Raw Paleo Diet to Suit You > Omnivorous Raw Paleo Diet

Camping Raw

(1/1)

smokeyquartz:
I did a search and didn't find anything on the forum.  Are there any tips on how to eat raw while camping? 

I can use a cooler with ice but ice melts pretty quickly in summer and it turns into a sloshy mess.

I was thinking of maybe air drying some meat like I've read about others on here doing.  But I need tips for that, too.  The last time I tried drying meat it just became hard, dry, and tasteless, like cardboard.  It didn't have any of the aged tastiness that many here seem to relish. 

Thanks in advance.

gomomo:
For a good jerky recipe look up 'lexrooker' on this forum. He shows how to make dried meats (although I now use the wire shelf in the oven and put it on 'low' with the door cracked open with a wooden spoon.

If I was going camping and knew I would be eating the meat soon-ish I may try drying it out 80% rather than 100%. It will still have some microbial activity so wont 'keep' for weeks, and will continue to age a little, just slowly.

Aajonus suggested placing meat in oil i think as an idea for storage, but I never tried that and would have to look it up (storage long term without oxygen for food is potentially dangerous).

Jerky can be rehydrated with a little water.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version