Author Topic: Fermented Vegetables  (Read 9277 times)

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
Fermented Vegetables
« on: January 31, 2011, 12:12:21 pm »
Is there any place for fermented vegetables on a raw paleo diet? If one is to eat vegetables, it makes more sense to me that one provides their body with predigested foods and beneficial microflora.

let me know your thoughts.

Offline kurite

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Fermented Vegetables
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 12:34:54 pm »
It seems that every culture on earth that knew how to culture foods, would culture their food. I know that doesn't make it healthy and it may not be exactly paleo but I think its healthy to do.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 12:42:27 pm »
Has a place in my diet, although not particularly large. Fermenting can be better than just eating many raw vegetables, and probably superior to cooked when applicable. Many people choose for whatever reasons not to eat many vegetables, hence not alot of fermented vegetables. Fermented foods of any kind are usually looked down upon by alot of the natural hygiene camps..so that filters into alot of peoples concepts of raw even in paleo. Since it is processing, odds are the most ancient ancestors didn't eat much fermented non fruit bearing plants, but then again they didn't have issues with gut flora or added nutrition. What kinds of things do you ferment?

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 09:30:42 pm »
Mainly sauerkraut, but I have on occasion, fermented red bell peppers, carrots, and beet kvass.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 11:48:54 pm »
I've eaten sauerkraut, though I guess it's not exactly rawpalaeo. It makes my stools far too large, though.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 03:03:00 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline laterade

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 02:34:58 am »
Sometimes I eat cooked veggies, then I eat fermented foods like sour kraut and kim chee.
I am a hyperactive person who benefits from eating some cooked starches.
Last night I made one gallon of pink sour kraut, five heads of lettuce, 2purple 3green.  :D

Offline PaganGoy

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 12:15:39 pm »
Could it be possible to eat fermented vegetables like pickles aged in a jar without salt and just water using the same science as high meat? (Airing it etc)

Offline dair

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 08:24:17 pm »
Be careful of histamine... is in all fermented foods, veg, fruits, meat, alcohol, vinegar, Kombucha...
Many people in the health food movement are a bit obsessed by fermentation, but also many develop after some time problems related to histamine intolerance. Histamine is a neurotransmitter, important for brain, braking down food, connected with the sleep rhythm. I got hyper, unfocused, sleeping disorders etc, so don't over do it.
Ah, yes, forgot to say: cheese is really bad if you this sensitivity (and all other fermented dairy products). Which makes it hard to consume dairy, as many people cannot tolerate milk.
It's not necessary to go totally histamine-free if you have this problem (kind of hard actually), because we actually really nead it...

Offline dair

• Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline dair

• Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline AdamDilFRIVA

• Forager
    • View Profile
Fermented Vegetables
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 10:33:23 pm »
Hi, How do you feed Vegetables to your Alexandrine parrot - do you give whole veges, or cut them into small pieces ...?

Offline Christine

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 06:01:08 am »
Hm, interesting thread. Reminds me of a brief foray into fermenting a number of years ago. I read about the perceived benefits of fermented veggies and gave it a go. If I recall, I used this process: I chopped a few cups of kale, cabbage and carrots into bite size pieces. Then, blended about 1 cup in a blender, mixed it back in with the rest. Placed in a quart jar, packed firmly and placed some loosely rolled cabbage leaves in the last inch of the jar (to allow for expansion.) I capped it, placed in the fridge and opened the container briefly every couple of days. After a few days, when the mixture started to fizz, I began tasting it. I remember thinking it was kind of gross and fun at the same time  ;) Developed a taste for it within a couple days, but ultimately threw about half of it out because it got a little too funky for me after a week. Fun experiment though, and one I may revisit although veggies make up a minscule portion of my diet at the moment (majority animal products, not raw yet, though).

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 02:24:02 pm »
Anything more than a minuscule amount of fermented vegtables seems to interfer with optimal meat digestion for myself.

I've been snacking on Fermented Black Garlic recently , its like a paleo candy, and I seem to tolerate it well.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Christine

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 05:42:16 am »
Anything more than a minuscule amount of fermented vegtables seems to interfer with optimal meat digestion for myself.

I've been snacking on Fermented Black Garlic recently , its like a paleo candy, and I seem to tolerate it well.

Sabertooth, I appreciate your sharing your experience. I’m working on transitioning from a cooked animal based diet into a RVAF lifestyle. I’ll hold off on the fermented veggies while introducing rarer and eventually raw meat. As an aside, fermented black garlic sounds yummy! Do you eat the fermented black garlic in combination with meat, or separately?

I read in the newbie thread that, during transition, cooked and raw foods should not be eaten together. I know that is obvious to those already on a fully raw diet :D but it stands to reason that it’s valuable to be aware of other food combos that cause issues for others when eaten together. Raw meat and fruit combined seems to be another one that is problematic for quite a few.

The concept of consuming raw meat is novel to me (although attractive) so I appreciate all the archived and current info shared by members here.

Edit: a word

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 11:43:33 am »
Fermented black garlic is worth a try, I will eat a couple of pieces through the day as a snack. I have eaten it with and without meat, and it didnt seem to be a problem.
https://eraoflight.com/2018/12/18/black-garlic-fermented-superfood-has-greater-health-benefits-than-white-garlic-and-tastes-amazing/#:~:text=Like%20white%20garlic%2C%20regular%20consumption%20of%20black%20garlic,others%20who%20use%20it%20as%20a%20healing%20substance.

You should be concerned about food combination issues arising during the transition. Mixing cooked and raw gave me issues, so very quickly into the transition I went totally raw. Fruits and other fibrous or starchy plant foods have also not mixed well with Raw meat. I can tolerate some foods like coconut, avocados, salad greens...usually eating any plant foods a couple hours before a meal of primarily raw fatty meat.

The best way to jump start transitioning would be a good 2 to 3 day fast, followed by a day of eating fatty meats. See how it suits you then make adjustments according to how your gut feels. When you reintroduce plant foods, do it one food at a time, so that if any one food gives you issues when combined with raw meat, it is much easier to detect and eliminate.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk