Author Topic: PaleoPhil's Journal  (Read 338716 times)

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: PaleoPhil's Journal
« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2010, 10:11:31 am »
Phil,  you might try various forms of sit up and abdominal exercises.  They work for me.  Also shoulder stand with rapid breath of fire breathing really massages your stomach. As well as any yoga postures that stretch and strengthen abdominal area.   Also trampolining works well for me.  Water should be throughout the day.  Have read where if you need water and don't drink it, the moisture will then be obtained from intestines.  And then there's deep abdominal massage, looking or feeling for hardness of tissues, tendons, muscles etc. that can be energy or peristaltic inhibitors.  Exercise till inducing deep breathing, and belly breathing throughout the day helps.  You might try eating a few leaves of cabbage or spinach at various times in the day.  I like the white parts of lemons for soft bulky fiber, with little carbs and lots of bioflavinoids. 

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 06, 2010, 10:27:32 am »
It took Ioanna 2 months of nothing but raw bison and water to clear up her IBS? It took just one cooked chicken breast to send her back to square one. To be honest I've been in denial about my own IBS and how sensitive I really am.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 07, 2010, 07:52:09 pm »
One possible contributor to my constipation issues is that my abdominal muscles are still partly disengaged because of my remaining spinal curvature. I think this also partly accounts for my lack of defined abdominal muscles, whereas I've seen other people effortlessly develop them through diet alone. I try to remember to manually engage my abs when walking, running or doing calesthenics, and it also helps to promote proper alignment. On the bright side, I can do a lot more crunches and sit ups than I used to be able to. When I was a kid I couldn’t even do ten sit ups to get my Webelos’ physical fitness award (or whatever it was called), so I basically cheated and kept my legs straight to make it easier. That was still considered an OK situp by some people back then (though I knew better), so I got away with it. One kid complained that I should be disqualified, though. ;D

I don't think I would call what I have IBS any more (I used to have IBS-C with D). It’s more straight constipation now, and with less other side effects (no reactive diarrhea, mucus, cramping, nausea, headaches, etc.). The biggest bummer is it resolved nearly completely without any treatment other than diet for a few weeks for the first time in probably decades, then the constipation gradually kicked in again when the fecal volume declined. I think the volume is too little to trigger my colon's smooth muscle tissue, which is probably still lax from past damage from consuming glutenous wheat and other damaging foods.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 07, 2010, 09:18:37 pm »
Heavy squats and deadlifts are going to strengthen your core in a more functional manner than crunches or sit-ups or whatever ab exercise ever will.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 08, 2010, 01:20:12 am »
another volume producer is psylillium husks or flax.  Both I have soaked in water first.  The flax to get rid of hopefully most of the anti-nutrients, the psyl. to prevent it from soaking up the juices in my stomach etc.  It shouldn't take much, maybe a teaspoon once or twice a day.    Oh, with the flax, I always chewed it to the point of dissolvement, or blended it.  One can soak and sproat them, and lay them out to dry, which then is much easier to chew until liquid.    But this was years ago. 

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 08, 2010, 03:21:03 am »
Psyllium husk and fiber like that makes me constipated like nuts.

If you have constipation issues then it's usually because you are over eating. You need to wait until you are very hungry until you eat and then only eat till you're not hungry any more.

On raw paleo you don't need as much food as before to get the nutrients and energy you need. When I have most energy is when I am careful not to over eat.
Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 08, 2010, 04:13:08 am »
Heavy squats and deadlifts are going to strengthen your core in a more functional manner than crunches or sit-ups or whatever ab exercise ever will.
Sure, I don't have room for weights in my apt. or money for a gym membership, but I make do, in part based on the advice given here, and do single-leg squats, frog squats and standard squats. I also sometimes squat-sit when sitting down and always when doing a BM, as it is a natural and beneficial human movement that should be incorporated into everyday practice, not just in special exercise times. I also do other ab exercises that have been demonstrated to be highly effective in exercising the abdominals, like the bicycle crunch and vertical crunch (http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/qt/Bicycle_Crunch.htm). I actually find the U-sit to be the most effective exercise in stimulating my bowels. It's strange that I can now do hundreds of regular crunches, whereas ten or twenty used to be a struggle, yet my ab muscles don't look substantially larger. My grandfather was like this. Up until his seventies he was as strong as iron, yet very thin and spindly looking.

What really amazed me was that some folks at the ZIOH forum developed muscular, defined abs through diet alone. I suspect some of them may already have had them underneath the fat and just had to lose weight to reveal them. Plus, some people may respond very well to the increased meat and/or dairy hormones and low level of antinutrients in the ZC diet.

another volume producer is psylillium husks or flax.
Thanks, but I tested those two things probably more extensively than 99% of the people on the planet with little to no benefit and they seemed to exacerbate my problems in the longer run. Between the two, the most effective thing to promote movement for me was to just eat plain flax seeds, perhaps because they irritated the colon. After a while, that was no longer very effective. Check out the video "Fiber Menace" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz53dawDtJ8) for why they're both harmful. I do find flaxseed oil to be effective on the skin and muscles (I witnessed it literally make my fathers red, inflamed muscle pull literally disappear before my eyes as he wiped it on--I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it), but I no longer ingest any flax products. After I got tired of several people insisting I was not taking enough flaxseed oil, seeds or meal I drank a whole 16 ounce glass of it, plus ate a bunch of soaked flaxseeds and flaxseed meal to settle it once and for all. Those people were shocked when I reported that absolutely nothing happened. They were sure that it would give me bad diarrhea to take that much. Yet no matter how much I took and how often it failed, they continued to insist it would eventually work. They were kind of like the raw vegans in their blind faith in this, and still are. I can't believe how much time and money I wasted on flax products. As you can probably tell, this was one of my major mistakes and I regret suggesting to others that they try ingesting it based on the amazing things it did on the surface and on the advice of Cordain and others, despite my own lack of success with it re: internal purposes. I still think it might be medicinally beneficial for some if used over brief periods, but is not advisable to ingest over longer periods. I find I benefit more from animal and seafood fats.

Both I have soaked in water first.
Just soaking psyllium in water would likely constipate me pretty badly. You're supposed to mix it in a liquid to avoid it getting too dried up and stuck in your colon.

The flax to get rid of hopefully most of the anti-nutrients, the psyl. to prevent it from soaking up the juices in my stomach etc.  It shouldn't take much, maybe a teaspoon once or twice a day.    Oh, with the flax, I always chewed it to the point of dissolvement, or blended it.  One can soak and sproat them, and lay them out to dry, which then is much easier to chew until liquid.    But this was years ago. 
If one is going to eat flaxseeds then it does make sense to sprout them, because they contain antinutrients of their own.

Psyllium husk and fiber like that makes me constipated like nuts.
Yeah, they helped me a little bit at first, but then made things worse.

If you have constipation issues then it's usually because you are over eating. You need to wait until you are very hungry until you eat and then only eat till you're not hungry any more.

On raw paleo you don't need as much food as before to get the nutrients and energy you need. When I have most energy is when I am careful not to over eat.
Problem is, if I don't eat a lot I lose weight and end up looking emaciated. I also notice that my constipation actually tends to worsen when I eat less, probably because even less feces is produced.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 08, 2010, 05:26:43 am »
sounds like you've had your fill of remedies but for what its worth I think chia seed is supposed to be far better for constipation. I know AV recommends to blend soaked chia with whole lemon and butter to be effective. but I think vegans will consume the gel (soaked in water it becomes gelatinous w/o additives) a few times a day. I've tried the AV formula and it doesn't seem to work miracles for myself, but would definitely be my choice over the dangerous flax and psyllium.

The other thing that works very well (although could be disastrous in other ways) as a last resort is fasting for a large part of a day, and eating an entire smallish watermelon, or as much as possible.

Offline ForTheHunt

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 08, 2010, 05:30:14 am »
I don't think that you'll become emaciated.

On such a high fat/protein diet I have a hard time believing you'd lose muscle.

I find that when I under eat my skin clears, my energy increases and I become more defined and healthy looking with out losing any muscle.

Take everyones advice with a grain of salt. Try things out for your self and then make up your mind.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 08, 2010, 07:13:58 am »
I don't think that you'll become emaciated.
I appreciate the suggestions, but the problem is I already lost some weight when I tried doing one meal a day and let the calories fall down to around 3000/day, and I'm very thin to begin with. I'm trying one meal a day again, but this time if I don't get enough calories in the one meal I eat another. Even now people are telling me I need to add still more weight and I've already lost a few pounds limiting myself to 1-2 meals (my last weighing said I added weight, but it must have been off). At least my strength and overall physical fitness is still gradually improving. I'm hoping that IF plus vitamin D3 (a steroid-type hormone) plus the squats, chin ups, push ups, etc. done in the ways recommended in this forum might trigger muscle growth.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 08, 2010, 09:21:55 am »
Another benefit I experienced since going Paleo and then further since going raw carnivore is less light sensitivity. I used to be extremely sensitive to light, to the point that eye exams were difficult. It has now gotten to the point where I can handle sunlight better than most people, so when my officemate asked if the harsh lights in our office were bothering me I said no, forgetting that I handle light well now. When I remembered that and learned that she wanted to dim some of the bulbs I agreed. I also am not bothered when the office gets hot or cold (unless I've worked up some heat carrying stuff and walking up and down steps), but everyone else who visits the office complains about the temps one way or the other. My body's thermostat has been working well.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 08, 2010, 10:43:39 am »
You and I are meant to be ectomorphs, Phil.  :D I love not having to worry, within reason, about gaining weight easily. That said, your metabolism might be higher than mine because you are a male. However, I do active weightlifting. I have no problem getting 2000 calories in my window for workout days. But I don't need as much as you of course.  :D

Oh, guess what? I went to a nearby farm today and got PASTURED eggs and PASTURED lard. Check this place out: http://peteandjensbackyardbirds.com/default.aspx.

I haven't tried the eggs yet, but the lard is delicious! Let me know if you are in the area sometime and I can get you some. I think I'm going to be a regular there.

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 08, 2010, 02:36:30 pm »
I appreciate the suggestions, but the problem is I already lost some weight when I tried doing one meal a day and let the calories fall down to around 3000/day, and I'm very thin to begin with. I'm trying one meal a day again, but this time if I don't get enough calories in the one meal I eat another.  
Maybe you try to eat this one meal in the short period of time? My one meal lasts up to 6 yours and I eat several times during that period.
What is really important in IF is the amount of time when you don't eat - in my case it's usually 18-20 hours. I find it the best way to eat.
Eating 3000 calories in 30 minutes would be really a bad idea. I tried that couple of times and I didn't feel good
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 09, 2010, 07:03:04 am »
...Eating 3000 calories in 30 minutes would be really a bad idea. I tried that couple of times and I didn't feel good
Yes, I agree. Right now I'm trying to eat one meal within a 3 hour evening window, but sometimes go overtime and if I don't get enough food I'll allow myself a 2nd small breakfast or lunch meal.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 10, 2010, 08:14:14 am »
I tried pastured raw beef ribs for the first time. That was some tough meat! My teeth and jaw aren't strong enough to get more than a little off and couldn't eat them, so I cooked them and it was much easier.

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 10, 2010, 08:29:44 am »
I've noticed this too. The boneless beef short ribs I got from slankers infuriated me with the horribly long time it took me to eat it raw. I'm not sure I'll be ordering them again.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 10, 2010, 09:52:03 pm »
Phil, I believe that magnesium and other minerals (as you mentioned in Tylers journal - I don't need to tell him because he knows it all better) add to the full picture; I notice that a little magnesium and other minerals (ocean gold) could be helpfull.

Kelso has never mentioned any trouble...so I don't just listen to one person; as I said, it is often the attitude - the way we deal with life.

Are you taking vitamin D3 - I found out yesterday that that is cholesterol.

Nicola

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 11, 2010, 03:26:51 pm »
Phil, I believe that magnesium and other minerals (as you mentioned in Tylers journal - I don't need to tell him because he knows it all better) add to the full picture; I notice that a little magnesium and other minerals (ocean gold) could be helpfull.

Kelso has never mentioned any trouble...so I don't just listen to one person; as I said, it is often the attitude - the way we deal with life.

Are you taking vitamin D3 - I found out yesterday that that is cholesterol.

Nicola
You must be a mind reader, Nicola, because I did up my magnesium intake, although I was reluctant to do so, and it has helped some. I also learned that coffee binds magnesium as well as zinc (duh, I should have guessed that), so that's another reason for me to stay off that. I hadn't been drinking a lot, but maybe I'm more sensitive to it than the avg person. I drank some tonight, though, because I was up late showing support for my union at a contract negotiation meeting and it was successful, thankfully.

It seems I have to face the fact that some of my nutrient deficiencies and antinutrient sensitivities to foods that many people think of as harmless (or nearly so) are still significant, though the improvements so far gives me hope that they'll resolve more fully in the not-too-distant future.

Yes, I take cod liver oil plus some additional D3, per the reasonable-sounding recommendations of Dr. Harris, Dr. William Davis, Peter of Hyperlipid, Stephan Guyenet, and others. D3 also acts as a safe steroid hormone and can reportedly boost muscle development, which would be a boon for me. It can also bind with excess calcium and in doing so make it more absorbable and avoid accumulation of excess free calcium in the bodily fluids and avoid calcium deposits in plaque on the teeth, calcium oxalate kidney stones in the kidneys (both problems that I have a history of), arterial calcium deposits, and calcifications in the joints, bursa sacs, brain, and other areas of the body. I also have a high sensitivity to dairy foods, which suggests that my body is probably designed to not need much calcium intake, as with the Neanderthals, Inuits, etc. Very high avg intake of D3 is probably one reason most Inuit didn't need to consume much calcium to avoid deficiencies in it. So I have many reasons to take D3 that I should have recognized long before this. There's just so much to learn it's overwhelming at times.

Offline Nicola

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 11, 2010, 10:38:46 pm »
Hi Phil, what have you noticed by taking more magnesium and what kind are you taking? I'm only taking this "ocean gold"; it's not like one of those supplements with a lot of magnesium (we wouldn't be getting that in nature). William mentioned that C. Louis Kervran tested oil workers in Algeria in the 1960s, and found that although their diet was very low in magnesium, their body wastes had lots of it. This was part of the database that he used to show that transmutation of the elements by microbes happens in the human body.

How much vitamin D3 are you taking - Dr. Harris once again; http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2009/8/9/vitamin-d.html

I still don't know how people can drink big amounts of water just sitting - it doesn't feel right! Do you drink after/with eating raw meat? How did the cooked meat digest?

Nicola

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:19:37 pm by Nicola »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 12, 2010, 08:24:19 am »
With that out of the way, Mg moderates my constipation and seems to make my muscles less prone to tenseness and soreness even when tired from sleep shortage or extensive workouts. I'm hoping it will also contribute to less calcium in my saliva (and possibly urine), in conjunction with vitamins D3, A and K2 through food and foodlement sources. Of course, you shouldn't take something just because I do.

How much vitamin D3 are you taking - Dr. Harris once again; http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2009/8/9/vitamin-d.html
Don't go by how much I take. You're better off reading Dr. Harris'
recommendations and figuring out the best dosage for you. Dr. William Davis also provides advice on intake levels. It's best to get your level measured, of course.

I still don't know how people can drink big amounts of water just sitting - it doesn't feel right! Do you drink after/with eating raw meat? How did the cooked meat digest?
Yes. Both. Fine.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 24, 2010, 05:28:49 am »
The no-yawning effect of ZC

I tried eating two 6 oz containers of raspberries with my meat/fat meal on Sunday night. For most of my life on a SAD diet, yawning and daydreaming were common occurrences for me. One unusual phenomenon I've mentioned in the past that I've experienced since going carnivore is near-zero yawning as long as I don't eat plant carbs. While avoiding plant carbs I only yawn at a rate of about once a week, possibly less, almost regardless of how little sleep I get, and even the few yawns I do make tend to be half-yawns, with my mouth never expanding to a full gape. Yawns are so rare for me now, that they are unusual, discrete events (rarely more than one at a time) and I can easily count count them.

Monday morning I yawned--wide, gaping yawns--7 times within an hour or so. I was quite fatigued and my muscles were slightly sore and tense. The yawning ceased after I ate plenty of suet near mid-day and I have not yawned since (despite getting less sleep than I did the night before yawning). This all may seem very minor or coincidental, but this is the third time I've replicated these results and in some investigating I did on the Web I found info indicating that at the cellular level, carbs are oxygen-depleting, whereas (at least some) fats are oxygen-promoting. Could this effect extend beyond the cellular level to the systemic level? Could carb eating deplete oxygen sufficiently to force the body to yawn and/or breathe more deeply to replace the lost oxygen, or is something else going on here?

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 24, 2010, 05:42:34 am »
*yawn*

...wait what did you say?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 24, 2010, 06:23:37 am »
Heh, heh  :D, it does seem at first blush like a joking matter, but I suspect there is more to it than just yawning. For example, Otto Heinrich Warburg, MD won the Nobel prize for his findings on the respiration of cells, particularly cancer cells (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warburg_hypothesis). Warburg found that cancer cells thrive in an anaerobic environment, because they get their energy from an anaerobic fuel source. What is that anaerobic fuel source? The anaerobic fermentation of glucose into pyruvate, presumably fueled by dietary carbs (whether only certain types of carbs provide the fuel and others don't, I don't know), as Warburg indicated in his 1966 lecture at a meeting of Nobel laureates:

"Cancer, above all other diseases, has countless secondary causes. But, even for cancer, there is only one prime cause. Summarized in a few words, the prime cause of cancer is the replacement of the respiration of oxygen in normal body cells by a fermentation of sugar." ("The Prime Cause and Prevention of Cancer," Revised Lindau Lecture, http://healingtools.tripod.com/primecause1.html/)

This toxic anaerobic process apparently bypasses the mitochondria and is apparently also found in Alzheimer's disease http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycolysis#Alzheimer.27s_disease, and doubtless other diseases of civilization as well. Because of this process, some believe that ketogenic diets are potentially effective treatments of cancer.

Believe it or not, I think that carb-induced yawning may be another (far more benign, of course) effect of this process and that it may have implications for athletic performance, since efficient oxygen use and mitochondria are so important in aerobic athletic activities. It could also just be mere fluke coincidence that I experience this no-yawning phenomenon while I avoid plant carbs, but the connections are interesting.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #223 on: March 24, 2010, 07:21:52 am »
I've noticed the lack of yawns as well Phil. Unfortunately I try hard to avoid carbs, other than a bit of liver here and there, so can't corroborate the increase with additional carbs in the diet.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 24, 2010, 09:43:06 am »
sorry, couldn't resist.

I was about to concur earlier that I had diminished yawning, as I know for certain that when I yawn in front of the GF speaking that she gets rather miffed. But I yawned just earlier and I don't really consume many carbs. I do personally attribute it at least somewhat to poor quality REM sleep but the info you listed is interesting. Certainly not new to the cancer/fermentation link, but how exactly due you see the yawning being a factor, do you think see it allowing for greater uptake of oxygen as with deeper breath? Or just as some kind of negative symptom/indication of depleted oxygen? Don't dog's yawn alot -c commercially fed at least - maybe monitoring carnivorous dogs is a better control than humans who might have other issues at play?

on basic googling - not necessarily from a reliable source - it does list Insufficient oxygen in blood as a possible cause as also opioid withdrawal, so perhaps it is linked to detox on an all raw diet. I do know the Primals think berries can trigger certain kinds of detox.

Also apparently to the ancient Greeks and Mayans, yawning was a sign which indicated that the soul of the person yawning was trying to run away from the body. So maybe meat eating isn't as soulless if there is less yawning. heh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk