Author Topic: High Meat Batch Not Working As Previous Batch  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Dingeman

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
High Meat Batch Not Working As Previous Batch
« on: July 07, 2019, 12:01:14 am »
Hey everyone,

I recently made another high meat batch of veal liver after succesfully making one with veal liver before.
However, I already noticed some sort of fungus growing on the walls of the jar which didn't happen before.

The only thing that I can image happened is that the temperature outside (I store my high meat on a balcony) has gotten warmer.
Does this affect high meat in any way according to your experiences?

Let me know.

Offline MeateorMan

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: High Meat Batch Not Working As Previous Batch
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 03:17:24 pm »
When I made high meat with a NY strip steak at first it became completely covered with mold. I had it in my truck in a jar and left the lid off for a week. I ate a bite of the moldy steak it tasted musty and had a powdery texture from the mold fuzz. It had no negative effect on me at all. I put a lid on the jar and aired it out daily for a total of 4 months. After adding the lid the mold disappeared and the bacteria took over. My conclusion is that mold likes dry aged and bacteria like a moist environment. I ate the high steak last night so this has all taken place over the past 4 months in the summer heat. My local grocery store they dry ages prime ribeye and they are covered with mold. I bought a dry aged steak and I asked the butcher to not trim the mold off but he refused and to sell me a moldy untrimmed steak.

Offline MeateorMan

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 03:22:11 pm »
This is the moldy high meat that I took a bite of

Offline MeateorMan

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 04:37:42 pm »
I made a video with moldy high meat that may help you