Author Topic: Ioanna's Journal  (Read 137793 times)

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Ioanna's Journal
« Reply #275 on: December 06, 2011, 07:20:18 am »
I've had a number of unfortunate rants but I don't see them as anti-carb. more "anti" the idea that eating -whatever- natural raw foods -those that were around only 200,000 (or is it now 500 k or a mil?  :o ) -necessarily promotes good health and everything else as some kind of agent of death.

I am sold on the 'moderated' carbs thing as a tool for making a higher fat diet more workable which in-turn I see as 'more healing' I suppose - at least in short term, but open to any actual science or experience rebutting that. If people are doing well *measurably* while focusing on protein and carbs it matters less of course from that perspective how many more carbs I guess. I've said that,  but does seem to create even more issues often. In nature there are problems with too many sugars even in species arguably designed to eat sugars, and in humans - examples to contrast and compare as well. Many more problems of course are due to people not being in a great place to eat in the ways recommended, due to internal physical problems, but they also seem to exist in nature before modern foods/problems, and not fundamentally needed in nature either.

I think often what people are talking about is coming from a place of what at best would be a maintenance diet. The idea that humans at one point thrived on natural carbs sources -if this was what the data showed- wouldn't be particularly upsetting to me. This is particularly true if people are eating the way known HG's actually eat and not substituting a bunch of assumptions about which SHOULD BE better but often for many reasons -isn't. For some reasons, the idea that one has to do certain extra things to improve their health often is too disturbing or abrasive to their current idea of healthy living. This seems true even if often this is just matching other ways people have eaten in nature successfully or have real evidence of having the quickest or more effective modes in the current world, so go figure.

I  don't happen to think fruits are better carb sources per-se than alot of other foods commonly eaten by HGs that are not sweet, raw, or 'paleo' and that fruits never made up the majority of any hominid that-was-also-human's regular diet, but I don't think that is anti-carbs either. I eat carbs quite regularly. Usually not a whole lot, but periodically as much as I care for, which still isn't alot. As i just mentioned, I see being able to eat carbs without symptoms(which happened more so after a process of eating very little) not as an adaptation to poison that is for sure. :)

ok back to Ioanna :)

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #276 on: December 06, 2011, 10:14:50 am »
Glad to hear you're doing so well Ioanna. It definitely sounds like you're improving in leaps and bounds. Go you. :D
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 06, 2011, 12:19:31 pm »
thanks, dorothy!! :)
Isn't Dorothy great, BTW?

I've had a number of unfortunate rants ...
Hee, hee, and we love you nonetheless, KD! And I love how you honestly and earnestly try to help people, even when they misunderstand and snipe at you in return. And don't worry, I've had plenty of rants too.

Sure, you and I could learn to write more succintly, but I love how you put so much effort and thoughtfulness into your posts. And anyone who likes Ionna is OK in my book.  :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 12:24:46 pm by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 06, 2011, 12:50:25 pm »
i've missed you guys :D

2+ years has not felt like leaps and bounds, but now i cannot believe where i am.  i ate almonds yesterday and did just fine. that's huge for me!  i'm so invincible again :D

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 06, 2011, 09:33:31 pm »
Isn't Dorothy great, BTW?
Hee, hee, and we love you nonetheless, KD! And I love how you honestly and earnestly try to help people, even when they misunderstand and snipe at you in return. And don't worry, I've had plenty of rants too.

Sure, you and I could learn to write more succintly, but I love how you put so much effort and thoughtfulness into your posts. And anyone who likes Ionna is OK in my book.  :)

heh, thanks.

I figured with my usual humor or the ass-slapping workout thread banter I could get away with more thorough nerdyness and articulation of how I really feel on alot of this stuff without coming across as out-there, but alas I agree I am not the most clear writer. Alot of time i'm trying to compose things at work in between customers and sometimes I just up and hit 'post' and then frantically try to moved things around while doing other things. I'm luckily more coherent in person, but I have noticed I talk in the -stuff [(stuff) stuff] - type of brackets as well.  :/

I'd also like to think I must just have a wider screen than most folks...ok ok, I could use a good editor. It seems like some of these points of discussion are so broad its hard not to try to cover all ones bases and then come up with something perhaps way less concise than one expected. The above should probably be moved to the 'lifestyles' thread/journal with a quote from ck...if that is possible.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 07, 2011, 10:25:17 am »
KD, unfortunately I failed at communicating it to you early on, and I know I am a terrible communicator, but I hope I can manage OK now, that I never meant to come across as harshly critical of you, and I would take one person with real heart and soul like you or Ioanna or Dorothy over a thousand heartless articulate geniuses any day (no offense intended to anyone at this forum)--and I'm not saying you're not smart; quite the contrary--I just value heart (or liver, in traditional terms) more. Folks like you, Ioanna and Dorothy add spice and joy to life. I can't thank you beautiful people enough. I hope you don't mind the excessive sentimentality.

The best compliment I can give anyone is to call them Real People, of which you are one. If others can't see the goodness of your soul through the fog of wordiness, then the hell with them (though I wouldn't really wish hell on anyone, LOL).

Bless up, one love, mi bredda, and I only say that to people I really like. :D Your attempts to forthrightly and earnestly help others have not gone unnoticed.

Heh, heh, and I actually like your wordiness, as it makes me look a little less wordy; I like to think. LOL
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 03:40:21 pm by TylerDurden »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 08, 2011, 02:36:44 am »
Phil - the more sentimental you get the more I love you!

KD - I said it before and I'll say it again - how you express yourself makes me feel like I'm home. I love reading what you write. I've learned so very much from you!

I can't believe you do that at work! You're amazing.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 11, 2011, 02:15:58 am »
Thanks Dorothy. To you all...

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!
--An Irish Blessing

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #283 on: December 11, 2011, 05:29:14 am »
I'm going to add to the pile. You guys all add a ton to the forum, and by way of that my continuing good health, and I thank you all for your kind words, inspiration, and especially everyone's good senses of humor. You make my our time online brighter. :D
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 22, 2013, 12:59:42 am »
i've missed you guys! i've moved to a new city, so i'm a little slow getting myself organized and my life back on track. it will take me some time to get caught up, but hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the summer! ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk