Author Topic: Trouble digesting raw butter  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Conor

• Forager
    • View Profile
Trouble digesting raw butter
« on: April 02, 2022, 04:31:35 pm »
I can digest raw eggs, raw meat, raw milk if at room temperature and sipped, raw cream but raw butter and coconut oil (which I very rarely eat) makes me feel sick. I can eat more raw butter than coconut oil without digestive issues if I combine it with raw meat. If I don't eat the butter with meat I will feel sick. I read online of people consuming up to 500g of raw butter a day and I believe aajonus could consume up to 900 grams of raw butter in a day yet I struggle to consume 50-100g without wanting to throw up and feeling absolutely terrible.

Does anyone have experiences with difficulty digesting raw butter? Thanks.

Offline MarkR

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble digesting raw butter
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 04:13:01 pm »
Are you sure the butter is clean and raw? Does the labelling say it is raw? If it doesn't it most likely is not raw. Throwing up sounds to me like the butter is not ok.

Could be a detox trigger, but you could also just eat less and try to slowly build up. Or switch to another fat source and try again later. You mention it goes ok when you combine it with meat, so that is also an option to eat it. Or make it into a drink with eggs and honey, maybe that will help the digestion as well. I think pineapple also helps well with digestion of fats, so that might be an option.

Offline Conor

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 05:50:33 am »
Thanks for replying. It doesn't say raw on the packaging but the farmer says its raw and sells other raw dairy products so I would be inclined to say it is. I only throw up if I eat a lot. Coconut oil is more nasty for me and I feel sick with a small amount.

Going to try pineapple tomorrow, will update how it goes. Thanks.

Offline tonyvee

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 03:58:05 pm »
Coconut oil is more nasty for me and I feel sick with a small amount.

Well, what is the deal with coconut oil, why consume it ?

Offline Conor

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 05:28:08 pm »
I only consume it if there is no raw butter but it doesn't agree with me so I won't in the future.

Pineapple seems to make the butter digest without any pain but I feel constipated the next day. But it 100% helped.

Offline tonyvee

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 08:58:51 pm »
Pineapple seems to make the butter digest without any pain but I feel constipated the next day. But it 100% helped.

Hmm, in my experience, neither butter, nor pineapple are condusive to constipation.

What else do you eat in a day ?

Offline MarkR

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 04:09:32 pm »
I also have no issue with constipation and butter/pineapple. If anything, last month i have been increasing my butter amount (to 200 gr daily) and my bowel movements are more stable now.
Good to hear that the pineapple is helping. Are you also eating the hard core of the pineapple? Maybe that is too much fibre for you? I always cut it out, but my girlfriend finds it normal to eat it.

Constipation is usually too much fibre or too little fat.

Offline Conor

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 05:48:52 am »
Hmm, in my experience, neither butter, nor pineapple are condusive to constipation.

What else do you eat in a day ?
I also have no issue with constipation and butter/pineapple. If anything, last month i have been increasing my butter amount (to 200 gr daily) and my bowel movements are more stable now.
Good to hear that the pineapple is helping. Are you also eating the hard core of the pineapple? Maybe that is too much fibre for you? I always cut it out, but my girlfriend finds it normal to eat it.

Constipation is usually too much fibre or too little fat.
The only other things I am eating are eggs, milk and meat. I think I have just developed an intolerance to raw butter for some reason. I don't think its "constipation", I was wrong about that. The pineapple helps digest it but its still annoying to consume the butter. Thankfully raw cream doesn't seem to have the same effects especially if sour so I will switch to that. Thanks for replying.

Offline Conor

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2022, 08:19:17 pm »
Just to update this thread it seems only aged/fermented butter has this effect on me. If its fresh it digests fine. If anyone has this problem with butter then consider keeping it in the fridge and consuming it quickly instead of being like me and keeping it in your room.

Offline Conor

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 10:44:47 pm »
https://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/index.php?topic=13872.msg150715#new

Found the solution. Basically the paper the butter was wrapped in contained chemicals. Storing it in something else helped remedy this. Hope I helped anyone with the same problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk