Author Topic: Do you tell your farmers what the meats for??  (Read 10763 times)

Offline zaida

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Do you tell your farmers what the meats for??
« on: August 09, 2009, 08:11:07 am »
I was just talking to a natural farmer and mentioned I was looking for maybe getting some beef for raw meat eating and she went into a sprawl about how we as humans cook meats to get rid of parasites and that we do not have the digestive enzymes to digest it as our digestive systems have adapted to that of a cooked diet. I kept my mouth shut and just listened. No way have we changed our digestive systems in such a short time period! She even feeds her dogs raw too. I never had a problem getting meat for my dogs when I said it was for dog food. No one ever questioned me. What I want to know from you guys is if you all disclose what the meat you are buying is for and what the reactions are when you tell them. Do any of you say its for something else... if so what do you tell your farmers. I am a bit scared they might not end up selling to me in fear of me getting sick from it :). The chances of me finding a farmer here that eats raw meat too is going to be far from impossible. When I do get a butchering done too I will want all the fat as well which will be a new request for them I am sure so they may question what I want it for. Should I lie or be upfront?

Offline SuperInfinity

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Do you tell your farmers what the meats for??
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:36:59 am »
I suggest that you stop eating raw meat immediately as it's full of not only parasites and worms, but hormones and medications given to the animals. The only raw meat I would eat would be extremely fresh, organic meat.

As animal protein forms only a very low percentage of a true paleo diet, there is no problem. You can lightly cook eggs and get canned fish.

That lady that was talking to you about parasites etc. is no fool, she knows what she's on about. Raw, organic, ridiculously fresh meat would be fine.... but factory meat? Frozen meat? You're playing dice with your insides.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 11:09:15 am »
You do what you need to do to accomplish your objectives.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 04:19:03 pm »
There is no need to tell them. Sometimes when buying meat the butcher suggests things such as this is a good cut for whole roasting or something like that. I just be polite. say thanks pay and move on.

Offline zaida

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 10:06:17 am »
Super Infinity I would really prefer if you would only reply to my posts if it is relevant to the topic. I do not care to hear your theories on parasites. That is something to save for another topic. I was asking for info on approaching farmers for meat and how to go about explaining that I want all the fat along with the meat.

And canned fish and lightly cooking eggs? That does not sound very paleo to me. The canning process destroys so many good nutrients in the meat as does cooking. And no one can truly say what percentages make up a paleo diet as none of us were around a million years ago to know. I am not worried about percentages or whatnot. Rather I am worried about what makes me feel good and healthy. I am not on a raw paleo diet yet but I hope to be in the future.

I am not going to my grocery store and buying a raw steak or chicken to eat. I understand the importance of a healthy animal, and not necessarily organic as in my mind that simply is a packaging gimmick for a lot of companies. I want to know what the animal was fed, where it lived and if it was given any shots. 

Offline SuperInfinity

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 11:03:29 am »
Super Infinity I would really prefer if you would only reply to my posts if it is relevant to the topic. I do not care to hear your theories on parasites. That is something to save for another topic. I was asking for info on approaching farmers for meat and how to go about explaining that I want all the fat along with the meat.

Okay I admit I was indirectly trying to make a point there and probably shouldn't have suggested that. I don't like it when people suggest cutting down on fruit at the other raw food forum. The thing is though there are many people here who are very aware of such dangers with parasites etc. and you didn't seem to mention too much if you were aware you can't just eat any meat raw all the time, which could be quite dangerous.   

And canned fish and lightly cooking eggs? That does not sound very paleo to me. The canning process destroys so many good nutrients in the meat as does cooking.

Paleo man did have fire for some period, some say he had fire for a substantial period in terms of evolution, so they do count as paleo, just not raw paleo. I'd wager that cooked paleo people do better than some raw paleoists who are neglectful.

I think lightly cooked eggs and smoked fish are really not hugely off their raw counterparts. Vegetables and fruit on the other hand lose all kinds of enzymes, aminos acids, fibre and other nutritional value when cooked. Raw would be better, but for me there's a bit of a trade-off. Let some amino acids get denatured... kill off basically all of the parasites/microorganism/destroy given medications/hormones/etc.. I've said it before and I will again... as little as the FDA and USDA care about ordinary people eating the food at their standards, they sure as hell don't care about people eating it raw.   

I am not going to my grocery store and buying a raw steak or chicken to eat. I understand the importance of a healthy animal, and not necessarily organic as in my mind that simply is a packaging gimmick for a lot of companies. I want to know what the animal was fed, where it lived and if it was given any shots. 

That can be lied about or obfuscated just as organic standards can be cheated. Even if you can somehow get that information now... are you going to have the patience and ability to do that for every meat you eat for the rest of your life?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 05:25:59 pm »
SuperInfinity, you're trolling again, I see. First off, any criticism of raw diets whether to do with parasites or pro-cooking should be restricted solely to the hot topics forum. Bear in mind that this is a forum designed to benefit (and SUPPORT) those doing(or planning to do) a raw diet, it's not about denigrating them and criticising them for choosing not to follow stupid SAD-diet related choices re cooking or whatever.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 05:37:11 pm »
Zaida, it all depends. For example, I've told only 2 farmers that I eat raw meat. The first lot found out by inference(I vaguely mentioned steak tartare 2 or 3 times when asked how I prepared it) but they no longer sell organ-meats anyway so I don't deal with them. Another farmer I talked to didn't care and was just interested in the money. Another farmer never knew I wanted to eat the meat raw but made excuses not to sell to me when I kept on asking for marrow(marrow is an unusual request and forces the farmer to laboriously cut up the bones which this fool would only be prepared to do at the market thus wasting precious time that could be spent on other customers willing to pay for expensive fillet-steak which doesn't need preparation).At other times, I've been asked how I cooked my eggs and I stated that I ate them raw as bodybuilders do that often.

There's a simple way out re marrow or other unusual requests and that is to state that you own several dogs and that you feed them all on a raw-meat-diet. That way, they won't blink an eye when you ask for vast quantities of raw meat(though they may wonder at the expense of feeding one's dogs with organic grassfed meats).

Still, I admit to being non-plussed when they ask how  I like it cooked - I usually just mumble "boiled" or whatever. I only ever ask about the raw issue if I can't see the product right there and am not sure whether the stall-seller sells the food(on order) in raw or pre-cooked form(like lobster, for example).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 04:40:34 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 08:49:11 pm »
Is there some NEED to share your dietary habits with the sellers?

I've been eating raw meat for decades and I can;t remember ever sharing that info with the folks at the store. Not hiding info, just no reason to talk about it.

PS - Superinfinity: I'll direct queries I have about your above statements (specifically parasites) in the "Why Not Low Carb?" thread.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline zaida

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 12:52:54 am »
Thanks for the info Tyler and Skinny. I guess I am so use to talking to farmers for a long time to build up relationships so when one of their animal dies in birth or has bloat etc they call me first and come out and cut it up for my dogs. I will try and just keep it to myself and if they do ask just say its for my dogs.

Offline phatdave

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 01:44:58 am »
If its a great source, and they are the kind of people I like, i definately tell them what I want, and what I plan. They know what you want, and so are better at giving it to you - win win.

;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:51:40 am by phatdave »

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 04:46:30 am »
I've been eating raw meat for decades and I can;t remember ever sharing that info with the folks at the store. Not hiding info, just no reason to talk about it.

I don't share with anybody, and yes, I'm hiding :D 

I don't tell the farmers..  they don't need to know and probably don't want to know.  It's my decision, not their burden.  I'm just sure to find the best farmer in my area for the best quality of meat given the way I consume it.  I agree with what GS wrote.

I don't tell family/friends... that would just overload them with fears and worry that I might drop dead at any second.

If I felt I could share this with anyone, I would and what a relief that would be!!... I guess that's why I'm here ;)

Zaida, I also say it's for my dog, lol.  Not a total lie! 

Offline SkinnyDevil

• Chief
  • "...embrace your fear..."
    • View Profile
    • Skinny Devil Music Lab
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 07:58:59 pm »
I don't tell family/friends... that would just overload them with fears and worry that I might drop dead at any second.

Interesting.

My family knows. Some of them don't give it a second thought (like my kids), some of them are interested & want info, and some are always worried I'll get ill & maybe die...even though I've eaten raw meat for decades.

But I don;t think it keeps anyone up nights.
-
--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

Offline razmatazz

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 08:59:04 pm »
I don't share with anybody, and yes, I'm hiding :D 

I don't tell the farmers..  they don't need to know and probably don't want to know.  It's my decision, not their burden.  I'm just sure to find the best farmer in my area for the best quality of meat given the way I consume it.  I agree with what GS wrote.

If I felt I could share this with anyone, I would and what a relief that would be!!... I guess that's why I'm here ;)

Zaida, I also say it's for my dog, lol.  Not a total lie! 

I'm with you! NOBODY knows i eat this way! The farmer from whom I buy meat, organ meats and some fat doesn't question anything...even when I always ask for steak cuts with as much fat on them as possible...she's very nice.
I bought a 3kg slab of buffalo fat from the farmers market a couple of weeks ago (from another farm) and the lady there asked what it was for, but I just said i render it into fat for cooking etc

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 07:40:16 am »
When I was buying fat from a farmer they said they were "worried" about the amount of fat I eat. I be purchasing 10kg of fat and every time I sense befuddlement on their part. I think we need a slankers type place available where there is no personal communication.

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 07:59:26 am »
I think we need a slankers type place available where there is no personal communication.
I've told both of the people I've ordered from at Slanker's exactly what I'm doing with the food and it doesn't phase them in the least.
Hell, there's only 4 people who could answer the phone AFAIK so even Slanker's is "personal communication".
It really comes down to the open-mindedness of the vendor. Some people will be understanding about how we eat and some will be rigid in their beliefs that it's unhealthy.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 08:40:09 am »
SuperInfinity, you're trolling again, I see. First off, any criticism of raw diets whether to do with parasites or pro-cooking should be restricted solely to the hot topics forum. Bear in mind that this is a forum designed to benefit (and SUPPORT) those doing(or planning to do) a raw diet, it's not about denigrating them and criticising them for choosing not to follow stupid SAD-diet related choices re cooking or whatever.

Superinfinity is not criticising anyone for following a raw diet. He is trying to help in the way that he feels is right. Part of the support for an intelligent person, is seeing the criticisms, and seeing them being crushed by sensible reasoning. Seeing the different sides, and making your own decisions.

This is the 'Raw Paleo Forum', so discussions should be about 'raw paleo', positive and/or negative. You should just make sure that you can always neutralise the negative, but through words, not force.

Freedom of speech allows people to make educated decisions which they can be confident in.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 08:46:10 am by miles »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 09:02:58 am »
Superinfinity is not criticising anyone for following a raw diet. He is trying to help in the way that he feels is right. Part of the support for an intelligent person, is seeing the criticisms, and seeing them being crushed by sensible reasoning. Seeing the different sides, and making your own decisions.

This is the 'Raw Paleo Forum', so discussions should be about 'raw paleo', positive and/or negative. You should just make sure that you can always neutralise the negative, but through words, not force.

Freedom of speech allows people to make educated decisions which they can be confident in.

yes, let's just let anyone troll the boards, that's a great way to keep people focused and a great way to keep the contributors from whom we can actually learn something from withdrawing valuable participation.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 09:21:33 am »
I've told both of the people I've ordered from at Slanker's exactly what I'm doing with the food and it doesn't phase them in the least.
Hell, there's only 4 people who could answer the phone AFAIK so even Slanker's is "personal communication".
It really comes down to the open-mindedness of the vendor. Some people will be understanding about how we eat and some will be rigid in their beliefs that it's unhealthy.

I think the more customers a place has, the less they are phased by unusual orders.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 03:03:37 pm »
yes, let's just let anyone troll the boards, that's a great way to keep people focused and a great way to keep the contributors from whom we can actually learn something from withdrawing valuable participation.

si was superhyperactive due to eating tons of sugar and processed foods and a chemical brain imbalance apparently that drove him/her to make a ridiculous number of antiRAF posts constantly all day long here. 

Miles, would you like his/her email address so that you can ask him/her whatever you are searching for?  Are you already friends?  I know that at least one member here has si's email address, or has spoken with him/her other than in forum here.  Would you like me to try to get si's email address for you? 
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 03:06:58 pm »
    I have numerous sources.  I tell them what I eat if it will help me, and if I feel comfortable to tell them.  Generally I like better talking with people in reference food in person in stores.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline Yume

• Forager
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 03:37:02 pm »
Everyone I know knows that I eat my meat raw, including the farmer that I buy it from. Some people are interested and the rest really just don't care. I Never saw any reason not to tell people.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 05:21:58 pm »
Everyone I know knows that I eat my meat raw, including the farmer that I buy it from. Some people are interested and the rest really just don't care. I Never saw any reason not to tell people.

I wouldn't mind if someone just thought it was strange. But to say they don't think it's healthy etc makes me worried they will be reluctant to keep selling foods and just say they don't have any this month or something along those lines thinking that they are actually helping me.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 07:36:53 pm »
I wouldn't mind if someone just thought it was strange. But to say they don't think it's healthy etc makes me worried they will be reluctant to keep selling foods and just say they don't have any this month or something along those lines thinking that they are actually helping me.
  Exactly. I've had that happen to me once or twice(I asked for brains in 1 case!)
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 09:06:49 pm »
Superinfinity is not criticising anyone for following a raw diet. He is trying to help in the way that he feels is right.

Utter rubbish. SI spent most of his posts attacking people for following a rawpalaeodiet, preaching at people  to go on largely fruitarian diets and much worse. It wouldn't have mattered all that much if he'd actually had something of substance to say on occasion, but he never did, just stupidly stating clear falsehoods as fact, such as a claim that we were largely fruitarian in the palaeolithic. What clinches it is that he got banned from a raw vegan/fruitarian forum, implying that he wasn't even a genuine fruitarian, just a troll trying to antagonise everybody he came across.

Most people here have been very benevolent in attitude, even if a few of them didn't agree with absolutely all rawpalaeo principles. There is always the Hot Topics forum for those wishing to air controversial topics from time to time, at any rate. What is absolutely unacceptable, though, is for the occasional fanatical anti-raw fundamentalist to come onto this forum and constantly condemn us for eating this way. This is a forum designed to promote a raw, palaeolithic diet and to support those wishing to follow a raw, palaeolithic diet not a forum for denigrating them or deriding their experiences.It is also not a forum for promoting cooked foods or non-palaeo foods such as haagen dasz ice-cream, big macs or whatever. There are plenty of other forums devoted to cooked foods and the like where such trolls can freely post, but only a few forums devoted to raw, palaeolithic diets.

" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk