Author Topic: Slow Cooker  (Read 7796 times)

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
Slow Cooker
« on: September 24, 2020, 10:13:17 am »
I'm not sure where else to post this since technically it isn't raw, so I figured off-topic was the safest..  But I want to try to make my own bone broths and I'm trying to find the best way to make it without overcooking it!  I also live with my Dad and he said he is not comfortable with me leaving the stove on all night the couple of times I tried making my own bone broth on the stove before.

I've been thinking a slow cooker would probably be the easiest solution since they are made for cooking foods at low temperatures over long periods of time, the main problem is that most of them seem to only have settings for low-medium-high-warm and don't show any sort of actual temperature control.  The reviews on the cheaper ones as well seem to mention that the slow cookers are too hot, boiling and burning the foods when left for hours even on low, and I definitely don't want that to happen!  I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for a slow cooker that has a temperature control that goes low enough to not destroy the broth too much.

I also don't know what's the lowest temperature you can even make bone broth on, even if I could find a good slow cooker that goes down to low enough temps, what's a good temp?  would 100°F or 150°F be too low?  too high?  So far I've mainly just been drinking pre-packaged bone broths, but I'd like to be able to make my own without all the extra ingredients like salt and veggies that are in most bone broths.  So far my idea is just to put raw grass-fed beef marrow bones with raw apple cider vinegar and water into the slow cooker and cook for 24-48 hours on the lowest possible temperature.  I don't know if that's the best way to make it or not lol.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline kelpguy

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Re: Slow Cooker
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 06:52:18 am »
you'll get some broth ideas if you search the group for bone broth and farrier rasp.  if a person wasn't concerned about temperatures, i suggest using a pressure cooker. 

also, i did an online search for pressure cooker beef bone broth and saw suggestions for handling bones.

good luck

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 11:17:56 pm »
I agree with a pressure cooker. You can use an Ninja Instant Pot or something similar and get the same broth in 2 hours.

I've read bad things about contaminants in the ceramic liners in slow cookers. I think it's different heavy metals. Not something you want to add to bone broth you're using to rebuild health.

Be careful if you have any issues with histamines or oxalates. Slow cooked bone broths are high histamine (pressure cooking helps cut this way down). If you have issues with oxalate the glycine in bone broths can add to oxalate load in the body. Overall bone broth is super healthy but contraindicated for some people.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 05:04:51 pm »
I have a slow cooker,  it only says low or high or warm.
Pretty low tech stuff, but hey it works for bone broths.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 11:45:28 pm »
I agree with a pressure cooker. You can use an Ninja Instant Pot or something similar and get the same broth in 2 hours.

I've read bad things about contaminants in the ceramic liners in slow cookers. I think it's different heavy metals. Not something you want to add to bone broth you're using to rebuild health.

Be careful if you have any issues with histamines or oxalates. Slow cooked bone broths are high histamine (pressure cooking helps cut this way down). If you have issues with oxalate the glycine in bone broths can add to oxalate load in the body. Overall bone broth is super healthy but contraindicated for some people.

I don't know if I have issues with histamines or oxalates.  All I know is that no matter what I eat, I constantly break out in acne.  I tried to do a 2 week long bone broth fast (I didn't even make it a full week) as an elimination diet type of thing.  During the time I had nothing but bone broth, even though it was a processed bone broth, I had no break outs for the first time in my life.  I couldn't keep it up though because I wasn't getting enough calories and feel super weak and tired all the time.  I tried doing just bone broth + raw milk, with a blue rare seared steak every so often, so I could get enough calories, and then coffee.  But once my cycle came up again (pms with really really bad cramps as well) I broke out horribly bad.  With cystic acne which I haven't gotten in a long time.  I'm still drinking tons of bone broth and trying to limit what I eat but I'm feeling like crap, weak and shakey.  One good thing since I started drinking tons of bone broth though, is my nails seem a lot stronger and don't break as easily.  I like that a lot since I like to grow my nails out long, but they always break all the time. 

I've tried eliminating so many things yet I still break out all the time.  I did fully raw paleo, which helped the most, since I started it from a SAD diet, but I still broke out.  I tried the WAI diet(twice), which was fully raw as well, and it helped a lot but still never fully healed.  I tried eliminating dairy from my diet, still broke out.  I tried eliminating plants from my diet, still break out.  I'm mostly carnivore right now, eating mainly bone broth, egg yolks, raw milk, raw cheese, raw butter.  Still breaking out.  When I eat steak, which is only a few times a week right now, I season with garlic and pepper, and lightly sear it because I don't like cold meat.  I used to sear it in butter, tried not searing it in butter(or anything), still break out.  Right now I'm trying to go a week without any sugar, besides the sugars in raw milk (+cheese and butter), to see if that will help.  Limiting my dairy carbs to keto levels.  I'm still breaking out, 6 days in.  I'm on day 4 with no steak, in case it's the garlic/pepper/searing that's the problem, still breaking out.  I miss my coffee with sugar.  I'm tired all the time.  I hate this.  I wish I could just be a normal human being and eat normal food without having all these problems.  I don't even need junk food, I just wanna eat steak and eggs every day with some raw milk to drink.  Coffee with sugar every so often.  Maybe a burger bowl once in a while, with raw onions on top.  I miss fruit.  I don't need veggies or grains, never liked them, don't eat them.  I want some sushi, too.  Sashimi actually, I don't need the rice, just give me some raw salmon and tuna.  I'm tired of all of this, I'm about ready to just give up on life and live with being ugly and in constant pain and depressed because I look more like a spotted fricken hyena than a human being.  cause oh yeah I got tons of spotted hyper pigmentation acne? scars all over my body as well.  maybe haha, maybe going vegan would actually be the thing to cure me.  that would be the one thing I still have never eliminated yet, is animal foods.  Might as well be fruitarian then though, because I hate veggies and grains. 

Anyways, long story short, I wanted to try a bone broth elimination diet but the bone broths in the stores are all high in protein and low in fat and low in calories, plus have a bunch of random veggies mixed in, so I wanna make my own bone broth with only raw marrow bones that still have the marrow in them, so I can get all the good fats and stuff from the marrow and get more calories as well, plus some raw apple cider vinegar as an acid to help break down the bones.  But I don't wanna overcook it so I just wanted suggestion on a slow cooker that actually has a low enough temperature of like 100 or 150 degrees (F) that isn't too expensive, cause all the cheap ones I looked at only had settings of "low, medium, high, warm" and don't actually say a temperature on them.
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 06:51:02 am »
I found the Instant Pot Duo seems to have a yogurt warmer setting that can range from 86 to 109.4° F which sounds good to me, but it's $80.

Offline dair

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 07:50:30 pm »
Most slow cooker leach some sort of (heavy) metals and/or nickel etc... If I make a broth, I use glas cooking pots or ceramic (corningsware types). Heavy and not cheap, but you can be sure it will not leach.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk