Author Topic: Ioanna's Journal  (Read 137804 times)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Ioanna's Journal
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 06:48:30 am »
I really wanted to see Les Miserables this year, but it's a UK year... lot's of shows in London and I always wanted to visit London and specifically to include visiting the theatre, hmmmm.... 

Well, anyone near London has a great touring musical!... if you're into that kinda thing :)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 12:02:55 pm »
I started at one day aged and now eating two to three day aged meat.  I just keep it uncovered in the refrigerator.  This is so extremely agreeable for me, I continue to see improvements in my digestion. Makes me think that high meat will probably be great, but I'm not that brave yet  -[

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 03:10:25 pm »
I started at one day aged and now eating two to three day aged meat.  
Ionna, it's really the fresh meat :)
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2010, 05:03:05 am »
i've been doing so well with the aged meats (tends to be about 3-7 or so days depending on when i get to it, but i just put a whole bunch of meat in the fridge that will take me quite some time to eat) that i just since this past week try aging and then eating more varieties of meats/fats and from more varieties of sources that had been a problem for me up until now. Aging the meat or fat (e.g. bone marrow had been a problem until yesterday) has made more foods for me! :)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 05:14:08 am »
I just want to add that this was brave experimentation for me since if it didn't work I would have had quite a painful weekend, lol. 

I'm going to try aging more variety... maybe organs soon and maybe different animal type. Maybe I'll even try keeping at room temp?  (Who does this?... please tell me about how/where/time duration you keep meats.)

I tried aging two foods; one is bone marrow and the other is beef (instead of the bison i usually get) from 'my' farmer. Both I always enjoyed the taste, but they didn't digest well at all.  Aged they digest just fine. So, after this weekend, the foods I can eat with ease of digestion went from 2 to 4.  Can't wait to try more! :)

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2010, 05:15:49 am »
Have you  been aging bones with marrow? AFAIK they devolop "smell" very rapidly ;)
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2010, 06:06:55 am »
Have you  been aging bones with marrow? AFAIK they devolop "smell" very rapidly ;)

I've been scooping out the marrow and mushing it in with the meat. 

I give the bone to my dog to gnaw on, and yep.. they smell!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 07:20:11 am by Ioanna »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2010, 06:57:32 am »
i've been doing so well with the aged meats (tends to be about 3-7 or so days depending on when i get to it, but i just put a whole bunch of meat in the fridge that will take me quite some time to eat) that i just since this past week try aging and then eating more varieties of meats/fats and from more varieties of sources that had been a problem for me up until now. Aging the meat or fat (e.g. bone marrow had been a problem until yesterday) has made more foods for me! :)

That's great to hear! I've found the same thing. Air-aged suet tastes better to me and seems to digest a bit better (and my fat digestion has also continually improved) so that I no longer need to make suet into tallow unless I want to.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2010, 07:05:05 am »
Phil, you mean your fat digestion's actually improved over time? Or just that aged-suet is easier to digest?
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2010, 07:43:00 am »
I'm not sure, since both happened together, so it's hard to separate them out. I do know that the aged suet is much easier to chew, so I suspect it may digest better.

It's also probably even more important to drink plenty of water when eating partially dried meats and fats.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2010, 08:35:35 am »
Congratulations Ioanna. I know that feeling of dread/anxiety due to an ever-dwindling list of "safe foods" and the joy of finding a way to reverse it. It's great to hear that you've found a way for yourself. ;D
Have you had a chance to try any organs like you've mentioned you wanted to do in the past? It's a whole 'nother vista of foods to enjoy if they sit well. :)
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2010, 10:11:31 am »
thanks paleophil and djr!

Have you had a chance to try any organs like you've mentioned you wanted to do in the past? It's a whole 'nother vista of foods to enjoy if they sit well. :)

not yet, i've been afraid... , but now i'm feeling much more confident. i think i'll try mixing some small or ground pieces in with my meat and then letting that age for a few days.  i'm so excited!!... i'll let you know :) ... probably will take me a couple weeks.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2010, 08:57:46 pm »
You've mentioned before that your IBS is cured by eating raw meat but you have noticed no other improvements? Is that still the case?

What sort of workouts do you do?

Do you plan to go add more socially friendly foods?

Thanks
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2010, 07:58:14 am »
You've mentioned before that your IBS is cured by eating raw meat but you have noticed no other improvements? Is that still the case?

Well,  IBS was my greatest obstacle... I'm not sure what else to use as a measure for improvement or if you have something in mind?  I don't think I've changed on the outside.  If you count these as improvements: I've learned to listen to myself over my peers, doctors, and 'gurus'... I have confidence (both restored and gained)... I just know my body is thriving now.  I have very dry skin at my heels... if that ever clears up I'll be shocked!, but I'll let you know. I used to burp all the time.. like in the morning during a workout I'd be tasting whatever I ate the last evening... that stopped immediately, I almost forgot to mention that it was so long ago.

What sort of workouts do you do?

I used to be into endurance training... mainly swimming and triathlons ('sprint distance', not ironman or anything close!) with weights on the side.  I did well in races, so I just kept doing them. I like racing, and I like the mental component... like I'm sure I've finished ahead of competitors just because I didn't 'give up' first. I started getting recognition in my town among triathloners... people were willing to pay me ridiculous amount of money imo for an hour swim lesson or so.  So the sport started becoming a life style.  I had to be sure to get enough sleep though or I will be an emotional wreck and very irritated.  My body type has never been as toned as I would like... more just skinny wo definition. 

Now I'm trying something new... sprinting and heavy weights... to see how my body adjusts.  It's winter, so I've been mostly wight training and joined a volleyball team, yoga on the weekend.

Do you plan to go add more socially friendly foods?

Thanks

No.. I'm too scared!!... I tried a cooked chicken breast (was either from my farmer or hfs, and totally plain) a few months ago and that brought me right back to 'square one'... I have no idea why... but if chicken doesn't work, I don't know what will?  I hate it, but I am anti-social eater entirely  -[ 

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2010, 08:35:32 am »
And I'm still trying to figure out the timing/number of meals.

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2010, 09:26:13 pm »
Thanks Ioanna.

Interesting to hear about your triathlons, I think weights and sprints are healthier than Tri's. Over exercising can make me moody while weight HIIT chill me out. You sound like you were a Tri natural.

If your heels ever heal, let me know! Mine have improved but not totally. They still annoy me.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2010, 03:42:15 am »
  I've never had dry heels, so this is just a hunch.  Pumice stones to remove excess, and then rubbing marrow into the skin routinely.    And I think it is important to routinely scrape the excess dry skin off.  I think it interferes with natural sluffing of cells.  This would have happened naturally due to going barefoot or walking as much as we would have on natural terrain. 

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2010, 08:09:09 am »
over the weekend i ate a most satisfying meal of bone marrow with some lean... was so tasty and satisfying... neither were aged, and bone marrow has given me problems in the past when i eat it without aging... this has set me back considerably!! :(  .... frustrating!!!!

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2010, 08:35:10 am »
...I have very dry skin at my heels...
Do you have white circles of dead skin that get larger and the skin peels off, or just dry, cracking skin?

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2010, 08:45:35 am »
just dry, cracking skin...

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2010, 08:53:01 am »
Most of my dry skin went away when I upped my intake of animal saturated fats, but I still get some on my forehead where the dry winter wind hits it, especially if I eat occasional berries or other carbs. So I rub saturated fats into the skin on my forehead (cocoa butter, tallow, coconut oil, etc.)--especially before going outside. Maybe eating lots of saturated and monounsaturated fats and putting some on your heels would help you too, I don't know.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2010, 08:56:37 am »
i'll give that a try, especially if i can't eat my bone marrow :(

i used to have a jar of tallow to keep for dry skin/hair, but it's so hard at room temp that it was difficult to use... i can get the fat for no cost though, so maybe i will try again

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2010, 09:04:24 am »
not sure how long i'll be brave enough to keep this posted, but this is me at this very moment as i sit and type here... it's not a before or after, it's 6 months in and just finally on my way.  at my worst, i was more than 25lbs less than my current weight... i don't have any photos from this horrible time.  i'm not really looking to make any outward changes... maybe to get my strength back... just want my digestive system to be well again

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2010, 09:21:46 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :o
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Paleo Donk

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2010, 09:30:23 am »
how about some pics with full-body armor on

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk