Author Topic: Vitamin D  (Read 5992 times)

Offline Timatu

• Forager
    • View Profile
Vitamin D
« on: November 02, 2020, 12:05:36 pm »
Hi All :)

I was wondering how the ones of you living in colder climates manage to get your vitamin D in? Also, what would you say is the importance of it when you have a severe deficiency? I feel like and have always felt that taking isolated Vitamins is not a good idea for the body, which is why I don’t myself take any. I used to live in a very hot climate and would tan 1-2 hours a day and I feel that the amount of Vitamin D my body made then could never be compared to the amount I may be able to get though food and raw CLO. Would you say for someone with an extreme Vit D defiency along with many health problems living in a sunny country and getting plenty of Vitamin D but eating a sub optimal diet is better than having a very optimal diet but no sunlight and less vitamin D from diet? I calculated the amount I am currently getting from food and it’s 2233-2965 IU (with raw CLO).  Also, do you think it’s possible for the body to create Vitamin D in London during the winter?

Thank you all!

Offline smokeyquartz

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Vitamin D
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 09:34:41 pm »
I can't really give you advice, as I'm still on a healing path, but I can give a different perspective.  I have basically all European ancestry. I've had vitamin D deficiency twice, confirmed by bloodwork.  Despite being put on high, therapeutic doses of vitamin D, I did not feel any significant difference. I've also taken vitamin D3 supplements on my own and never felt any difference.

Given my ancestry, I am wondering if the "optimal" vitamin D range is even valid for me. Obviously my European ancestors would not risk frostbite and hypothermia in order to sit around naked in the snowy winters so that they can catch what little bit of sun may peak through the dark grey winter clouds.

So, whatever you can get through food is probably ok. I would consider what kind of climate your ancestors lived in and how they may have gotten vitamin D. Of course, humans do evolve with their environment, so if you live in a very sunny climate it may be better to get sun (animals in sunny climates may not have as much fat stores and thus less vitamin D).

Offline smokeyquartz

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 09:39:13 pm »
The CLO should be good. Londoners didn't get vitamin D from sun, so yes, get it from food.  Go by how you feel.

Offline Bradley David Good

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 09:13:11 pm »
Vitamin D supplements are not the same substance as Vitamin D in animal products.  I don't take any supplements and don't believe that they are helpful, probably toxic if anything.

I get into the sun as much as I can, even if it is a few minutes at a time on the face and in the eyes, and find a warm spot up against a big wall in the sun.  Remove my shirt if possible even for a few minutes. 

I also eat raw animal products like milk, butter, cheese, meats.  D is in there.  I feel fine in the winter now and used to suffer from it.

Offline norawnofun

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 04:32:34 am »
trash the CLO nonesense. This rancid shit can get you in serious trouble, if you take it for too long.

Offline Bradley David Good

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 02:07:04 am »
I agree on the CLO or any other supplement.

Animal products have D and the "fat activators" in the animal products allow much greater uptake.

Offline Timatu

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 02:16:29 pm »
I can't really give you advice, as I'm still on a healing path, but I can give a different perspective.  I have basically all European ancestry. I've had vitamin D deficiency twice, confirmed by bloodwork.  Despite being put on high, therapeutic doses of vitamin D, I did not feel any significant difference. I've also taken vitamin D3 supplements on my own and never felt any difference.

Given my ancestry, I am wondering if the "optimal" vitamin D range is even valid for me. Obviously my European ancestors would not risk frostbite and hypothermia in order to sit around naked in the snowy winters so that they can catch what little bit of sun may peak through the dark grey winter clouds.

So, whatever you can get through food is probably ok. I would consider what kind of climate your ancestors lived in and how they may have gotten vitamin D. Of course, humans do evolve with their environment, so if you live in a very sunny climate it may be better to get sun (animals in sunny climates may not have as much fat stores and thus less vitamin D).

Very interesting way of looking at it
ancestrally i should be getting plenty of sun though... however I agree that the "optimal levels" may not be necessary to meet.. it's too broad for the entire population

I guess i will just go by how I feel, and honestly I have way more energy eating this way even with less sun than I had tanning daily but eating sub-optimally.

Offline Timatu

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 02:19:25 pm »
The CLO should be good. Londoners didn't get vitamin D from sun, so yes, get it from food.  Go by how you feel.

I do get lots of energy from it, however lots say it's bad for u etc.....
maybe I'll reduce how much I'm taking, but can't help but think that getting some vitamin D from a natural source is better than none

Offline Timatu

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 02:27:59 pm »
Vitamin D supplements are not the same substance as Vitamin D in animal products.  I don't take any supplements and don't believe that they are helpful, probably toxic if anything.

I get into the sun as much as I can, even if it is a few minutes at a time on the face and in the eyes, and find a warm spot up against a big wall in the sun.  Remove my shirt if possible even for a few minutes. 

I also eat raw animal products like milk, butter, cheese, meats.  D is in there.  I feel fine in the winter now and used to suffer from it.

Yes, I do the same whenever I find some sun :)
Good to know that u feel good despite the low amount of Vitamin D from these foods (compared to the sun). Perhaps I'm overstressing over getting enough, and the amounts from diet are good

Offline Timatu

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 04:28:40 pm »
trash the CLO nonesense. This rancid shit can get you in serious trouble, if you take it for too long.

Would u say low D is better than taking it?
I know historically, it has been used medicinally and to cure rickets and other diseases ... so. maybe there are benefits?
I know that 99% are rancid, but the one I am taking doesn't taste fishy. it's oil in a bottle, not capsules, and it says cold-pressed raw and wild ... Rosita brand
better to quit it?

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 04:08:25 am »
Would u say low D is better than taking it?
I know historically, it has been used medicinally and to cure rickets and other diseases ... so. maybe there are benefits?
I know that 99% are rancid, but the one I am taking doesn't taste fishy. it's oil in a bottle, not capsules, and it says cold-pressed raw and wild ... Rosita brand
better to quit it?

I've felt very good when I took Rosita. I'm ordering another bottle with the intent to make sure my Vitamin D is good. Back in the day I felt fantastic using a fermented cod liver oil and then they started tasting wrong to me. I had to stop it. If you listen to your body in an Instincto manner it will help you make the right choices after highly addictive substances like refined sugar are removed.

Here is an interesting video I came across recently which speaks strongly to having enough vitamin D, preferably from sunlight (which is not always practical), as well as sufficient B vitamins and deep sleep. It's all intertwined with gut health. It's about 90 minutes but makes some great points and is changing my approach right now as far as my current health recovery.

https://youtu.be/74F22bjBmqE

As far as foods you can use oily fish, liver, or quality egg yolks.
You need to make sure you get enough of the co-factors. Vitamin K. Calcium. Zinc. Magnesium. Boron. Vitamin A.

It's possible if you are low in the co-factors your body would have high circulating calcium and the body would reduce production of vitamin D to protect itself. I'd start with looking at vitamin K intake and move on from there. You may find you need to consider some greens if you are eating omnivorous. I'd caution against high oxalate greens like spinach and kale. See how you do with things like collards, turnip greens, or mustard greens.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 04:20:04 am by djr_81 »
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Timatu

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 07:11:12 am »
I've felt very good when I took Rosita. I'm ordering another bottle with the intent to make sure my Vitamin D is good. Back in the day I felt fantastic using a fermented cod liver oil and then they started tasting wrong to me. I had to stop it. If you listen to your body in an Instincto manner it will help you make the right choices after highly addictive substances like refined sugar are removed.

Here is an interesting video I came across recently which speaks strongly to having enough vitamin D, preferably from sunlight (which is not always practical), as well as sufficient B vitamins and deep sleep. It's all intertwined with gut health. It's about 90 minutes but makes some great points and is changing my approach right now as far as my current health recovery.

https://youtu.be/74F22bjBmqE

As far as foods you can use oily fish, liver, or quality egg yolks.
You need to make sure you get enough of the co-factors. Vitamin K. Calcium. Zinc. Magnesium. Boron. Vitamin A.

It's possible if you are low in the co-factors your body would have high circulating calcium and the body would reduce production of vitamin D to protect itself. I'd start with looking at vitamin K intake and move on from there. You may find you need to consider some greens if you are eating omnivorous. I'd caution against high oxalate greens like spinach and kale. See how you do with things like collards, turnip greens, or mustard greens.

I would agree that it's better to take it, imo, if ur deficient unless ur body is strongly telling u not to. I do well on Rosita too and it genuinely gives me energy.

and yes I think that's what it is, Vit K, calcium and magnesium
I'm actually quite worried for vitamin A since I eat liver, and I have read that can compete/reduce the vitamin D further? And that Vitamin D should be higher than A, but that's literally impossible to do unless I stop eating liver (I eat very little of it anyway... but love it)

I don't seem to do well on raw veg or even veg juice.... just so allergenic to me, even just the smell x_x
I eat lots of seafood however for Mg, and peeled cucumbers also

Thanks for the video, very interesting

Offline Qondrar_The_Redeemer

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 03:31:33 am »
Most foods, including animal foods don't have that much Vitamin D in them compared to the sun. High amounts of fish might be enough, or eating raw fish liver (not to be confused with processed cod liver oil). Raw fish liver is probably the most nutrient dense food on the planet overall (with liver from land animals being second), as it has mostly the same or higher vitamin/mineral levels as livers from land animals, along with very high Vitamin D and Omega 3s.

Regarding Vitamin K2, that is already present in high amounts in any liver. Best source of calcium is bone marrow or bones themselves. Mollusks have a very high magnesium content if you want more of that.

Just to give you an example, raw Tuna liver had 130000 IU of Vitamin D3 per 100 grams. Source for Vitamin D3 in animal foods: https://vitamindwiki.com/Vitamin+D+from+animal+products+-+July+2013

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 07:15:04 am »
Found information about the nutrients in actual Cod Liver (not the oil). https://www.checkyourfood.com/ingredients/ingredient/3531/cod-liver-canned

It has an even higher amounts of nutrients than I expected, with a massive amount of DHA/EPA, D3, A, K2, and even Vitamin E and Iodine. And a reminder that most of these are the highest out of any food I've seen.

Offline Sol^Sa

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 04:58:58 am »
Usually most supplements are a hoax. Most people do not even absorb that stuff it just comes out the other end in urine or faeces. You don't need to supplement vitamin d afaik many reasons, mentioned one already. People might indeed feel good or imagine it. But it might also be simple a stimulant. It doesn't solve anything but gives you a short high I'd guess.

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2020, 06:59:59 am »
Usually most supplements are a hoax. Most people do not even absorb that stuff it just comes out the other end in urine or faeces. You don't need to supplement vitamin d afaik many reasons, mentioned one already. People might indeed feel good or imagine it. But it might also be simple a stimulant. It doesn't solve anything but gives you a short high I'd guess.
I've seen certain people benefit from certain supplements in the past. I do think that with very specific health conditions, supplements may sometimes be necessary. And while I do encourage everyone to get all of their vitamins and minerals from food, if you had absolutely no access to the proper food your body requires for whatever reason, a supplement can be a thing to consider.

First thing I would recommend to anyone considering vitamin/mineral supplementation is raw liver and raw fish liver, along with other seafood. As many other organs as possible is a good idea as well, for certain vitamins/minerals/enzymes etc... And if eating that doesn't work, then you should consider the alternatives for your own specific problem.

Offline Sol^Sa

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2020, 08:54:21 pm »
I don't disagree. For short-term intervention some mineral supplements could be helpful. But what we really need is nutrient-rich food and regenerative food production. I try to eat wild-caught as much as I can.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2020, 12:17:04 pm »
I don't disagree. For short-term intervention some mineral supplements could be helpful. But what we really need is nutrient-rich food and regenerative food production. I try to eat wild-caught as much as I can.

I’ve seen some incredible improvements that people have achieved with the right supplementation at the right time. I think the most important item you touch on is regenerative food production. So much nowadays is depletionary practices and that mineral depletion in our foods is driving so many modern illnesses. In particular is the sequestering of manganese by glyphosate. The ramifications of this on downstream processes is so critical it upends the whole organism. Vitamin B2 in particular MUST be in place for proper utilization of the other Bs and is completely dependent on manganese. The one two of B2 deficiency to B1 deficiency cripples the whole organism.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Sol^Sa

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2020, 03:08:44 am »
I’ve seen some incredible improvements that people have achieved with the right supplementation at the right time. I think the most important item you touch on is regenerative food production. So much nowadays is depletionary practices and that mineral depletion in our foods is driving so many modern illnesses. In particular is the sequestering of manganese by glyphosate. The ramifications of this on downstream processes is so critical it upends the whole organism. Vitamin B2 in particular MUST be in place for proper utilization of the other Bs and is completely dependent on manganese. The one two of B2 deficiency to B1 deficiency cripples the whole organism.

Exactly. I don't know if it's gonna change. The only path I see is to let people suffer and to understand it themselves or seek truth. Not only those. Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Zinc, Copper etc. are lacking or depleted.

Offline Cesarrr

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2021, 08:25:32 am »
a lot of amazing info
thanks everyone here :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk