Author Topic: Ioanna's Journal  (Read 137772 times)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Ioanna's Journal
« Reply #150 on: August 30, 2010, 06:44:02 am »
Scallops and oysters yesterday and all good :)  This is so exciting, I'm so happy and healthy :)  And oysters are socially acceptable so now I've got my social food.  I think scallops are usually cooked though? 

Hi Cinna - I'm still trying to find what my favorite sources too.  Every time I think I've got it, I either move or (as recently) a farmer starts including grains or something.  I try to keep it local too, like you.  Lol, and similar in the way I cut the plastic packaging, too funny.  I try to cut it as soon as possible too so the meat won't sit any longer in that material... just in case that helps :)

And I love your new photo!  Your last avatar was beautiful, but now we can see more of your face so you're even more beautiful! :)

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2010, 07:54:25 am »
Scallops and oysters yesterday and all good :)  This is so exciting, I'm so happy and healthy :)  And oysters are socially acceptable so now I've got my social food.  I think scallops are usually cooked though? 
Fantastic news. And such good foods to find out you can tolerate. ;D
If oysters work you should give clams and mussels a shot to see if they sit good as well. Cockles are a possibility as well but I'm not sure how much harder they are to open. It definitely opens up a vista of culinary possibilities when out to eat though. Congrats. :)
Oh, I don't know if you'll find scallops raw at a restaurant but maybe you could request them raw as most seafood is now viewed as acceptable to be be under-cooked or raw in the west.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Opportunistic Carnivore
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2010, 08:17:27 am »
Make sure you get get unshucked oysters. These are delicous.
“Integrity has no need of rules.”

Albert Camus

Offline Cinna

• Bear Hunter
  • "dreamy/dreamer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 30, 2010, 05:41:37 pm »
Oh, I don't know if you'll find scallops raw at a restaurant but maybe you could request them raw as most seafood is now viewed as acceptable to be be under-cooked or raw in the west.

This seems to be true. My fave seafood guy at WF said that people will ask for some scallops on just the paper (unwrapped) because they're going to eat it straight away/in the store. He (seafood guy) knows that I'm eating raw and doesn't recommend that I eat most of the things raw, but he offered to make me some fresh raw seafood poke (I think not currently on our menu, but available by special request - and/or the prepared foods poke contains cooked seafood) if I come in early enough and ask him (whenever I talk to him, I'm shopping right before closing time). He also said he would grill sardines for me... I asked him if he would undercook them for me and he said yes, they would be raw inside. People are so wonderful. :)

I try to keep it local too, like you.  Lol, and similar in the way I cut the plastic packaging, too funny.  I try to cut it as soon as possible too so the meat won't sit any longer in that material... just in case that helps :)

And I love your new photo!  Your last avatar was beautiful, but now we can see more of your face so you're even more beautiful! :)

Lol, I cut it asap too - straight from the store (frozen) to the ref for defrosting. :)

Aw, thank you for the compliment, beautiful - you are too sweet. I'm just vain, lol. It's really the gig make-up and flat-ironing and requisite "natural" straightening elixir hair product. Not paleo, but when you have long curly/crazy hair all the time, sometimes you just really want a change (I had most of my hair cut off last last spring, but I wanted to grow it out again for work). You might not recognize me when I'm not gigging. ;)  After changing out of costume, the first thing I have to, have to, have to take off is lipstick/lipgloss. I hate wearing anything on my lips besides maybe natural lip balm and I never wear lipstick when I'm not performing. I don't like the thought of inadvertently eating lipstick or making other people eat lipstick when they kiss you. ;D  (Icky, I don't like the mess.) I like talking about scallops, raw pet food, hair, and lipstick in the same post. :D

Offline Cinna

• Bear Hunter
  • "dreamy/dreamer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 06, 2010, 05:25:20 am »
Hi, Ioanna! Did you get an ab ball chair? Or did you get a regular ab ball and "make it" a chair? Have you been using it at work? How is it working out for you? :)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 06, 2010, 05:33:22 am »
Hi, Ioanna! Did you get an ab ball chair? Or did you get a regular ab ball and "make it" a chair? Have you been using it at work? How is it working out for you? :)

I got an ab ball (or balance ball?).. and I call it my 'chair' :) I like it much better than the chair I had before, and it even rolls right under my desk.  I got it last week, and since then haven't had to sit too much (a good thing!), but I'll be at my desk soon enough to give a better report!  I know my co-workers like it... they told me they've been doing crunches on it when I'm not using it  :) 

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 12, 2010, 01:54:54 am »
It's opening night tonight for my play... woohoo... I'm so excited!!

The downside to this fun is that stage makeup makes my nose run :(

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 12, 2010, 03:15:10 am »
I got an ab ball (or balance ball?).. and I call it my 'chair' :) I like it much better than the chair I had before, and it even rolls right under my desk.  I got it last week, and since then haven't had to sit too much (a good thing!), but I'll be at my desk soon enough to give a better report!  I know my co-workers like it... they told me they've been doing crunches on it when I'm not using it  :)  
Which do you think is better, an ab-ball or a height-adjustable ab-ball chair or kneeling-type chairs: ? I like rocking chairs, so I'm thinking I might like a rocking kneeling chair, but it doesn't look adjustable (so it might not be fit my desk) and I doubt it encourages as much active sitting as a ball does.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 03:37:12 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Cinna

• Bear Hunter
  • "dreamy/dreamer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 12, 2010, 05:13:21 am »

The downside to this fun is that stage makeup makes my nose run :(

Break a leg, girlie!! ;D

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #159 on: September 12, 2010, 07:06:56 am »
Good luck with it Ioanna. :)

As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 17, 2010, 10:26:27 am »
Thanks guys, all went super! and so fun!!

The woman that played my character on Broadway was there and she gave me such a great compliment!... she said she wished she could have interpreted the lines the way I did.  She can't be for real, I'm sure she had her own brilliant way, but still a nice thing to say after opening night.  And I got invited by another director at the show to do another Shakespeare.. I just don't know when that will be.

I'll try to post some cast pics soon.

This has taken all my free time, that once it's over (this weekend is the last weekend) I'm going to be so bummed :(  ... all the more reason for a trip to SoCal :D

It's about a year for me of rpd, and I'm just in awe of where I am.  A year ago I could not even eat fresh meat without taking a few steps backward.  Seems I needed to age everything.  I haven't tried any fruits or veg this summer, but I have been eating all kinds of seafood (fresh), marrow, red meats (mostly aged and beef or bison, but if I eat fresh I'll be just fine too), and.. I think that's about it.  I am so happy and well!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:53:38 am by Ioanna »

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 18, 2010, 09:14:46 pm »
Thanks guys, all went super! and so fun!!

The woman that played my character on Broadway was there and she gave me such a great compliment!... she said she wished she could have interpreted the lines the way I did.  She can't be for real, I'm sure she had her own brilliant way, but still a nice thing to say after opening night.  And I got invited by another director at the show to do another Shakespeare.. I just don't know when that will be.

I'll try to post some cast pics soon.

This has taken all my free time, that once it's over (this weekend is the last weekend) I'm going to be so bummed :(  ... all the more reason for a trip to SoCal :D

It's about a year for me of rpd, and I'm just in awe of where I am.  A year ago I could not even eat fresh meat without taking a few steps backward.  Seems I needed to age everything.  I haven't tried any fruits or veg this summer, but I have been eating all kinds of seafood (fresh), marrow, red meats (mostly aged and beef or bison, but if I eat fresh I'll be just fine too), and.. I think that's about it.  I am so happy and well!

Go for it, your fairly easy on the eye. Might even get more chicks into raw, theres not many.

Albert Camus

Offline dashcow

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 19, 2010, 04:07:21 am »
hey what was ur play? x

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 19, 2010, 05:19:47 am »
Congrats Wonder Woman! I like the photo with the glasses best, actually.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2010, 05:44:01 pm »
Cool. you look so healthy. I thought the glasses photo was the best too, congrats on one year,

Albert Camus

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2010, 11:01:45 pm »
hey what was ur play? x

'much ado about nothing'  .. same language, but costume and design to the 1980's.. i like shakespeare done in the classic way, but this was still fun, and hopefully entertaining!

paleophil and wodg - thank you!!

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 24, 2010, 09:54:38 am »
oh, gosh, i can't believe this day has come..

i get from my farmer a dog-food mix that (he says) is meat, heart, liver, and kidney.

it always smelled really good, and i can't remember how long ago, but i thought about trying some as way to incorporate organ meat.  i have no idea how many months (mental preparation) after this i actually started eating these itsy bitsy bites (imagine sour face) daily.  the bites got bigger, and now.. i just like eating my dog's food  -X

surely, i will be single for life ;)

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #168 on: September 24, 2010, 09:59:23 am »
;D
Way to go!
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Hannibal

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 24, 2010, 12:48:43 pm »
No, don't think like that.  :)
Do you blame vultures for the carcass they eat?
Livin' off the raw grass fat of the land

Offline wodgina

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 24, 2010, 07:43:37 pm »
oh, gosh, i can't believe this day has come..

i get from my farmer a dog-food mix that (he says) is meat, heart, liver, and kidney.

it always smelled really good, and i can't remember how long ago, but i thought about trying some as way to incorporate organ meat.  i have no idea how many months (mental preparation) after this i actually started eating these itsy bitsy bites (imagine sour face) daily.  the bites got bigger, and now.. i just like eating my dog's food  -X

I really LOLed at that! heheh

Albert Camus

Offline miles

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 04, 2010, 03:46:01 am »
5-10% off your first purchase at http://www.iherb.com/ with dicount code: KIS978

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 04, 2010, 04:11:56 am »
thanks, miles! ;)

i was walking my dog around the neighborhood while a nearby high school x-country team was out running.  there were three girls at the end of the pack (of boys) running barefoot.  actually, two were barefoot, one kept her fluorescent green socks on.  anyway, i was glad to see this.  and yesterday there was a guy walking into whole foods with 5-fingers. a good start for the midwest! :)

Offline yuli

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 04, 2010, 05:35:13 am »
This summer me and a friend took some mushrooms, went out to sushi, then ended up running barefoot home just for fun (it was like a 40-50 min run) through the city streets and then through a huge golf course, it was raining buckets so running in my wet leather sandals was rubbing on my feet too much. My feet felt all warm and fuzzy after, like a lot of blood was flowing through them, it was amazing. However the only reason I ran through the city barefoot was because there was so much rain that it literally washed the sidewalks, otherwise I am sure I would've stepped on broken glass.

Its very very enjoyable running on warm, wet concrete in the summer, everyone should try it on a really rainy, hot night. I heard that we should not run on concrete barefoot but I didn't find any problem with it, in fact the hardness of the concrete was teaching me to step more "softly" and I started using more of my foot muscles then when running on grass barefoot.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 04, 2010, 10:33:54 am »
I used to think that there were no potential problems with barefooting and barefoot-style-shoe walking or running on concrete, but after walking (with a brief sprint two or three times a day) to work every weekday on it for nearly 2 miles a day in Vivo Barefoot shoes, I did start to develop chronic pain and weakness in my right foot, which had never given me a problem before. In contrast, when I walked the same distance on a different route to work (from my old apartment) on mostly blacktop and grass I never experienced a problem over a nearly two year period, even though I was doing more extensive sprinting during those walks. Concrete is apparently a harder, denser surface than blacktop.

I'm not saying that anyone else would necessarily have any problems with concrete, just sharing my personal experience. Also, injuries from running on concrete are apparently not unheard of, though most of them have of course occurred in wearers of shoes with raised heels:

"Some runners may experience injuries when running on concrete surfaces. The problem with running on concrete is that the body adjusts to this flat surface running and some of the muscles will become weaker, along with the added impact of running on a harder surface. Therefore it is advised to change terrain occasionally – such as trail, beach, or grass running. This is more unstable ground and allows the legs to strengthen different muscles." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running

"Shin splints

Symptoms
Pain in the shins

Causes
Overpronation
Running on hard surfaces like concrete sidewalks
..."

http://www.half-marathon-running.com/running-injuries.html
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:39:25 am by PaleoPhil »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk