and baseless assumptions of what is needed for optimal nutrition...thinking that they can somehow balance an unbalanced diet by simply supplementing synthetic forms of the missing nutrients.
Well said.

Sometimes I consume more than a pound of raw liver a day. I wonder how much is too much. Especially when I am cautioned not to consume more than a few ounces per week. I wish there were more data available. Yesterday I only ate half a pound.
I've been eating liver almost every day for years, never had any problems. Just liver, raw, unseasoned, by itself. I think if you are not experiencing any problems and the liver is good, there should be no reason to stop.

If you notice any problems, you can always reduce the amount/stop altogether. Otherwise, what's the point in worrying about it?

The warning about eating too much liver is for vitamin A, which is based of mostly polar bear liver poisoning, which has amounts of Vitamin A far exceeding anything in most animals. And even then, the symptoms in those cases were more consistent with Cadmium and Arsenic poisoning, which is found in high amounts in a lot of Polar Bears. Also none of those explorers died from it, they all recovered. And I have not yet personally heard of a Vitamin A overdose from natural sources (including livers from animals very high in Vitamin A), only from synthetic sources, and even then I'm not sure I've heard of someone that has not been able to recover from it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk