Raw Paleo Diet Forums > General Discussion

Insects Guide for RPD Westerners

(1/3) > >>

a_real_man:
I've decided to write this guide to those folk interested in incorporating some yummy bugs into their diet. No doubt this will rustle some feathers, but I believe bugs are *the* dietary staple of paleo humans (yes, not meat). It's just a hypothesis for now, but I plan on trying to get by on bugs alone at some point and seeing how I fare. In the meantime, I found bugs to be a great supplement to my diet. For those interested in some tips, check out below. For the smart aleks, I'm including all arthropods in the discussion, not just bugs.

Selection of Bugs and Experiences

- Superworms: superworms are actually larvae. They are like mealworms but bigger and more active. It is easy to keep these alive for a long time and create a meal out of these. My personal favorites by far.

- Mealworms: like diet superworms. So cheap.

- Phoenix worms (i.e., black soldier fly maggots): marketed as being calcium rich. I found the taste pretty bland and the maggots themselves pretty dry.

- Maggots: these little buggers will find their way to rotten meat like a homing missile. They taste like what they eat (rotten meat) and are super nasty-looking when high in number. Otherwise, they're just squishy little snacks.

- Wax worms: these adorable little buggers have a really nice and soft texture. They are light on taste, kind of like coconut water. I don't find them very filling.

- Hornworms: pricey. Taste like what they eat (so probably parts of the plant you feed them). They can bite you, which hurts, but probably isn't dangerous.

- Common Crickets: pretty cheap. Taste like a moist nut in their youth. Annoying to keep because they die fast. They also chirp but that can be relaxing.

- Earthworms: moderately priced. I find their gut to taste disgusting. For that reason I bite off the head or tail and toss the rest. That makes it not worth purchasing IMO. The worms themselves don't have a strong taste, but they have the texture of... gummy worms. They do have a suprising sweet aftertaste.

- Ants: small ones aren't really filling. They usually taste acidic. Bigger ants can taste salty and be delicious.

- Wasps: these like to try to steal fresh meat. Slightly crunchy. Bland taste.

- Bees: usually taste like pollen or nectar - nice.

- Butterflies: same as bees.

- Caterpillars: variable. Also requires caution.

- Moths: bland.

- Spiders: bland.

- Roly polys: taste like dirt.

- Silverfish: yummy.

- Beetles: oh my god, so crunchy, so good. My theory is that the human love of crunchy foods is a misdirected need to eat these yummy little buggers.

- Silk worm pupa (nhong): pretty tasty and cheap as shi*. How cheap? For $4 I am able to be stuffed for one and a half meals. Only found these pre-frozen.

I'm not including sea insects because there is no dearth of expertise on lobsters, oysters, crab, etc.

Where to Buy

I get my bugs mainly at https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/

TylerDurden:
It's a possibility, especially if one believes in the very likely scavenger theory of palaeo--HGs where they were supposed to scavenge and eat mainly  maggot-infested aged raw meat. The problem I have is that the current websites I have searched online re Europe have all offered only cooked insects at very high prices. I suppose I could try pet-food stores but I fear they too will offer only precooked versions thereof.

a_real_man:

--- Quote from: TylerDurden on June 12, 2019, 05:14:48 am ---It's a possibility, especially if one believes in the very likely scavenger theory of palaeo--HGs where they were supposed to scavenge and eat mainly  maggot-infested aged raw meat. The problem I have is that the current websites I have searched online re Europe have all offered only cooked insects at very high prices. I suppose I could try pet-food stores but I fear they too will offer only precooked versions thereof.

--- End quote ---

Welcome to visit me (Minnesota)

TylerDurden:
The, ah, distances involved are prohibitive, I'm afraid! Of course, an easy way to start would be to hang some raw meat out in my garden and then feast on the maggots that would result from all the flies laying eggs on it. Pet food stores might be an option. It's just that I still have a horror of eating raw insects.I'll have to start with just eating insect eggs first.

FRANCIS HOWARD BOND:
QUOTE:Re: a_real_man's journal
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 04:44:07 am »
For the last 5 months or so, pretty much all I drank was raw milk. Recently, I felt that my thirst for milk has been quenched. I've stopped drinking milk and now I just hydrate on eggs with a bit of help from fruit. Out of curiosity, I tried drinking a bit of water and was repulsed by it.

I also recently read Instinctotherapy by Burger. So I am giving this a shot.

I've been gradually increasing my arsenal of insects. I eat maggots that find their way into my high meat. I also capture bees, cut out their stingers, and eat them. They taste like nut with nectar. Similar for butterflies. I captured a black beetle and ate it. It was crunchy and delicious. I've been craving more beetles since. So I'm farming mealworms. I caught a big green grasshopper... The taste was so rich..  like the smell of lime, but as a flavor. Also caught rolly pollies but they taste like dust. Crickets also had a plain taste.

Another thing I've noticed is that I'm not at all excited about "fresh" raw meat right now. So I am fermenting whatever I can. I have a cod sitting around on my balcony for a week now. I tried it and was really into it; tastes like smoked fish with a bit of cheese.

REPLY:
You liked the cod left sitting on your balcony for a week.   Have you tried this since October 12, 2017, and do you still like this fish preparation?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version