Author Topic: No money..  (Read 10230 times)

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: No money..
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 08:10:08 pm »
There is an art of writing your achievements in a resume. The general idea is to search your life for what you have accomplished that benefited another person. Get it? There are plenty of tutorials on the internet on how to write a resume that helps you sell yourself to an employer, but you first must sell yourself to yourself.

Here's an example: as a pizza delivery driver, were you on time? were your customers happy to see you because you were upbeat and friendly? did you get the deliveries right a huge percentage of the time?

There is a trick to using those employment centers: you will get out of it what you put into it. It's easy to get down when you are looking and looking for work. Employers don't hire "down" people, and they can tell. Find out how you can lift yourself up by doing things like smiling and lifting other people up.

What wonderful advice! :D

Even if it is a short resume that looks professional, neat and like you put in some effort - even if there are only two menial jobs - put in a light like Eve suggested - that you could attach to the standard applications - it could make you look better than the herd - make you stand out as someone who takes extra effort.

A million years ago when I was a fledgling and just worked at a supermarket when I was 16, did babysitting, took care of the neighbor's dog - I still put it down in a nice resume in order to try to get a job selling shoes.

I put down my hobbies, what I had studied in my classes in high school - anything at all that I could think might make them see me as responsible, intelligent and more interesting than the other applicants. It at least showed that I could think clearly, read and write, type, use words well and had an appreciation for things of quality since I used good paper. It also showed that I had patience enough to put it all together and the courage to present it.

It makes me think of the book Siddhartha by Herman Hesse when he was asked what his skills were. In the novel he said he can can think, he could wait and he could fast - that's it - and then described the great value in these skills. I bet I can find it for you - it's truly precious! That part of that book gave me confidence when I thought I had very little to offer.

Here it is!
http://www.online-literature.com/hesse/siddhartha/6/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk