Author Topic: Fasting  (Read 4086 times)

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Fasting
« on: July 09, 2020, 12:49:43 am »
I am curious how many folks incorporate fasting in their health regimen?

I am on day 4 of a planned 10-day, water-only* fast based on Dr. Jason Fung's protocols in his book The Complete Guide to Fasting. My ghrelin levels (as estimated by the prevalence of hunger pangs) peaked on Day 2, and have declined steadily since. On Days 2 and 3 I ate very small cubes (1/2 inches on a side) of raw pork fat when the hunger pangs got so bad I was having trouble focusing, and that quieted them down. So far today I have not had any hunger pangs at all, and it feels like I should be able to get through the day without eating anything.

*Fung's protocols allow for up to 1 tablespoon of liquid fat in the form of butter, ghee, MCT oil, etc. added to coffee and tea per day (about 100 kilocalories). Since my fat cubes are small (I estimate about 20 kilocalories each) it seems to me that eating them did not violate the protocol so I consider myself to be fasting even though I did eat a tiny bit of solid food.

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
  • Eating the best realistic diet
    • View Profile
Re: Fasting
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 01:41:33 pm »
A long time ago,I fasted based on the writings of Herbert Shelton(old school).Got good results,but it took planning as I did long term fasts.
Now,I do occasional shorter term (3-4 days) fasts.I don't have the time to do long fasts anymore.But I still get benefits from the shorter fasts,as my diet is much better than in was in the past.
I'm a fan of using distilled water as opposed to using concoctions like tea,coffee...etc.
I have experimented with adding a little MCT oil here and there,as well as adding some lemon in my water just for the heck of it.One experiment that was interesting was drinking a few glasses of prune juice after about a week of fasting.Whoa.....I recommend that one.Try it and see for yourself:)

P.s. If any of you disagree with using distilled water,that's fine.But don't bother trying to dissuade me from using it,as I've heard every side of the argument many times already.Thanks.
"Eat the best of what's available and call it a day"

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 10:32:41 pm »
Completely unrelated to fasting, but glanced at the section on new posts and was stunned to see that there have only been 4 new posts on this whole site in the last 10 days. Looks like interest has tapered off a bit.

Offline RawFoodist

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 10:34:52 pm »
Completely unrelated to fasting, but glanced at the section on new posts and was stunned to see that there have only been 4 new posts on this whole site in the last 10 days. Looks like interest has tapered off a bit.

Yeah, this forum is pretty dead. 1000s of members, zero opinions, thoughts, experiences, inputs etc...

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 01:26:13 am »
Yeah, this forum is pretty dead. 1000s of members, zero opinions, thoughts, experiences, inputs etc...
Maybe people have now gravitated toward some of the myriad of new YouTube "gurus" out there? Especially the channels that feature "doctors" with lots of content.And also the channels that feature live chat,interviews....etc...
In addition,it seems some people need some type of "leader" to follow.Be it a "Guru","Doctor",or whatever popular figure of the day.
Lastly,maybe some members have said/heard it all by now :) And perhaps this forum hasn't attracted any new members due to reasons listed above.

Offline jibrael

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 12:35:54 am »

It is so sad.

Actually, Gurus here should open a Facebook Group and  Youtube Channel too (with name of rawpaleodietforum.com)

Our world needs introduction to raw meat diet (or at least some part of their diet should be raw meat/organs), and I don't know how many other Gurus are there whose first preference is to introduce the raw paleo diet.

Offline jibrael

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 12:37:22 am »

P.s. If any of you disagree with using distilled water,that's fine.But don't bother trying to dissuade me from using it,as I've heard every side of the argument many times already.Thanks.

Do you think that reverse osmosis water is also as good as the distilled water?

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 01:32:16 pm »
Do you think that reverse osmosis water is also as good as the distilled water?

Close enough.Distilled is more like rain water so,to me,it seems more "natural".
I remember when I was in the Philippines,the owner of the house had a big open tank on the roof.They were able to catch free good quality water from the sky:)

p.s. You can make an argument that the water would pick up particulates from the air,but whatever,it's hard to find "perfect" water anywhere.

Offline RawFoodist

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 12:29:31 am »
Close enough.Distilled is more like rain water so,to me,it seems more "natural".
I remember when I was in the Philippines,the owner of the house had a big open tank on the roof.They were able to catch free good quality water from the sky:)

p.s. You can make an argument that the water would pick up particulates from the air,but whatever,it's hard to find "perfect" water anywhere.

Do you add anything to distilled water?

Offline kelpguy

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 12:19:09 pm »
Distilled is more like rain water so,to me,it seems more "natural".

the drinking quality of rain water has a lot to do with what's happening upwind from you.  i caught rainwater in a rainy area of panamá in the rainy season (~20ft annualy) and learned a lot.  i'm in the filipines now, the land of 3 stone fires, and i've found it pretty hard to get drinking quality rain water but again... it depends on what's upwind of you.

- it takes a few daily strong rains to get rid of the smoke flavor.
- you could do a sediment test.
- you could also filter the rain water.

there appears to be pros and cons to drinking distilled water but, fwiw, the RBTI folks drink distilled water with lemon juice.

Offline King Salmon

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 05:55:57 pm »

Fasting is more about subtracting than adding.A lot of folks in the health movement seem to always want to add some "secret ingredient" to benefit their health:)
For example,health food store shelves are full of "detox" type of concoctions.None of which are any better than good old fasting IMHO.
With respect to fasting,less is more.But yeah,you can add lemon,as mentioned in my earlier post.
But other than taste,lemon won't be of any more benefit during a fast.Also,as I previously stated,you can experiment with prune juice(one day only-for elimination) after a week or two of fasting.

p.s. There also exists other type of protocols like the 3 day coconut oil "fast" for different purposes..etc...
       But that's another story for another day :)

Offline RawFoodist

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 05:58:58 pm »
Fasting is more about subtracting than adding.A lot of folks in the health movement seem to always want to add some "secret ingredient" to benefit their health:)
For example,health food store shelves are full of "detox" type of concoctions.None of which are any better than good old fasting IMHO.
With respect to fasting,less is more.But yeah,you can add lemon,as mentioned in my earlier post.
But other than taste,lemon won't be of any more benefit during a fast.Also,as I previously stated,you can experiment with prune juice(one day only-for elimination) after a week or two of fasting.

p.s. There also exists other type of protocols like the 3 day coconut oil "fast" for different purposes..etc...
       But that's another story for another day :)

I thought you drink distilled like in general, not just during fasting...

Offline BiologicalNaturalLaw

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 08:59:22 am »
Eric, it is winter here in West Central Wisconsin so I won't be doing any fasting probably for a while but my goal come spring is to do some very extreme fasting 20 days Plus. I did Fast quite a bit while I was a political prisoner over this last year, but they were mostly short 3 or 4 day fasts. My interest in fasting comes from a spiritual or Consciousness perspective. It seems to me that raw carnivore is the way to go for humans in 3D, but I wonder if food itself doesn't weigh us down and I would like to have personal experience with what some of the past Prophets and Saints have undergone so I can understand them better and perhaps have some exceptional experiences myself without the use of entheogens. I am intensely interested though to hear about your experience and feedback and thoughts if you will share them

Obviously this post is dated but I'm bumping it regardless because it's a neat topic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk